This might be a matter of semantics

Adam

There never seems to be a shortage of opinions here, so here goes.

Can a person suffering from dementia be guilty of murder. I don't mean the lame, old excuse of insanity, either.

Absolutely. Just because they don't rmember it doesn't mean they didn't have intent when they committed the act.

Can a person suffering from dementia be guilty of murder. I don't mean the lame, old excuse of insanity, either.

I have as much or more respect for old people than anyone and I don't think they are capable of murder. It is not because of their dementia mostly, it is because they are weak and slow. Who are they going to kill that won't kill them first? I am sure there is some "old on old" crime out there but it is mostly denture theft and bingo fraud.

I have as much or more respect for old people than anyone and I don't think they are capable of murder. It is not because of their dementia mostly, it is because they are weak and slow. Who are they going to kill that won't kill them first? I am sure there is some "old on old" crime out there but it is mostly denture theft and bingo fraud.

Tell that to this 98 year old man. (if you could)

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35850008/ns/world_news-asia-pacific/

Edited by 3rdnlng

It depends. Basically, if such a person is able to comprehend that their actions would result in death, they are guilty of some crime (homocide, murder, manslaughter). If such a person is able to formulate intent, they are definitely guilty of homocide or murder (depending on the jurisdiction).

But if they're not able to understand their actions or formulate intent, criminal guilt usually does not apply. For example: Alzheimer's patient stabs her husband because she doesn't recognize him and thinks he's an intruder in their home - which is not too far off an actual situation I personally know of. Generally, though, such a situation would lead to a civil commitment, since someone that far gone usually needs inpatient care anyway.

Absolutely. Just because they don't rmember it doesn't mean they didn't have intent when they committed the act.

So are you saying that they should be charged and punished, like anyone else, or that a murder charge is a viable option?

So are you saying that they should be charged and punished, like anyone else, or that a murder charge is a viable option?

They should be charged and during the trial it should be establised whether or not they were cognizant of their actions/intent.

They should be charged and during the trial it should be establised whether or not they were cognizant of their actions/intent.

I expect to see a lot of this discussion, in the near future. The explosion of Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy from the long neglect of concussions makes it inevitable.

I expect to see a lot of this discussion, in the near future. The explosion of Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy from the long neglect of concussions makes it inevitable.

I just got a concussion trying to pronounce that. Well I did have two beers at lunch.