I love Dareus as a player, I really do...but...

I just can't get myself excited about the idea of taking a 5-technique 3-4 DE with the 3rd overall pick in the draft.

If we ran a 4 man front, and he was going to play the old Pat Williams role as the nose, I would be all for it. But a 3-4 DE to me isnt an impact position.

I just can't get myself excited about the idea of taking a 5-technique 3-4 DE with the 3rd overall pick in the draft.

If we ran a 4 man front, and he was going to play the old Pat Williams role as the nose, I would be all for it. But a 3-4 DE to me isnt an impact position.

You might have too. If the rumor is true Carolina drafts Newton, and Denver is drafting Miller, this will more than likely be our guy.

The Bills are still built to play 4-3. They could go back to that if they believe Dareus would be more effective...

heres my problem with ANY DL...unless you have the right players around them...they are not going to be game changers...atleast not right away...As good as SUH was and as great as he might be... he didnt even help the Lions run defense...they gave up just as many TD's...just as many yards per-game...and the aver carry per-yeard was 4.7...

Suh is maybe the most dominate DT we've seen in 10 years...but people want us to draft Dareus, thinking he's gonna stop the run? NO! ... the OLB position is where Impact is made... because the OLB always have the advantage...based on the scheme...

and if are running the 3-4...its goes CB,LB, and then DL

Edited by EldaBillsFan

for me, the dareus pick would be all about versatility. this is, by all acounts, a guy who could play any position on a 34 front and either tackle in a 43. this is a big guy that moves extremely well for his size and plays with power and leverage. to be able to get a guy this big and skilled to move all over multiple formations...i'd sign up for that. and furthermore, if we get this beast at #3, then bring on the best lb on the board @34 and our defense just got a huge infusion of hope/hype.

If we ran a 4 man front? Dude, did you watch the games last year? We used a 4 man front most of the time last year, and will continue to use multiple fronts.

heres my problem with ANY DL...unless you have the right players around them...they are not going to be game changers...atleast not right away...As good as SUH was and as great as he might be... he didnt even help the Lions run defense...they gave up just as many TD's...just as many yards per-game...and the aver carry per-yeard was 4.7...

Suh is maybe the most dominate DT we've seen in 10 years...but people want us to draft Dareus, thinking he's gonna stop the run? NO! ... the OLB position is where Impact is made... because the OLB always have the advantage...based on the scheme...

Outstanding points. If Dareus is off the board however, many will complain that we don't want to stop the run if we pick Green or Peterson.

Go Read what they said about Gerald McCoy last year and then read about that they say about Dareus this year...

All i want is an Impact player...not a project... I really like Cam but i dont want a project...i want to watch who ever on the field making plays... Aj Green,lee evans, and Steve Johnson ...along with Spiller and fred Jackson...puts pressure on a defense...and in return put pressure on the opposing offense.... im not say we take Green over Miller but over Dareus YES....in the 2nd rd u can grab the big tackle paea

Go Read what they said about Gerald McCoy last year and then read about that they say about Dareus this year...

All i want is an Impact player...not a project... I really like Cam but i dont want a project...i want to watch who ever on the field making plays... Aj Green,lee evans, and Steve Johnson ...along with Spiller and fred Jackson...puts pressure on a defense...and in return put pressure on the opposing offense.... im not say we take Green over Miller but over Dareus YES....in the 2nd rd u can grab the big tackle paea

McCoy isn't the same type of player Dareus is. Two totally different types of players. Dareus plays real low whereas McCoy plays more upright. Dareus is 6'3" and weighs 319, McCoy is 6'4" and weighs only 295. Dareus will be a better player than McCoy, IMO. He will be better against the run because he is heavier and shorter than McCoy, plus he has that lightning quick take-off at the snap, ala Kyle Williams, that will give O-lineman fits.

I can only imagine what it would be like to see Kyle lined-up next to Marcell. Our LBers will be free to roam, as well, as a result of the play of those two up-front.

But a 3-4 DE to me isnt an impact position.

What do you call Bruce Smith?

Or Seymour or Ngata for that matter. Every player on the DL has a huge impact on every game, win or lose, regardless of statistical output.

Aj Green,lee evans, and Steve Johnson ...along with Spiller and fred Jackson...puts pressure on a defense...and in return put pressure on the opposing offense.... im not say we take Green over Miller but over Dareus YES....in the 2nd rd u can grab the big tackle paea

Our O would still struggle because we continue to neglect the OL. The OL is more important to winning than all those jersey sellers you listed.

Or Seymour or Ngata for that matter. Every player on the DL has a huge impact on every game, win or lose, regardless of statistical output.

You got that right, Marcell's stats wont be dazzling, but he will have a huge impact on the overall play of the defense.

Our O would still struggle because we continue to neglect the OL. The OL is more important to winning than all those jersey sellers you listed.

So that means we should not draft an elite WO because of our o-line? So does that include not getting QBs, TEs, or RBs until the o-line is better?

You got that right, Marcell's stats wont be dazzling, but he will have a huge impact on the overall play of the defense.

Marcell would be a huge addition to this team.

Agreed 100% It's comical to take a 3-4 DE that high; those guys just eat up space typically (rare exception is Bruce Smith obviously).

That said, I just want the Bills to take the lowest risk player. They can't afford not to get a starter out of the first three rounds this year.

Our front 7 needs help more than our DBs do. We have more talent at CB than DL. I would like to get Miller but if he is gone then Dareus is a nice option.

Impact players are impact players, no matter the position.

There was this 3-4 DE named Bruce Smith that made a pretty good impact, more so than any LB or CB on our roster.

Edited by Bob in STL

COMPLETELY DISAGREE. If you want to make changes/improvements to your team, the first and best place to start is upgrading along the lines. They are the first point of attack, and everyone behind them directly benefits from their play. Whether they are collapsing the pocket, stuffing a run, or simply tying up blockers, adding talent UP FRONT helps EVERYONE.

The only thing you need to surround them with are other quality Line players, and with Williams there and Troup/Carrington developing, NOW is the time to shore up that squad.

Putting out a front line of Williams-Troup-Dareus automatically makes life for our LBs easier. Conversely, putting out a "shutdown corner" doesnt do anything to help the Defense as a unit, it only takes away one WR.

Agreed 100% It's comical to take a 3-4 DE that high; those guys just eat up space typically (rare exception is Bruce Smith obviously).

That said, I just want the Bills to take the lowest risk player. They can't afford not to get a starter out of the first three rounds this year.

The lowest risk player in the entire draft is Dareus, IMO. Miller hasn't proven he can keep his playing weight at 250lbs, Newton has many red flags, Patrick Peterson might have to be moved to safety, and Gabbert is nothing more than a Trent Edwards.

I call Bruce Smith a once in a generation player who doesnt come along very often, and yes, if you could get Bruce Smith you take him. But last I checked, Dareus isnt drawing comparisons to Bruce Smith.

Seymour went at the back of the First round, so did Ty Warren, and Ngata went mid-first round. Not 3rd overall.

If we ran a 4 man front? Dude, did you watch the games last year? We used a 4 man front most of the time last year, and will continue to use multiple fronts.

I did watch the games dude, and I know we ran a 4-man front, but to that end, if we do go to a 4-man front, that puts Williams and Dareus at DT and then we wasted a pick on Troup? And who are your 4-3 DE's in that scenario? Chris Kelsay and Dwan Edwards and Alex Carrington? Not exactly striking fear in opposing DEs.

I call Bruce Smith a once in a generation player who doesnt come along very often, and yes, if you could get Bruce Smith you take him. But last I checked, Dareus isnt drawing comparisons to Bruce Smith.

Seymour went at the back of the First round, so did Ty Warren, and Ngata went mid-first round. Not 3rd overall.

I did watch the games dude, and I know we ran a 4-man front, but to that end, if we do go to a 4-man front, that puts Williams and Dareus at DT and then we wasted a pick on Troup? And who are your 4-3 DE's in that scenario? Chris Kelsay and Dwan Edwards and Alex Carrington? Not exactly striking fear in opposing DEs.

Where they went in the draft has no bearing on their true value. If you can do those drafts all over again do you think those guys will last that long?

To take it even further, Tom Brady was drafted in the 6th round, do you suggest we should never draft a QB until the 6th round because of that?

Where they went in the draft has no bearing on their true value. If you can do those drafts all over again do you think those guys will last that long?

To take it even further, Tom Brady was drafted in the 6th round, do you suggest we should never draft a QB until the 6th round because of that?

Ah yes, no draft conversation would be complete without the mention of tom brady being a 6th rounder.

Dick? Is that you?

Sorry brother, I just don't follow the logic behind your reasoning at all. I don't understand the idea that Troup is a wasted pick in this scenario nor do I understand how your legitimate concern about our 4-3 DEs relates to Darius performance as a DT in a 4 man front. I also don't see how opposing DEs would be afraid of our DEs either. Troup will be rotated in no matter what fronts we use and will come in handy in case of injuries which WILL happen, although I get how it's popular on this board to not have any talent in your second stringers because of our other NEEDS. God forbid we have good backups.