Osama Apparently Dead

Some might have known almost immediately but the public announcement by Obama lessened the need for communication amongst the bad guys. Monitoring communication is one of the ways we nail them. Obama made the announcement for his own selfish reasons.

Ah, so it's the idea to stir up some chatter and then pick up on that chatter. Didn't think about it that way. I can't imagine there being too wide of a window for that, but who knows. I have no problem with the idea that the announcement was made for selfish reasons though, but at the same time, it was something the country really needed to hear.

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah, so it's the idea to stir up some chatter and then pick up on that chatter. Didn't think about it that way. I can't imagine there being too wide of a window for that, but who knows. I have no problem with the idea that the announcement was made for selfish reasons though, but at the same time, it was something the country really needed to hear.

I despise that politicians put their own selfish interests ahead of doing what was best for this country by keeping this quiet until we were able to analyze the copious amounts of the best Intel we ever have had on AQ and pursue leads while systematically crushing AQ and then going public. Bit its cool I'm used to Obama putting himself first afterall he knows what's best.... for reelection

Yes the country needed to hear it. But it could of waited, hell we've waited 10 years why not a couple of days or weeks more. The loss of the oppertunity to process all that intel was a HUGE mistake by that empty suit in the White House.

It was? Ten years later? I forgot all about OBL's death less than a week later.

Some might have known almost immediately but the public announcement by Obama lessened the need for communication amongst the bad guys. Monitoring communication is one of the ways we nail them. Obama made the announcement for his own selfish reasons.

Or made for more, as gomers hear the announcement and start calling in from all corners saying "Really? Is it true?"

Or neither...could be that as a matter of course that info wouldn't travel the normal operational communications channels, and be useless (communications doesn't always have to follow a command heirarchy, particularly with something like this. By way of analogy, most GIs didn't have to wait to hear through official channels to know that FDR died.)

Basically...we have no way of knowing what effect it had. Positive, negative, or neutral.

One good thing about the announcement happening so quickly is that there don't seem to be as many "the government secretly is holding Bin Laden at _____ which is why they claim to have buried him at sea" or "he's actually been dead for x years (3.5 perhaps?) and they've been sitting on the info" or "this proves he was actually working w/ the Zionists in an elaborate plot to keep the Arab down" theories getting floated as widely as I expect they would have had they said he died 1 month ago in a Navy Seal raid.

Not that that should trump military / strategic considerations, and don't know if the decision did trump them, overlook them, or consider them. But it appears to be one small benefit of the announcement happening as his body was being dumped.