[ot] the greatest christmas gift you have received

millbank

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A baby wrapped in swaddling clothes and lying in a manger.

As far as pictures of Jesus looking like white anglo-saxon protestants, yeah, I'd like to see him depicted more as a middle easterner, as long as he didn't look like Yassir Arafat.

I think the greatest gift we've given our kids is to begin Christmas Day with the reading of the Christmas story from the gospel of Luke.

The best guess I've seen for the timing of Jesus' actual birth is early September. The explanation is quite detailed, but if anyone is curious just PM me and I'll do what I can to explain it.

Then why the hell did they need an Inn?

So he could say, "I'm not the Savior, but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn."

Best gift I got when I was 6 was a stack of about 10 GI Joe uniforms for the original 12" figures (before they became the whimpy adventure heroes) and a GI Joe Rat Patrol Jeep w/.50 caliber machine gun. I still have them.

Official Red Ryder carbine action two-hundred shot range model air rifle with a compass in the stock and this thing that tells time.

:rolleyes:

About eight years ago my wife and I were celebrating our first Christmas together, and it was the first time I took the time to get a tree. I never bothered prior to that because being single I was always going to someone else's house. But it was our first tree, and I was pretty damn proud.

Except about a week later, the tree was dead. I'm not sure how to explain it, but I was devastated. Maybe I watched "A Charlie Brown Christmas" too many times, but I just remember watching the needles falling off and thinking to myself; "I killed it. Why does everything I touch turn bad?"

I came home from work a few days later, and as I walked along the path to the condo I was renting, I saw a bunch of needles on the ground, and followed them up to my door. When I got in, my wife had just finished putting the last of the decorations on a new tree. She saw how upset I was and spent the day getting a new tree, taking all the decorations off the old one, dragging the dead tree down three flights to the dumpster, putting up the new one and decorating it before I got home.

Best gift ever. Not the tree. The thought.

(Note to self: always close the heater vent directly above your Christmas tree.)

162757[/snapback]

So you killed two trees that year. God that makes me cry.

greatest gift i've ever received, i'd have to say was a nintendo. i wanted one so bad that christmas, but my dad was firmly opposed to the idea. i'd keep asking, and he'd keeping saying no. then on christmas day, i remember how happy i was and how happy my mom looked. and the "oh no you didn't" look my dad gave my mom. priceless ;)

greatest gift i've ever given was just being home for my first christmas. my birthday is the 21st and i got to go home on christmas eve. every year i hear the little baby /dev/null on christmas story :rolleyes:

I remember as a kid when I got the first Nintendo system, I was so excited that I knocked over the Christmas tree from jumping around and yelling. I didn't do anything that whole day besides play Mario Bros.

The best I've ever given was a Dan Marino rookie card to my fish fan brother. I found an old pack of cards, from the local card shop for $5.00, and I bought a pack for the heck of it and it had the Marino rookie card.

So go plant one, ya bunny hugger.  Welcome to renewable resources.

162970[/snapback]

Birds probably nested in the branches of those trees. Where do you expect them to go?

BTW--I hate bunnies. Love trees, hate bunnies.

He's hooked, he's hooked, his brain is cooked.

163108[/snapback]

Yep. that was me. ;)

Now that I think about it, that was probably the worst gift I ever got.

I wasted more time playing those games. :rolleyes:

I will not give my kids one.

Thanks I needed to remember this especially now.

I've been so bad I'm feeling guilty.

Many years ago Larry asked me to go to a jewelry store with his best friend. Jim was going to ask his woman to be is second bride after being a widower for 8 years. While looking in the display case I saw this ring and mentioned it to Jim. I know this isn't what we are looking for but isn't that heart shaped red ruby that has a setting like a flower pretty. That was in June and that Christmas the last box I opened was a pair of slippers with a ring box in the toe of the right slipper. I wondered why he wanted me to try them on. There was the ring and it was sized to fit. I have worn it everyday since his death 5 years ago Dec 10th.