My last-ditch plea for the Bills to select Nick Fairley

Not to derail the discussion, but tell me where any of that differs from Trent Edwards. Not saying they'll have similar careers, but IMO big-time production at a major program makes a player a "safe bet," not intelligence and enthusiasm.

I gotta tell you...I'm ignoring any reference to Trent Edwards, JP Losman, or Rob Johnson on this Board...I'm doing my own part to pull Bills Fans out of the black hole that is these constant comparisons to our failed QB's...It's a never-ending cycle of futility...

If you can't understand why a Team would be interested in Gabbert based on what I wrote, and you have to compare him to a broken down Trent Edwards, then there is really nothing to discuss here... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

Can anyone that has seen Fairley play DE direct me to some video of him playing the position? People make it sound like it's no big deal for an interior Dlman to simply slide outside to DE. It's a completely different ballgame when asked to play in space out on the edges. At a minimum, it takes time for a guy to develop his technique to play a new position. Anyway, if someone can refer to some video of him playing DE, I'd like to take a look. Thanks.

GO BILLS!!!

Bradford and Suh were "safe" picks. Gabbert is nothing of the kind. There's tons of stuff online about his not handling either real or perceived defensive pressure well and his propensity of throwing dinky little checkdown passes his whole career. Basically he's Trent Edwards 2.0 with a giant media hype machine up his butt.

The only top 5 truly "safe" picks in this draft are Peterson or Green. I know that you don't want to hear that, but it's the truth.

You are, sadly, 100% correct. With that said, I'd take A.J Green, try to trade back into the first round and grab a D lineman and take Ponder or Dalton in the Second. Then go D from there on out.

Edited by RyanC883

I gotta tell you...I'm ignoring any reference to Trent Edwards, JP Losman, or Rob Johnson on this Board...I'm doing my own part to pull Bills Fans out of the black hole that is these constant comparisons to our failed QB's...It's a never-ending cycle of futility...

If you can't understand why a Team would be interested in Gabbert based on what I wrote, and you have to compare him to a broken down Trent Edwards, then there is really nothing to discuss here... B-)

I CAN understand why a team would be "interested" in Gabbert. I CANNOT understand why he's considered a top-five, "safe bet."

I see todd marinovich when I look at blaine gabbert. Someone who has trained his entire life to be a qb in the nfl, however, someone I don't think will hold up under pressure as evidenced by his poor completion % when being blitzed. Just my opinion but he scares the heck out of me.

Fairley reminds me a lot of sapp and it is suprising to see him low on him. The thing I worry about with him is whether or not he is a chemical creation. The dramatic increase in production and lack of self control (ie numerous personal fouls) on the field scare me. I would love a big nasty however am concerned about his ability to do so with the drug testing policy.

Why? Did he have bloodshot eyes and the munchies?

Can anyone that has seen Fairley play DE direct me to some video of him playing the position? People make it sound like it's no big deal for an interior Dlman to simply slide outside to DE. It's a completely different ballgame when asked to play in space out on the edges. At a minimum, it takes time for a guy to develop his technique to play a new position. Anyway, if someone can refer to some video of him playing DE, I'd like to take a look. Thanks.

GO BILLS!!!

The best I can tell you is that I've seen plenty of video of him chasing down running backs sideline to sideline. I agree it's not an "easy" transition but for a big man he moves himself all around the field on a consistent basis.

I think the point most people are making is that while Gabbert is a good QB, he is not worth a #3 pick, particularly given that other great QB's like Ponder and Dalton are most likely going to be available in the 2nd. You have to go with either a D-lineman or OLB (need) or best player available (A.J. Green). While we need a QB, the difference, if any, between Gabbert and Ponder/Dalton isn't great enough to justify taking Gabbert at #3.

Edited by RyanC883

If we were sitting at 15 and Fairley was there I would take him. But after watching him on Gruden's ESPN special, the guy is just clueless. He may be a great DL but I sure wouldn't want him as a teammate. It was like Gruden was talking to a 2nd grader. I know his position doesn't call for the most cerebral guy, but you have to draw the line somewhere. He'll go to the Titans on Thursday.

What Scouts see in Gabbert is actually pretty simple...They see a Kid that is a SUPER smart, athletic QB with a great arm...He's a Project for certain, but he starts off with an incredible amount on his side...There are HOF QB's with FAR worse College Stats than Gabbert...But he's not a sure thing by any means...He is crystal clean off the field, he's a good leader, and he LOVES Football...The Kid is driven to be the best...He has the right attitude...Scouts believe there is no such thing as a College QB who is ready for the NFL regardless...Some are more ready than others, but none come out 100% prepared...So it's going to take Coaching an patience regardless...Keeping that in mind Gabbert is about as safe a bet as you're going to get...The Kid is going to bust his tail, he's got a ton of natural athletic ability, and he certainly seems smart enough to grasp an entire NFL Playbook...

That's what Scouts see in Blaine Gabbert... B-)

You expect your post to compete with..."Gabbert SUCKS"!

Nice write up! :thumbsup:

GO BILLS!!!

People constantly say this about Kyle Williams(moving to a 3-4 DE) and I wonder the same thing. :doh:

I'd be happy if we can fix the Defense this year, we need more beef up front we got rid of Stroud and we didnt re-sign McCargo, so we are down 2 DT , so we need to find some beef somewhere.

DT would seem to be something we need to take since we now have just Kyle,Troupe and Spencer Johnson. I keep coming back to Jared Powe from old miss in like the 3rd round is a possibility if we don't get Fairley or Dareus.

We also need to find a RT who can play and be effective, probably in the 2nd round.

Von Miller-Round 1

OT- Round 2

DT- Round 3

You expect your post to compete with..."Gabbert SUCKS"!

Nice write up! :thumbsup:

People constantly say this about Kyle Williams(moving to a 3-4 DE) and I wonder the same thing. :doh:

I know what you mean about people wanting KW to move to DE. It's maddening because the reasoning is usually "but KW isn't the prototypical 34 NT so we should move him to DE." My thought is, yeah, it makes a lot of sense to move a guy to a position he's even LESS of a prototypical fit to play.

GO BILLS!!!