Career Day - bring a kid to work day

Fezmid

One of my friends has a 14 year old daughter and in a couple of weeks her school is requiring all of the students to go to a professional job for a day and write about what the job is like. For some reason she decided she wanted to see my job (apparently it'll be just as boring as her parents' jobs, but since I'm not one of her parents, that makes mine cooler :lol: )

All she has to do is "shadow" me for the day, but I feel like I should try to show her more than boring meetings, ticket queues and the like... I'll show her a couple of our server rooms, but aside from that I have no ideas... Has anybody else ever done a career day like this? And if so, what did you show the kids?

For fun, it would be amazing if you could emulate the entire activity of Office Space and do about anything you can to match the movie...Her report on your job would be hilarious...

Red stapler you're obsessed with, TPS reports, a broken fax machine, The Bob's, etc

Here is my job:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pL9Og84A0Qo

And the big question... Am I on of the 4 guys you see standing on the controlling works (dam)? The answer is: NO! I actually do work! I was the guy locking those boats! ;):P But man, did I give those guys the business when I first saw this video! ;)

BTW... This was a "quiet" day... It was during the week and it looks to be late springish/summer, maybe early fall out (by the way the leaves looked)... One guy there has been retired for about a year going back to the mid-summer. Video had to be shot in 2009 or so?

Weekends are a total zoo in the summer with pleasure boats... Sometimes 40-50 or more lockages in a 24 hour period!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

For fun, it would be amazing if you could emulate the entire activity of Office Space and do about anything you can to match the movie...Her report on your job would be hilarious...

Red stapler you're obsessed with, TPS reports, a broken fax machine, The Bob's, etc

I do have a red stapler in my office....

I could go to one of my employees and do the , "Yeah.... I'm going to need you to work this weekend...." line. ;)

Here is my job:

youtube.com/watch?v=pL9Og84A0Qo

And the big question... Am I on of the 4 guys you see standing on the controlling works (dam)? The answer is: NO! I actually do work! I was the guy locking those boats! ;):P But man, did I give those guys the business when I first saw this video! ;)

BTW... This was a "quiet" day... It was during the week and it looks to be late springish/summer, maybe early fall out (by the way the leaves looked)... One guy there has been retired for about a year going back to the mid-summer. Video had to be shot in 2009 or so?

Weekends are a total zoo in the summer with pleasure boats... Sometimes 40-50 or more lockages in a 24 hour period!

That looks like a cool job

That looks like a cool job

It also gets boring too... Yet, there is never a dull moment on those hot summer days/nights when the bikinis are in force! Amazing what the young ladies will do... :devil: Even the old ones! :sick:

A few of the memorable ones:

Some years ago... A small Baja type vessel comes back from Lake Michigan in the early morning: Not one person was wearing a scratch of clothes... That is okay for the fine young ladies... But the dudes! I don't know what they heck they were on... But it most of been good!

One time... Also years ago, I was working day shift... Painting the handrails during the summer... During the middle of the week... We were also locking pleasure boats. Here I am, minding my own business doing the work... A bigger yacht comes in and settles down along the wall about 10 or so feet away from me. The boat had a bunch of "older persons" onboard... So I am painting... The rest of the people on board are facing away from me... Then I look up and this lady... Probably in her late 50's or so is looking right at me dropping her top and giggling/smiling! I mean WTF! Why not throw vinegar in my eyes! I just gave her one of these: :blink: Wow! Was I being sexually harrassed?... :lol: I could have got 45 days paid "traumatic leave!" I was young and didn't fully understand my collective bargaining rights!;)

Anyway... Not a bad job to take people to and give a tour or something... Yet, you probably wanna take the kidlets to work during tame hours not when:

-It is -20 degrees F and you are chipping ice all hours day and night.

-The muzzle flashes are going off in the woods across the river.

-Boaters who missed the lock are shooting Roman candles into a crowded lock of pleasure boats and barges.

-USCG is acertaining if they need to make a "cocaine bust" in your lunchroom.

-Older dudes in an expensive cigarette baot, drunk and "tagging" (spray painting) the lock wall with the name (Comfortably Numb) of the boat they are on.

-Some dude decides to take a drunken 0200 swim in the upper pool while waiting for the lock and a tow is coming... The party he is with panics and hits him with the boat's prop and finishes him off... Then the helos arrive w/divers to sweep the murky bottom all night to find him.

-Doing your early morning machine pit checks and finding a lady floating that was bound and gagged by her boyfriend that just got released from prison.

-Game wardons with big weapons are banging on the gate asking if there is any other access to the fields soas they can go flush out poachers... Afterall, it is Chicago city proper!

-Closing the river from the lock to two miles down so they can poison and kill every living thing in it... And after 30 species, 11,000 fish, and 100,000 pounds later... Ffinding not one Asian carp.

Yeah... It isn't a bad job! But Fez... It sure beats looking at servers... Even with the assumed "down time" that comes with the job. ;)

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Why don't they do this in the summer when the kids are out of school anyway?

What kid in his right mind would give up a day of his/her summer vacation to go with their parents to work. I know I wouldn't.

It also gets boring too... Yet, there is never a dull moment on those hot summer days/nights when the bikinis are in force! Amazing what the young ladies will do... :devil: Even the old ones! :sick:

A few of the memorable ones:

Some years ago... A small Baja type vessel comes back from Lake Michigan in the early morning: Not one person was wearing a scratch of clothes... That is okay for the fine young ladies... But the dudes! I don't know what they heck they were on... But it most of been good!

One time... Also years ago, I was working day shift... Painting the handrails during the summer... During the middle of the week... We were also locking pleasure boats. Here I am, minding my own business doing the work... A bigger yacht comes in and settles down along the wall about 10 or so feet away from me. The boat had a bunch of "older persons" onboard... So I am painting... The rest of the people on board are facing away from me... Then I look up and this lady... Probably in her late 50's or so is looking right at me dropping her top and giggling/smiling! I mean WTF! Why not throw vinegar in my eyes! I just gave her one of these: :blink: Wow! Was I being sexually harrassed?... :lol: I could have got 45 days paid "traumatic leave!" I was young and didn't fully understand my collective bargaining rights!;)

Anyway... Not a bad job to take people to and give a tour or something... Yet, you probably wanna take the kidlets to work during tame hours not when:

-It is -20 degrees F and you are chipping ice all hours day and night.

-The muzzle flashes are going off in the woods across the river.

-Boaters who missed the lock are shooting Roman candles into a crowded lock of pleasure boats and barges.

-USCG is acertaining if they need to make a "cocaine bust" in your lunchroom.

-Older dudes in an expensive cigarette baot, drunk and "tagging" (spray painting) the lock wall with the name (Comfortably Numb) of the boat they are on.

-Some dude decides to take a drunken 0200 swim in the upper pool while waiting for the lock and a tow is coming... The party he is with panics and hits him with the boat's prop and finishes him off... Then the helos arrive w/divers to sweep the murky bottom all night to find him.

-Doing your early morning machine pit checks and finding a lady floating that was bound and gagged by her boyfriend that just got released from prison.

-Game wardons with big weapons are banging on the gate asking if there is any other access to the fields soas they can go flush out poachers... Afterall, it is Chicago city proper!

-Closing the river from the lock to two miles down so they can poison and kill every living thing in it... And after 30 species, 11,000 fish, and 100,000 pounds later... Ffinding not one Asian carp.

Yeah... It isn't a bad job! But Fez... It sure beats looking at servers... Even with the assumed "down time" that comes with the job. ;)

That does sound like a cool job. I do not know about staying out there in the wintertime freezing my a** off but in the summertime you must have a ball out there.

One of my friends has a 14 year old daughter and in a couple of weeks her school is requiring all of the students to go to a professional job for a day and write about what the job is like. For some reason she decided she wanted to see my job (apparently it'll be just as boring as her parents' jobs, but since I'm not one of her parents, that makes mine cooler :lol: )

All she has to do is "shadow" me for the day, but I feel like I should try to show her more than boring meetings, ticket queues and the like... I'll show her a couple of our server rooms, but aside from that I have no ideas... Has anybody else ever done a career day like this? And if so, what did you show the kids?

Take a vacation day, so you have the freedom to roam around the office and do whatever you want.

Take a 2 hour lunch.

Bother other people.

You know, completely mislead her into thinking work is fun.

Take a vacation day, so you have the freedom to roam around the office and do whatever you want.

Take a 2 hour lunch.

Bother other people.

You know, completely mislead her into thinking work is fun.

I already do all of those things.... :D

Why don't they do this in the summer when the kids are out of school anyway?

WHAT!! And not allow the teachers an extra day off?!? Oh the agony!!! <Don't get me started on this. My school district levy passed yesterday - jacked my taxes up an additional $600 per year. System pays 100% of medical plus pays for state tax on this bennie.>