Workers in iPad factories forced to sign anti-suicide contracts

Fezmid

Well, if they don't like it, they should go find a different job.

Is this sarcasm? It is tough enough to find a job in America, let alone in China. Workers are exploited all over. You should fly to Saipan and tell those factory workers that they should get a new job

In addition to signing the pact, the company has also put up “anti-suicide nets” around the living facilities to help prevent employees from jumping off of the building to their death. These measures were implemented after last year’s plan of hiring monks to exorcise evil spirits had failed.

Must be Harvard MBAs.

In addition to signing the pact, the company has also put up “anti-suicide nets” around the living facilities to help prevent employees from jumping off of the building to their death.

Otherwise known as the "modified Cornell method."

Guest three3

Can't believe the monks failed

it's also shocking that our prayers are never answered..

In addition to signing the pact, the company has also put up “anti-suicide nets” around the living facilities to help prevent employees from jumping off of the building to their death. These measures were implemented after last year’s plan of hiring monks to exorcise evil spirits had failed.

Wow. They've tried just about everything. Except, y'know, treating people humanely.

Wow. They've tried just about everything. Except, y'know, treating people humanely.

17 suicides/5 years = 3.4 each year

3.4 suicides each year/1,000,000 people = 0.0000034% of the population killing themselves each year.

In 2006 in the US there were 33,300 suicides.

33,300/~300,000,000= 0.00011% of the population.

When youre dealing with 1million people, or millions of people, this stuff is going to happen.

Suicide nets are cheaper <_<

For US, me and you, not the company. Dont get it confused.

The reason they are worked so hard, and paid so little, and treated so poorly, is so AMERICAN CONSUMERS can get technology at "reasonable prices".

You want them to work less? Be treated better? Then you better be willing to pay double for everything.

Edited by DrDareustein

17 suicides/5 years = 3.4 each year

3.4 suicides each year/1,000,000 people = 0.0000034% of the population killing themselves each year.

In 2006 in the US there were 33,300 suicides.

33,300/~300,000,000= 0.00011% of the population.

When youre dealing with 1million people, or millions of people, this stuff is going to happen.

You're making the mistake of comparing every suicide in the US with just the suicides that occur at the plant over there. How many people kill themselves at work in the US? How many people kill themselves after working at the factory in China? I'm guessing the former is much lower and the latter is much higher.

For US, me and you, not the company. Dont get it confused.

The reason they are worked so hard, and paid so little, and treated so poorly, is so AMERICAN CONSUMERS can get technology at "reasonable prices".

You want them to work less? Be treated better? Then you better be willing to pay double for everything.

I don't buy it for a multitude of reasons but this one takes the cake

You're making the mistake of comparing every suicide in the US with just the suicides that occur at the plant over there. How many people kill themselves at work in the US? How many people kill themselves after working at the factory in China? I'm guessing the former is much lower and the latter is much higher.

Ill fully admit its not a perfect comparison. I was just illustrating the point that when you have that many people, things happen. I dont doubt that the working conditions played a part in their suicides. Simply making a point about the sheer numbers.

Also, these workers live full time at the factories. In dormitories on campuses. No one has indiciated that these suicides happened during shifts. Most likely it was in their little downtime, much like it happening at home.

I don't buy it for a multitude of reasons but this one takes the cake

I dont follow what this post means. Please clarify.

Edited by DrDareustein