Not a Jauron draft despite the DB's

I was as pessimistic as ever going into this draft, and while there is by no means any guarantee that we have improved, I felt pretty good about the selections. Here are some of my main points why I feel our FO actually did pretty well for once.

1) I believe we drafted the best player in the draft PERIOD in Dareus. This guy is big, powerful, can rush the passer and play the run. A lot of people liked VM, and while he may be good I personally think we needed to add more size and power...not a pure pass rusher. Thank you Denver and Carolina for making this happen....

2) Almost as important as that, maybe more so. We did NOT roll the dice on any of the ridiculously overrated QB's in this draft. Fitz may not be great, but he is better than any of them. I doubt any of those guys will end up being great starting QB's.

3) We didn't "reach" for anybody, or take any head scratchers. That seemed to be an annual thing until now (Troupe(reach), Maybin (there was WAY better talent available), Whitner (reach, ranked as bottom 1st rnd), McCargo (who?), Losman....

4) While I really would have liked Justin Houston in the 3rd, they took a highly rated run stuffing LB with size instead. A very logical pick, and shows a real desire to fix one of the Bills biggest problems.

5) Yes the Bills took 3 DB's, but each of them were great values and that was actually a position of great need even though it wasn't really talked about. Whitner gone, McGee can't stay healthy, Florence probably gone, McKelvin sucks. Williams was one of the highest rated corners in this draft, he is big and aggressive. Searcy is a big physical safety.

6) Addressed needs, and didn't take any flashy luxury picks. Even two offensive picks were needs (especially tackle), and both guys were rated highly at that point in the draft.

7) Used their last pick to roll the dice on a boom or bust guy. 400 lb NT. Even more important since they can't sign UDFA's.

Of course the Bill's will probably suck as always, but at least I can feel like we improved this time around.

I really like Von Miller but this team hasnt had a stud on the defensive line in way too long so Im more then pleased that Dareus was there at 3

the only problem I have with the draft is taking a DB in the second round. Williams may turn out to be a good player but I would have preferred taking one of hte available pass rushers at that point.

I dont have a problem with the other DB's selected

as I mentioned during the draft and got ripped for it, you can get quality DB's in rounds 4 and 5 that can step right in and contribute and I think the Bills got that in Searcy as they have in the past with McGee and Byrd

Edited by Max997

I really like Von Miller but this team hasnt had a stud on the defensive line in way too long so Im more then pleased that Dareus was there at 3

the only problem I have with the draft is taking a DB in the second round. Williams may turn out to be a good player but I would have preferred taking one of hte available pass rushers at that point.

I dont have a problem with the other DB's selected

as I mentioned during the draft and got ripped for it, you can get quality DB's in rounds 4 and 5 that can step right in and contribute and I think the Bills got that in Searcy as they have in the past with McGee and Byrd

I would normally agree with that, but this was a VERY weak draft for DB talent (yeah yeah, then why take 3, i know). There weren't considered to be any starting quality DB's after round 2. Williams might start, or play nickel on opening day. Searcy is probably a back up safety. I also wanted a pass rushing LB like Houston, but the fact that we have Merriman (maybe?), and that we took one of, if not THE, best run stuffing LB's in the draft satisfies me.

I just get the feeling from this draft that our defense improved at every level....Until they start playing and reality comes crashing back in....

at the time I wanted one of the available pass rushers or ILB's bc I didnt think they would be available in round 3 so I was pleased they were still able to get a quality ILB in round 3...i actually wanted Wilson but have no problem with Sheppard

obviously they couldnt fill every need but i would have preferred they solidified the front 7 before the secondary

Edited by Max997

Even if Von Miller had a jetback, he'd be ineffective without guys up front. Let's be clear about that. And before this weekend, we had mediocrity upfront

This Jasper fella dropped 73 pounds to show NFL scouts he was the real deal. Dude used to play at 448. Lord knows what he could be.

Dareus could anchor our line for a decade.

Point is, they got bigger where they needed to. A LOT bigger.

Drafting DB's is neither a luxury, nor a reach, IT'S A NECESSITY. More than 50 DB's have been drafted each of the last three years. Parsed evenly across the league, and that means each team is drafting multiple DB's EACH YEAR.

The fact that we drafted 7 defensive players and only 2 offensive players means that somewhere along the way, we actually drafted a low volume of DB's, per league average and typical pick distribution.

And just who among us is the scouting expert, well versed enough to be fussing over seventh round picks? For reals, people.

Even if Von Miller had a jetback, he'd be ineffective without guys up front. Let's be clear about that. And before this weekend, we had mediocrity upfront

This Jasper fella dropped 73 pounds to show NFL scouts he was the real deal. Dude used to play at 448. Lord knows what he could be.

Dareus could anchor our line for a decade.

Point is, they got bigger where they needed to. A LOT bigger.

Drafting DB's is neither a luxury, nor a reach, IT'S A NECESSITY. More than 50 DB's have been drafted each of the last three years. Parsed evenly across the league, and that means each team is drafting multiple DB's EACH YEAR.

The fact that we drafted 7 defensive players and only 2 offensive players means that somewhere along the way, we actually drafted a low volume of DB's, per league average and typical pick distribution.

And just who among us is the scouting expert, well versed enough to be fussing over seventh round picks? For reals, people.

I pretty much said the same things you did, who was fussing?

For ten years, the Bills have been giving defensive backs too high a priority at the expense of our lines and linebackers.All fans who have followed this team for that period know this. This draft sort of continued that. There was no reason to draft Aaron Williams when Ayers, Houston and for that matter Dalton were out there.

For ten years, the Bills have been giving defensive backs too high a priority at the expense of our lines and linebackers.All fans who have followed this team for that period know this. This draft sort of continued that. There was no reason to draft Aaron Williams when Ayers, Houston and for that matter Dalton were out there.

Actually, there were several reasons:

The seemingly inevitable departures of Florence and Whitner, and the colossal uncertainty that Youboty will ever get it straight. So, now that you've been caught up, do you care to rescind your comment?

All a matter of opinion, the Bills are likely losing their best DB talent this year, they need to fill the void. Personally Id prefer NOT to waste a pick on JP Losman 2... I liked Houston, and would have been happy with that pick also, but at least right now Merriman is the starter at that position. I really liked the Sheppard pick, a big run stuffing LB with coverage ability.

To say the team should never draft a CB again because they have in the past is a little ridiculous.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

The seemingly inevitable departures of Florence and Whitner, and the colossal uncertainty that Youboty will ever get it straight. So, now that you've been caught up, do you care to rescind your comment?

ok so the secondary could potentially have holes, what about LB's or the front seven in general? which is more important, the front 7 or secondary?

now we know who is playing in the secondary who is rushing the passer or playing ILB with Sheppard? Poz is a free agent and anything Merriman gives is a bonus bc they simply cant count on him being healthy. As much as I like Dareus he isnt a pure pass rusher so who is rushing the passer?

you build from the inside out but this team just doesnt get that

ok so the secondary could potentially have holes, what about LB's or the front seven in general? which is more important, the front 7 or secondary?

now we know who is playing in the secondary who is rushing the passer or playing ILB with Sheppard? Poz is a free agent and anything Merriman gives is a bonus bc they simply cant count on him being healthy. As much as I like Dareus he isnt a pure pass rusher so who is rushing the passer?

Poz will be back. He's joined on the inside by Anrda Davis.

We also still retain Ayodele, Coleman, Moats, Batten, Merriman, Maybin, and Kelsay. With the additions of Shephard and White, that gives us 11 bodies, when AT MOST four will take the field at any given time.

You've heard of four and five receiver sets, right? You do know that a lot of NFL teams run these formations now, right? And you have heard of a dime package, right? Now assume, for a second that Whitner, Florence and Youboty all hit the bricks (a very likely scenario). Add into that the high likelihood that McGee will spend time this season nursing an injury. That leaves us (pre-draft) with Corner, McKelvin, Scott, Wilson, Byrd and John !@#$ing Corto to man the backfield. That's two corners and four safeties, the inverse of the dime package, and absolutely NO DEPTH AT ANY POSITION.

Now tell me again that the Bills have bigger personnel needs than DB.

I don't get the disregarding of Dareus and Sheppard? They used 4 of their 9 picks on the front seven, including 2 of the first 3. How are they not trying to build the front 7 again? I understand the concern about Merriman, but like it our not he is the starter right now. They also have Moats as a pass rusher, and Kelsey looked pretty good in that role last year also. Don't forget about Batten who never played last year. You want them to use every single pick on the front seven, regardless of available talent? It just doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

And last year they used their 2nd round pick on their big (although not yet effective) NT, Troupe.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

It's still the same pattern the Bills have followed for years. Sure they need to draft more DBs because they keep letting the ones they draft go after their first contracts are up. Whether its because those players didn't live up to expectations (like Whitner) or because the Bills don't want to pay them what the open market does (Winfield, Clements) is irrelevant - it's a treadmill and one the Bills never seem to get off of.

The Bills CREATE the need by bad drafting and an inability to re-sign players when they actually perform. Personally, I'm tired of the RB and DB treadmill and wish they'd get off it so they can use the draft to fill in other areas instead of refilling the same ones time and time again.

Now, that being said I don't think this draft was a bad one - I like most of what they did and the Bills D should be better as a result. And this one year I'm going to give the Bills a pass because of the labor dispute prevented the Bills from filling these needs via FA and perhaps re-signing some of their own players which would have prevented them from using 4 more draft picks on DBs and RBs. It's tough to really look at this draft in terms of what holes the Bills ignored because FA hasn't occurred yet and we don't know their FA plans.

Their drafting pattern, however, still looks eerily similar to past years.

Merriman and Moats and Coleman and batten will disagree with you. Moats and Coleman were getting good edge pressure last season and if Merriman can return to even 75% of what he was, he will be more than serviceable.

Idk why everyone is knocking taking these DBs. I didn't predict it before the draft but seriously we play in the AFCE with pass happy New England. You want to be great? You have to be set up to beat the best.

Green Bay, Pats*, Saints, Colts none of those teams have a running attack to speak of last year yet all were super bowl contenders. We need a guy like Williams and Searcy, big DBs that can knock these guys around. With McGee's injury history and Florence possibly gone we needed to address this. We drafted Troup and Carrington last year, added Darieus and Sheppard to the front 7, and Brought in Dwan Edwards last year. id say weve done a good amount to address the front 7. You can't ignore the secondary

Different GM (having a GM at all actually), new coach...Much more sensible drafting (Spiller was questionable, but at least he was "rated" very highly). Personally I see much more common sense, and more picks that address team needs than in the past. You might be on your own with that opinion my friend.

It's still the same pattern the Bills have followed for years. Sure they need to draft more DBs because they keep letting the ones they draft go after their first contracts are up. Whether its because those players didn't live up to expectations (like Whitner) or because the Bills don't want to pay them what the open market does (Winfield, Clements) is irrelevant - it's a treadmill and one the Bills never seem to get off of.

The Bills CREATE the need by bad drafting and an inability to re-sign players when they actually perform. Personally, I'm tired of the RB and DB treadmill and wish they'd get off it so they can use the draft to fill in other areas instead of refilling the same ones time and time again.

Now, that being said I don't think this draft was a bad one - I like most of what they did and the Bills D should be better as a result. And this one year I'm going to give the Bills a pass because of the labor dispute prevented the Bills from filling these needs via FA and perhaps re-signing some of their own players which would have prevented them from using 4 more draft picks on DBs and RBs. It's tough to really look at this draft in terms of what holes the Bills ignored because FA hasn't occurred yet and we don't know their FA plans.

Whitner, Florence and Youboty were all brought in under a different regime. I'd argue it's more problematic that the Bills can't stick with a GM/HC for more than five years, but that has nothing to do (specifically) with DB's.

Poz will be back. He's joined on the inside by Anrda Davis.

We also still retain Ayodele, Coleman, Moats, Batten, Merriman, Maybin, and Kelsay. With the additions of Shephard and White, that gives us 11 bodies, when AT MOST four will take the field at any given time.

You've heard of four and five receiver sets, right? You do know that a lot of NFL teams run these formations now, right? And you have heard of a dime package, right? Now assume, for a second that Whitner, Florence and Youboty all hit the bricks (a very likely scenario). Add into that the high likelihood that McGee will spend time this season nursing an injury. That leaves us (pre-draft) with Corner, McKelvin, Scott, Wilson, Byrd and John !@#$ing Corto to man the backfield. That's two corners and four safeties, the inverse of the dime package, and absolutely NO DEPTH AT ANY POSITION.

Now tell me again that the Bills have bigger personnel needs than DB.

although i do agree or at least hope Poz will be back the only other player you mentioned worth anything is Moats who I like a lot

Ayodele, Coleman, Kelsay and Maybin, seriously? Batten was a question mark before getting hurt so who knows now

I'll tell you the Bills biggest need going into the draft was the defensive front 7 and for a team playing the 3-4 had very little talent and depth at LB and couldnt rush the passer at all

your thinking is no better then the Bills, you worry about covering receivers before stopping the run and rushing the passer

what has having a good secondary and being weak up front done for the Bills last few years?

Edited by Max997