Make sure you fill out your organ donor card

Just Jack

Your heart could save a rapist

An Auburn man who is serving an 18-to-40-year state prison sentence for raping and sodomizing a 13-year-old female relative in 1996 is being evaluated for a possible heart transplant. Mercy Flight flew Kenneth Pike, 55, from Coxsackie Correctional Facility to Strong Memorial Hospital in Rochester last week, where 49 patients are awaiting heart transplants. If doctors approve the procedure for Pike, he would be the first inmate in New York State to receive a heart transplant. It would cost taxpayers around $800,000, according to a report by the ABC television station in Rochester.

wow. As a transplant recipient, I am shocked, stunned and disgusted that he's even being considered.

Back when I got my transplant (1995), if you had even the slightest thing wrong with you (other than your organ failing that is) you would be disqualified. Things like lupus, cancer, mental illness, etc. The rational was that they wanted to give the transplants to those who could possibly keep them the longest and had the best overall prognosis. This has radiacally changed over the years, mainly, because there is such a short supply of organs, that the docs want to use every one, so the restrictions are limited. This MAY (I have not researched this) also have resulted in a lower transplant organ's life as well. I know people who's elderly famialy members with ever medical problem in the book have had kidney transplants these days...

I wouldn't really care, given that I'd already be dead.

You are the one who said you can't know what is impossible to know so imagine if there is life after death. There you are, up in heaven shooting the **** with St Peter. You get a text from some convicted child rapist saying "hey dude, thx 4 the lvr"

Edited by Chef Jim

Could you imagine if your donated organ went to keep a piece of **** like this alive?

Maybe it would be the exact reverse of that old horror story where a someone is possessed because their transplant came from a killer. This time the scumbag becomes a decent person... only to be murdered in jail.

You are the one who said you can't know what is impossible to know so imagine if there is life after death. There you are, up in heaven shooting the **** with St Peter. You get a text from some convicted child rapist saying "hey dude, thx 4 the lvr"

Good point. I better start drinking heavily.

Could you imagine if your donated organ went to keep a piece of **** like this alive?

This is one of the reasons you are NOT permitted to know who the organ is donated to. That and they want to eliminate the possiblity of the "you owe me" situation.

It is possible to find out if the recipient requests that they want to meet the donor's family, but the family can decline. This was what happened to me, BTW...

• 2 weeks later...