Hey Nix: We have the WORST run defense in the league

First of all, thanks NeverGiveUp for your post. You make this board even cooler than it already is by throwing us the 'real' torpedo of truth once in awhile.

I'm starting to become afraid that Carolina isn't going to take Cam Newton. If they take Dareus or Von Miller then Denver is likely to take whoever is left. That means we will have Cam and AJ Green as next in line on the board based on NGU's post. Cam wont even start, and AJ Green is at a position that we are deep at already. Then we will sit and watch the next 32 players (majority of them defense) go elsewhere. WE HAVE TO HAVE AN IMPACT FRONT SEVEN DEFENDER STARTING ON DAY ONE OR WE WILL GET SLAUGHTERED THIS YEAR. Not another Troupe or Carrington, we need a true first round stud.

Our QB is good, and still gaining experience as is our O line. Our receivers are solid. We don't even have room for Easley and he might be the best one on the team in two years. Our defense was so bad last year that teams looked like they weren't even game planning for us near the end.

I don't know more about football than Buddy Nix, but I know what I can stomach, and having a weak defense in the AFC east is the kiss of death.

Carolina needs to take Cam.......

Edited by Webster Guy

I would have a major problem with the Bills selecting AJ Green. I think a receiver this high is a luxury pick. That receiver better make it to the Hall of Fame. I would rather they selected Fairly; however, if they feel Cam Newton is someone they can coach, it would be all right. I would rather they select Cam Newton then trading back into the first round to select Ponder or one of the also rans. Too many memories of J.P. Losman.

If they really wanted to fix their run defense, they would trade down to get more picks. All of the run stuffers are mid to late first round draft picks, and the Bills do not need another Donte Whitner like pick, i.e. good player but selected to high in the draft.

Nix has the right philosophy. If we're in the position to draft a true FRANCHISE QB (of which most of us will agree that Fitz, as good as we think he is, is not), then we have to take him over everything else. However, if there is no true Franchise QB available where we're sitting, then yes, we fortify the run with a stud linebacker / defensive playmaker.

i'll say this until next season....Our defense sucked for a number of reasons...1) injuries.... 2) trying to force players to learn new position... 3) No set defensive scheme 4) lack of Trust and confidence...

1.Cant control injuries

2.This year, everyone should have made the adjustments

3.we'll have set scheme

4.Confidence and Trust will come when the first 3 things fall in line

I would have a major problem with the Bills selecting AJ Green. I think a receiver this high is a luxury pick. That receiver better make it to the Hall of Fame. I would rather they selected Fairly; however, if they feel Cam Newton is someone they can coach, it would be all right. I would rather they select Cam Newton then trading back into the first round to select Ponder or one of the also rans. Too many memories of J.P. Losman.

If they really wanted to fix their run defense, they would trade down to get more picks. All of the run stuffers are mid to late first round draft picks, and the Bills do not need another Donte Whitner like pick, i.e. good player but selected to high in the draft.

if we had NO QB or if we didnt have a guy who projected could throw for 3,600 yards and 27-28 Td's

Then i'd be all over Cam.... but imo.... it has to be Miller...

BUT! our offensive is only one Dymanic player(AJ GREEN) away from being a real force in the league....

Another way to stop the run, put up points and make a team put the ball in the air more... then players like moat, anmaybe a healthy merriman have their impact

Hey Nix- we have the worst run defense in the league,

Hey Nix we don't have a pass rush,

Hey Nix we have the worst tight ends in the league,

Hey Nix we need a tackle,

Hey Nix we don't have a play making linebacker,

Hey Nix we don't have a quarterback of the future,

Hey Nix our kickers are getting old,

Hey Nix we're gonna need another corner,

Hey Nix we gotta replace Donte,

Hey Nix Freddie is 31

Hey Nix .....

just wanted to get word to him before Thursday

if we had NO QB or if we didnt have a guy who projected could throw for 3,600 yards and 27-28 Td's

Then i'd be all over Cam.... but imo.... it has to be Miller...

BUT! our offensive is only one Dymanic player(AJ GREEN) away from being a real force in the league....

Another way to stop the run, put up points and make a team put the ball in the air more... then players like moat, anmaybe a healthy merriman have their impact

This has been how the Colts have played for Mannings time there put up points make other guy stop ya. I am not saying select WR but if that who they feel is best guy to help the team than I am ok with it. Personally I would love to have people that can stop the run but this league is also a passing league and we need folks who can pressure the passer as well.

If Dareus and Miller are gone, then I would have no problem taking AJ Green. It would be a mistake to pass up an elite talent for a 2nd tier defensive lineman.

I agree with this. Our receivers improved this year, but since I watch other NFL teams play I am aware that they are not great. Lee Evans is on cruise control unless it's a fly route, Roscoe is too small to survive a full season without some kind of injury, and Easley up to this point is still a huge question mark. AJ Green would be the best receiver out of a group that the fans think is "good enough" right now. I am still hopeful of course that we take Dareus. I just don't like any other d-lineman at #3 vs. getting a Green or Peterson. If we trade down we eliminate our chances of getting this type of elite talent.

This has been how the Colts have played for Mannings time there put up points make other guy stop ya. I am not saying select WR but if that who they feel is best guy to help the team than I am ok with it. Personally I would love to have people that can stop the run but this league is also a passing league and we need folks who can pressure the passer as well.

The Colts have had success by drafting the BPA by and large. They do not draft for need.

First of all, thanks NeverGiveUp for your post. You make this board even cooler than it already is by throwing us the 'real' torpedo of truth once in awhile.

I'm starting to become afraid that Carolina isn't going to take Cam Newton. If they take Dareus or Von Miller then Denver is likely to take whoever is left. That means we will have Cam and AJ Green as next in line on the board based on NGU's post. Cam wont even start, and AJ Green is at a position that we are deep at already. Then we will sit and watch the next 32 players (majority of them defense) go elsewhere. WE HAVE TO HAVE AN IMPACT FRONT SEVEN DEFENDER STARTING ON DAY ONE OR WE WILL GET SLAUGHTERED THIS YEAR. Not another Troupe or Carrington, we need a true first round stud.

Our QB is good, and still gaining experience as is our O line. Our receivers are solid. We don't even have room for Easley and he might be the best one on the team in two years. Our defense was so bad last year that teams looked like they weren't even game planning for us near the end.

I don't know more about football than Buddy Nix, but I know what I can stomach, and having a weak defense in the AFC east is the kiss of death.

Carolina needs to take Cam.......

Prepare for the Doomsday Scenario. Remove any objects that could be thrown at the TV. Stock up on Jack Daniels. This is how it will likely go:

#1 Dareus

#2 Von Miller

#3 Blaine Gabbert (Trent Edwards 2.0)

This league is a rushing league and always has been! That being said teams are throwing MUCH more often now because defenses are better at stopping the run and offenses are better at exploiting coverage. Unfortunately our defense is an anachronism in that people can run all over us to the tune of 8 200+ yard rushing games and 32nd rank in the league.

This has been how the Colts have played for Mannings time there put up points make other guy stop ya.

For this plan to work you need an elite hall of fame QB and some offensive balls. Keep in mind that the Colts didn't win a superbowl until their defense played lights out.

Edited by PDaDdy

The Colts have had success by drafting the BPA by and large. They do not draft for need.

The Colts have success because they have Peyton Manning. When you have a franchise QB - one of the all time greats - your teams tends to be successful. Successful teams have the luxury of being able to not draft for need because they're retooling, not rebuilding.

The only such luxury the Bills have is that they have so many holes just about all of the top players fill a need.

And no, I'm not saying that you draft a guy way too high simply because he's a need. I'm saying that you don't draft guys because they're the BPA when they project to a position that you're already solid at when there are a dozen other holes on your team.

"i'll say this until next season....Our defense sucked for a number of reasons...1) injuries.... 2) trying to force players to learn new position... 3) No set defensive scheme 4) lack of Trust and confidence...

1.Cant control injuries

3.we'll have set scheme

4.Confidence and Trust will come when the first 3 things fall in line"

Elda, this sounds like a reprise of every excuse the Bills have trotted out for the past ten years! I'm tired of it already....

If Dareus and Miller are gone, then I would have no problem taking AJ Green. It would be a mistake to pass up an elite talent for a 2nd tier defensive lineman.

I agree either AJ Green or Peterson

I look at AJ Green and think if Fitz cant take a nobody from the bench and get him 1000 yards and ten TD's, just think what he could do with younger version of Randy Moss, holy cow....

To the other posters who think that Green would be a luxery pick, Buffalo WR corps currently stinks as they have one good WR in Stevie Johnson. Lee Evans has a tough time breaking away from defenders and just doesn't catch enough balls like the premier WR should.

Even if they keep Johnson-Evans-Parish and Easly has a breakout year, thats only 4 WRs...whats happens when they want to run a 5 WR set? I know that there are guys I've never heard a thing about on the current depth chart-- David Nelson-Donald Jones-Naaman Roosevelt-Paul Hubbard

i'll say this until next season....Our defense sucked for a number of reasons...1) injuries.... 2) trying to force players to learn new position... 3) No set defensive scheme 4) lack of Trust and confidence...

1.Cant control injuries

3.we'll have set scheme

4.Confidence and Trust will come when the first 3 things fall in line

Dont forget the additions of Merriman, Troup, Moats, Carrington, etc to the starting rotation this year.