Update

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks as always NGU....

I'm not as locked in as NGU, not even close, but I did have a conversation yesterday with a guy who works with the Chargers who was there when Nix was there, and when I asked him about Nix he laughed and said "That guy loves his offensive skill position players."

Just 2 guys having a conversation, obviously, but if the drafts falls 1) Newton 2) Dareus.....based on what NGU said, I wouldn't be surprised if they lean toward Green.

I can't make sense of picking AJ Green @ 3.

The logic would be that he is the best player on their board, they have a high grade on him, and some scouts think he is the most complete WR to come out since Calvin.

I would imagine drafting Green would be bad news for Roscoe. Roscoe was productive last year when healthy, but he has a pretty heavy contract for a guy that would now be our 4th WR.

I agree with your take, Gordio. :) Newton was not the only reason but his rare physical attributes helped significantly.

The Auburn defense was extremely well prepared and coached for the BCS Title game. (Fairley came out of that game being discussed as a possible #1 overall pick, if anyone cares to remember.) Newton in no way carried Auburn in that game. IMO.

Newton did not have a great NC game no doubt but keep in mind he did play injured & both offenses looked rusty from the long layoff. The 2nd half of the Alabama game was the game that convinced me this guy has a real shot to be a superstar at the next level. Guy was pretty much flawless in one of the more hostile environments any team had to face all year. I would not be disappointed if Newton is available at #3. If the Bills do not want to take him there, he is the one player they could probably hold an auction & pick up an extra 2nd round pick this year & possibly another 1st round pick next year. I could see Washington offering something like that.

Newton must having something special if Buddy is ready to risk his short GM career on drafting the guy. Buddy obviously has weighed everything out and sees more upside in drafting him than letting him get away.

Right now its on Carolina. If it's true Denver takes Miller. The Bills most likely will get Dareus if the rumor is true Carolina takes Newton.

I agree with your take, Gordio. :) Newton was not the only reason but his rare physical attributes helped significantly.

The Auburn defense was extremely well prepared and coached for the BCS Title game. (Fairley came out of that game being discussed as a possible #1 overall pick, if anyone cares to remember.) Newton in no way carried Auburn in that game. IMO.

I watched the championship game last night. It was on ESPN U and Fairly had a great game because he wasnt blocked...ever. It seems they just didnt account for his speed and tried to just go around him the whole game

Newton did not have a great NC game no doubt but keep in mind he did play injured & both offenses looked rusty from the long layoff. The 2nd half of the Alabama game was the game that convinced me this guy has a real shot to be a superstar at the next level. Guy was pretty much flawless in one of the more hostile environments any team had to face all year. I would not be disappointed if Newton is available at #3. If the Bills do not want to take him there, he is the one player they could probably hold an auction & pick up an extra 2nd round pick this year & possibly another 1st round pick next year. I could see Washington offering something like that.

The new GM in Carolina and John Elway in Denver, who are also rumored to be high on Newton, must be as dumb as Nix then?

Im not looking for a choir boy, i want a winner. IF they choose him its because he's a winner AND he has the other tools they are looking for.

I would tend to agree to NGU assertion that their board looks like Newton Dareus then the field with miller and green in there. Im not terribly impressed with Miller but Green is a stud.

The WR position is full but isnt stacked with talent. Evans looks less like a #1 every year.

So if he goes top 3 in the draft, by definition that teams board isn't credible because it doesn't agree with the kipers of the world? Also, maybin is an awful comparable. Just awful.

You didn't post a link.... figures. You don't really look at mock drafts do you. Most of the draft experts like Kiper that have Newton graded as a mid first round pick also have him being drafted #1 overall by Carolina because they are desperate!

if he goes in the top 3 its because the team that drafts him that high either has bad talent evaluators-HC-GM, they are outright desperate for a QB, they want to sell tickets or all three.

How exactly is Maybin an awful comparison, he was a one year wonder at Penn St just like Newton was at Auburn. Maybin had only one great ability and that was his burst off the line and running the arc, the kid has speed which you can't teach and he put on 20 lbs of muscle from the end of the season to the combine. Everything he did up to the draft was all the right moves, saying the right things and talking the talk. I'd say Maybin is a perfect example of a team reaching for a project because of his great physical ability. Maybin needed to learn more then his one move in pass rushing, he needed to learn cover skills to play OLB. He was drafted because he was thought to be a great pass rusher, so far after 2 years he has zero sacks.

Maybin was actually a much better prospect because he had a much cleaner background, he doesn't have any character issues like Newton has. Some GM's have openly stated they don't even have Newton on their draft board because of his character issues.

Edited by Harvey lives

1 half of 1 game for a 1 year player, Gordio? Sorry, the "Timmy Smith had a great Super Bowl" argument isn't totally convincing.

He obviously is not the only reason but I will tell you this, noway Auburn wins a NC last year if Newton is not their QB.

Mike Mayock graded Newtons performance for the NC game and gave him a "C", some bad reads and throws, but everyone seems to have forgotten that the coaches called a play at the end of that game and Newton changed the play, almost fumbled the ball away....he could have lost that game for them.

Auburn coaches were very upset at Newton after that play.

Wow. You know everyone values NGU's opinion when his thread has close to 10,000 views in less than 24 hours

We don't know who he or his source is. But one thing we know for sure is that he (through his source) has been right.

I am not questioning NGU at all, but can someone give a rundown of the other scoops that have been provided?

broke chan gailey as the coach choice hours before an announcement of any sort. chan was so far out of left field as we know.

I am not questioning NGU at all, but can someone give a rundown of the other scoops that have been provided?

From when I first saw him he broke the Chan hiring, and the Spiller draft...

I need help folks, my brain just turned to mush. There were other things that NGU broke before media outlets did. I just can't remember right now.

from the start i said AJ GREEN OR MILLER....both are more of a sure thing than Dareus or Cam...Both are Right Now impact players...and Both are game changers... AJ Green is faster and more explosive than what combines revealed...watch the tapes...as he destroyed zones and man-to-man and still got his numbers double covered and miss 4 games.... the kid is the 2nd coming of Randy moss minus the drama...

and Miller is a gem

I need help folks, my brain just turned to mush. There were other things that NGU broke before media outlets did. I just can't remember right now.

he has also stated that not only is he not Jim Kelly, but we fans think Jimbo has way more insight into the inner workings of Nix and Co. than he really does.

Pretty sure he also broke the Nix promotion as well but I might be confusing that with Chan.