Why Peterson is a waste of a pick

Patrick Peterson is a shutdown cornerback with amazing return skills. He can lock down the side of a field and take a receiver out of the game. He can break a huge return and change the complexion of a game. He's still a horrible pick for the Bills. We play in the AFC East. Look at what the Pats did last year. The Jets re-sign lockdown corner Darelle Revis and the Patriots jettisoned their vertical passing game for an offense that favors slot receivers, slant routes, and a timing approach. Brandon Marshall is a non-factor with no quarterback and Santonio Holmes is too busy puffin' on the Chron and can be handled with scheme.

As far as returners go, why do we need another one? We have Spiller and McKelvin. Plus, with the change in kickoffs this year, we are going to see more touchbacks than weve seen in years. As far as Im concerned his kickoff return ability is a non-factor.

We don't need a lockdown corner or a kick returner. Can we please be AHEAD of the curve this year? Please.

Edited by Thisistheyear

Patrick Peterson is a shutdown cornerback with amazing return skills. He can lock down the side of a field and take a receiver out of the game. He can break a huge return and change the complexion of a game. He's still a horrible pick for the Bills. We play in the AFC East. Look at what the Pats did last year. The Jets re-sign lockdown corner Darelle Revis and the Patriots jettisoned their vertical passing game for an offense that favors slot receivers, slant routes, and a timing approach. Brandon Marshall is a non-factor with no quarterback and Santonio Holmes is too busy puffin' on the Chron and can be handled with scheme.

As far as returners go, why do we need another one? We have Spiller and McKelvin. Plus, with the change in kickoffs this year, we are going to see more touchbacks than we’ve seen in years. As far as I’m concerned his kickoff return ability is a non-factor.

We don't need a lockdown corner or a kick returner. Can we please be AHEAD of the curve this year? Please.

Although you make some valid points, and I believe in Building both the defense and offense from the ball out, the draft is not free agency. You aren't bidding on players that have a body of work at the NFL level. If you aren't sold on a front 7 guy or a QB @3, then why not get Peterson if you believe him to be a shut down corner. Let's rewind to Nate Clements' contract year before we let him walk. We lost 9 games that year by a very close margin. The Colts game as an example. We had zero offense that year. However, on defense we kept it very close in no small thanks to using Clements almost exclusively in man coverage on our opponents top receiver. Harrison was silent in that game and the Colts squeaked one out. If a big body is not there, I would love to get a player that we could assign to the other team's top receiver and take him out of the game. If you were to give it some thought, you would realize that he would free up the safety on his side of the field and allow you, if nec. to double cover 2 other receivers and still send a blitzer. It really would allow for more coverage and blitzing options. If you watched the Jets Pats game, Revis manned quite often while the rest of the secondary played zone and typically rushed no more than 4. Brady had all day, yet no one to throw to. That's because his vaunted TEs each had a safety over the top and another defender underneath. All I can say is if Darius is off the board, don't underestimate the impact a true shutdown corner will have if you believe that Peterson is such.

You might want to rephrase. That doesn't make any sense

All the words seem to be in the correct order. Can we use a lockdown corner? Sure. Do we need one? No. Do I believe that drafting a corner at 3 is a big mistake? Yup. Peterson would be the only pick to aggravate me because we don't NEED him.