Michael Jasper article from his hometown paper

It's not available online. Enjoy!

Mt. Juliet's Jasper drafted in seventh round by Bills

Lineman expected to rejoin Bear teammate Brown in Buffalo

By: Andy Reed

Mount Juliet News

Posted: Thursday, May 5, 2011 8:25 am

Seven seasons after playing on the football team at Mt. Juliet High School, quarterback Levi Brown and lineman Michael Jasper will sweat through training camp with the Buffalo Bills, provided the NFL lockout has ended.

A year after Brown was drafted in the seventh round by the Bills, Jasper was taken in the same round Saturday out of Bethel University.

Like Brown, Jasper was a Golden Bear senior in 2004. But the pair went separate ways in college. Brown matriculated at Richmond before transferring to Troy where he rewrote the Trojan record book and became Sun Belt Conference Player of the Year.

Jasper was more off the radar. Signing with UT-Martin out of high school, he made his way to the NAIA school in McKenzie. The Wildcats are a Mid-South Conference rival of Cumberland's.

A 430-pound two-year starter guard for the Wildcats, Jasper shed over 70 pounds from a high of 448 in January to what he said during a Saturday teleconference is his current 375.

He projects to be a nosetackle for the Bills.

"I'm quick off the ball," Jasper said. "I got to 378 pounds, and the speed and quickness has come along with it.

"It's just been a lot of dedication and hard work. To be honest, just watch what you eat, drink water and treat your body right and [losing weight is] not that hard."

"He vertical jumps 32 inches and he long jumps like 9-5 and he dunks a basketball with both hands," Buffalo general manager Buddy Nix said. "His body fat is not real high. He's an exceptional athlete.

"We would've signed him as a free agent so we just drafted him and didn't have to go after him, and we're going to see if he can play.

"He played offense," Bills coach Chan Gailey said. "He's played some defense but he played offense in college. He wants to be a nose and we're going to give him a shot to be that and see where it goes from there."

Jasper said the Bills showed the most interest in him leading up to the draft, but didn't expect to hear his name called.

"I didn't think it was going to happen," Jasper said. "It's a dream come true and this is where I want to be, so I'm ecstatic.

"I had a small inkling, but coming from a small school, they had the most interest. But for them to actually put it into action, it's a big deal."

Jasper was well north of 300 pounds even as a Golden Bear as he served as a straight-ahead place kicker in addition to anchoring both sides of the line. After sitting out a year on academic probation after transferring to Bethel, he started off on defense in a 3-4 alignment. But with issues on offense, he was asked to move to that side of the ball.

"I'm just excited to get back to where I belong on the defensive side of the ball," Jasper said. "It's in the trenches. It's me versus you. There's no help really. You've got to beat your man, you've got to control your gap and you've got to do your job to be successful and I like that pressure. On the offensive side of the ball, it's a lot of Xs and Os, a lot of double teams and a lot of help and really depending on another person."

But before that happens, the lockout has to be settled or a court order blocking it has to stick. In a normal year, Jasper would report for a rookie orientation within a week or two, sign a contract and report to training camp in late July. All that's on hold for now.

Brown also has to stay away from the Bills' complex in Orchard Park, N.Y., during the lockout. He was among the final cuts before last season began, but re-signed several weeks into the season following the release of veteran starter Trent Edwards. He served as the No. 3 quarterback behind new starter Ryan Fitzpatrick and No. 2 Brian Brohm. Buffalo drafted only two offensive players last week – a lineman and a running back. Barring a free-agent signing, there shouldn't be a new face in the QB rotation this fall.