(OT) Turkey and wing fryer deal

Fezmid

http://i.slickdeals.net/forums/showthread....7742#post737742

The basic deal is a turkey fryer with BTU burner (connect to propane tank) with turkey pan, ,fish fryer (also useful for wings) for $50, shipped free. It's normally $100 if you buy the package deal, so this is 50% off.

Now I just have to try not to burn my house down..... I'm hoping that if I follow the directions, I'll be fine... Hopefully soon I'll be eating wings half as good as the CNJBBB :lol:

CW

If it comes with the 20# LP tank then that's a steal!!  100 seems high... I picked one up a few years back a Menards out here and it was about 60 bucks... Anyway, sounds like you are getting a good deal!

Watch the wooden deck... and don't melt the siding! :lol:

:lol:

163664[/snapback]

I don't think it comes with the propane tank, but that's no big deal.

Probably going to use the thing in the driveway -- that way if something happens, it'll roll down the driveway, into the street, and won't (hopefully) blow up the house...

Any recommendations on cooking? Any recommendations on how to not kill myself? :P

CW

Fill the pot with water, then submerge the turkey to judge how much oil you'll need. Mark ON THE OUTSIDE of the pot with a sharpie the water level, dump, dry, fill with oil and heat up. Inject your bird with whatever liquid seasoning you'd like. I really enjoy the cajun/butter sauce. Gently, put the turkey into the pot when the oil reaches temp. Make sure to have a meat thermometer in the bird though, as it will cook quickly. As for safety tips, just don't overfill the oil, leave the tank on a level area, away from overhanging house parts or trees, and watch the temperature of the oil. All will be safe.

I don't think it comes with the propane tank, but that's no big deal.

Probably going to use the thing in the driveway -- that way if something happens, it'll roll down the driveway, into the street, and won't (hopefully) blow up the house...

Any recommendations on cooking?  Any recommendations on how to not kill myself? :lol:

CW

163671[/snapback]

1.Common Sense is the rule...

2. Filling the pot with water to find the oil level is a good tip...

3. Always use peanut oil (goes without saying for wings,great taste high flashpoint).

4. One "trick" I use is: heat the oil a little over the recommended cooking temp (say 30 degrees).Turn off the flame (no flame , no BOOM)...Lower the bird..SLOWLY, but just a small portion of it at a time (this is where the turbulance occurs)Let the oil settle down and repeat slowly until the bird is completely lowered....Re-light the burner and maintain the temperature....

5. Lots of great "injector" recipies and cooking tips out there on the net...

6. ENJOY

Are the pots stainless steel?  If they are aluminum, its garbage.  My brother-in-law has burned through 5 aluminum pots.  Take a few cans back to the store, get the deposit, and buy a stainless steel fryer.  You wont go wrong.  Love mine.

163819[/snapback]

Why do you say they're garbage? I realize that if you cook something acidic (like tomato sauce), you can damage it. But for oil? Curious to hear your take (as there appears to be a lot of conflicting info about this on the net)

CW