[ot] the greatest christmas gift you have received

millbank

just wondered in this time of giving and receiving what is the greatest or most important chrstmas gift given to you and what was the greatest or most important gift you have gven to someone else.

- i remember my very first new bauer hockey skates had never been skating, five years old in boston bruins uniform feeling so proud just llike a real hockey player. In the fall had painted picture of Don Simmons the Bruin goalie as what I wanted to be one day. Gettng down to the pond and all the boys thinking I was funny as anthing being a fan of such a bad team..... that very first time on the ice just a beamy memory ... years later Bobby Orr came and for awhile they were not so funny. :)

remember my parents watching and looking so warm and for me the gift was in fhe blessing of being loved......

- somehow i hope i do this with my friends and family

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never really gotten any great gifts, but last year my fiance got her engagement ring that she wanted...hopefully nothing has topped that for her

162741[/snapback]

yeah, I can't seem to remember anything that just knocked my socks off either. But, I really enjoyed giving my mother her "RIT Mom" sweater my first year of college. She went there and was happy I went there too. She wore it every weekend for years.....

About eight years ago my wife and I were celebrating our first Christmas together, and it was the first time I took the time to get a tree. I never bothered prior to that because being single I was always going to someone else's house. But it was our first tree, and I was pretty damn proud.

Except about a week later, the tree was dead. I'm not sure how to explain it, but I was devastated. Maybe I watched "A Charlie Brown Christmas" too many times, but I just remember watching the needles falling off and thinking to myself; "I killed it. Why does everything I touch turn bad?"

I came home from work a few days later, and as I walked along the path to the condo I was renting, I saw a bunch of needles on the ground, and followed them up to my door. When I got in, my wife had just finished putting the last of the decorations on a new tree. She saw how upset I was and spent the day getting a new tree, taking all the decorations off the old one, dragging the dead tree down three flights to the dumpster, putting up the new one and decorating it before I got home.

Best gift ever. Not the tree. The thought.

(Note to self: always close the heater vent directly above your Christmas tree.)

the original Castle Grayskull that had a microphone that made your voice sound like Skeletor.

162772[/snapback]

Did you watch the cartoons? I was a big GI Joe fan and found two box sets of their cartoons. Digitally Remastered and all that jazz. Nice stuff and my son likes to watch them, too!

This sorta applies.

Back in 1980, I asked my Mother for "something homemade" for Christmas. So, she made a collage with images symbolic of things I liked to do then or things that happened to me ("a late bus", since I had problems catching the school bus on time). I have had the collage ever since. About a year ago, I decided to get the collage framed. I had this done before she came over to visit. So, I showed her the framed collage that she had given me nearly 25 years ago. When she saw it, she started to cry. She couldn't believe I still had it! I'll neve get rid of it.

Yeah, I remember that line from the song "Oh little town of Sydney".  :rolleyes:

162838[/snapback]

but to get serious for one second....

Since Jesus was born in the middle East area of the world, why do American's still buy into the picture of him as a tall, skinny, brown haired white dude?

but to get serious for one second....

Since Jesus was born in the middle East area of the world, why do American's still buy into the picture of him as a tall, skinny, brown haired white dude?

162847[/snapback]

People want to believe Jesus was just like them, no matter what common sense may dictate. Well, except Madonna.

Of course, Jesus was a Jew.

A marriage proposal - sitting on a Sydney (Aust) beach after midnight. Christmas is summer over there.

162827[/snapback]

If I would've known I could've killed two birds with one (diamond) stone, I would've proposed for Xmas instead of the middle of summer! :rolleyes:

Interesting topic. I'll have to give this one some thought...

For birthday gifts, my wife bought me a green laser pointer (similar to http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/lights/5a47/). The cool thing was that I had only mentioned that I thought they looked cool 3 or 4 times over the past year or two, but that I could never justify spending $100 on it. She remembered that and surprised me with it for my Bday. It was cool because she listened to what I wanted during the year, not the normal, "Make a list of what you want."

As for favorite gift given, I think it would have to be an opal and diamond ring that I bought my wife (although we were just dating at the time). For a good month or two, I kept saying, "I didn't get you much. You're probably going to hate it. I only bought you one thing, and it's tiny. I should probably return it and get something that you'd like better," etc. So she was kinda sad that I didn't get her anything "nice." When she opened up the package and saw the ring, she was very excited and loved it. She was also (and still is) very embarassed at how she felt before that Xmas. It was a cool moment (doesn't sound quite as cool in text, but oh well).

Can't think of an awesome Xmas gift yet...

CW