I just love the tolerance and open mindedness of some people

People like you just don't want to think about religion. You have no conviction toward your lack of belief. That's fine - I really don't care. Just don't blame me for not being like you.

But it's ok for you to blame other people for not being like you. Ok, got it.

I would never make a joke about the Holocaust because there is evidence that that really happened.

Really? Not even "What's the difference between a pizza and a Jew?"

Dude, I'm !@#$ing with you. 12 years of Catholic schooling here.

I never know, you libs are so retarded, it's hard to know when you're only joking about being stupid. :nana:

My understanding is that the Rapture isn't actually in the Bible. Maybe you can point to some obscure verse, but I would think such an event would hold a place of prominence in the Good Book along with Christmas and Easter.

It wouldn't, because it's Revelation, not in any of the Gospel. Still...I think it is in Revelation somewhere. Don't care enough to look, though - Hal Lindsey wrote a book about it, that's enough to convince me it's fiction.

For a self-proclaimed agnostic, you get pretty bent when I start bagging on religion.

I'm an empirical agnostic - I believe I can't empirically know. You're an athiestic theorist - you believe you know without any objective evidence either way. It's not religion I'm defending, it's empiricism. Your belief is just as much a priori irrationalism as any religious person's.

But it's ok for you to blame other people for not being like you. Ok, got it.

My objective, as I've stated several times, is to push the idea that it's acceptable to lack belief. I try to challenge people to challenge their belief systems. I often do this through ridicule. I often have fun doing so. Sometimes I cross the line, which admittedly probably isn't very effective. Oh, well, nobody's perfect.

I'm an empirical agnostic - I believe I can't empirically know. You're an athiestic theorist - you believe you know without any objective evidence either way. It's not religion I'm defending, it's empiricism. Your belief is just as much a priori irrationalism as any religious person's.

Why put yourself in a box like that? I was actually responding to Chef with that last bit.

People like you just don't want to think about religion. You have no conviction toward your lack of belief.

That's why it's called AGNOSTICISM, !@#$wit. :wallbash:

Why put yourself in a box like that?

Put myself in a box? By admitting that I don't know what I can't know? Want to rethink that one?

I was actually responding to Chef with that last bit.

I discovered after I posted. I decided my reply was still relevant and informative, so left it.

My objective, as I've stated several times, is to push the idea that it's acceptable to lack belief. I try to challenge people to challenge their belief systems. I often do this through ridicule. I often have fun doing so. Sometimes I cross the line, which admittedly probably isn't very effective. Oh, well, nobody's perfect.

So you push people that is acceptable to lack belief by ridiculing them for believing and you say it's probably not VERY effective? I'm here to tell you it's not effective at all. Who cares if someone believes in God when you don't. You don't know for sure, neither do I and there's a part of me that hopes I'm wrong. I think the reason for your feelings on this topic goes much deeper than you're willing to admit.

Edited by Chef Jim

So you push people that is acceptable to lack belief by ridiculing them for believing and you say it's probably not VERY effective? I'm here to tell you it's not effective at all. Who cares if someone believes in God when you don't. You don't know for sure, neither do I and there's a part of me that hopes I'm wrong. I think the reason for your feelings on this topic goes much deeper than you're willing to admit.

I think it's not very effective when I cross that "line". We all have issues, don't we...

I think it's not very effective when I cross that "line". We all have issues, don't we...

Though "Zombie Jesus Day" was somewhat amusing; I wished my brother a "Happy Zombie Jesus Day" yesterday, he's just enough of a rationalist to laugh.

But I dare you to go into a Mosque on whatever day the ascension of Mohammed is celebrated this year, and say "Happy Zombie Mohammed Day!"

Though "Zombie Jesus Day" was somewhat amusing; I wished my brother a "Happy Zombie Jesus Day" yesterday, he's just enough of a rationalist to laugh.

But I dare you to go into a Mosque on whatever day the ascension of Mohammed is celebrated this year, and say "Happy Zombie Mohammed Day!"

Blah..blah...blah....blah.....blah.....

His head WILL be rolling down a flight of stairs.

It's not like it was the first time "Zombie Jesus" was brought up on this board. I wouldn't run into a Christian church on Easter Sunday and shout "Happy Zombie Jesus Day". Live and learn I guess...

As far as the Mosque thing goes, I'm not suicidal. :D

I know he ascended into heaven or wherever, but did Mohammed ever rise from the dead?

It's not like it was the first time "Zombie Jesus" was brought up on this board. I wouldn't run into a Christian church on Easter Sunday and shout "Happy Zombie Jesus Day". Live and learn I guess...

As far as the Mosque thing goes, I'm not suicidal. :D

I know he ascended into heaven or wherever, but did Mohammed ever rise from the dead?

I was always under the impression that he died first...but now that you mention it, I'm not sure. He may have ascended instead of dying.

Hell, even the Islamic scholars can't agree on how, or even if, it happened (the Orthodox Muslims believe he ascended bodily. The Rationalists believe it was a spiritual ascension, metaphorically written as a physical ascension. The Orthodoxy calls the Rationalists heathen !@#$s, the Rationalists look down on the Orthodoxy as backwards Zoroastrians. And the both agree that the one modern (*^*&%^$^#who believe that television proves the mystical nature of the Ascension, be it spiritual or physical, is, in fact, a dipshit. So it goes.) So why the !@#$ should I know?

I was always under the impression that he died first...but now that you mention it, I'm not sure. He may have ascended instead of dying.

Hell, even the Islamic scholars can't agree on how, or even if, it happened (the Orthodox Muslims believe he ascended bodily. The Rationalists believe it was a spiritual ascension, metaphorically written as a physical ascension. The Orthodoxy calls the Rationalists heathen !@#$s, the Rationalists look down on the Orthodoxy as backwards Zoroastrians. And the both agree that the one modern (*^*&%^$^#who believe that television proves the mystical nature of the Ascension, be it spiritual or physical, is, in fact, a dipshit. So it goes.) So why the !@#$ should I know?

Hmmm...interesting. I would go ahead and follow the progression to its seeming natural conclusion and say that they're all batshit crazy for believing any of that mythological hocus pocus bull ****, but I only bag on Christianity. :rolleyes:

Every religion is crazy except for the one you believe in.

That's true. Also, having grown up Catholic, I know a lot more about Christianity and Catholicism and its particular brand of craziness. In addition, most religious people I know and come into contact with everyday are members of some brand of that Christianity, so it's just more relevant to me in general. Make no mistake, I am equally as skeptical and condescending toward just about any non-evidence-based belief system I can think of. It's probably safe to say that the more influence any such a system has on the lives and actions of people I know and care about, the more I pay attention to it.

Why don't you bag on Australian politicians? Why do you seem to only aim your criticisms at liberal American politicians?

You grow up Catholic and dont know that Eater is the most Holy day for one?

Interesting........

You grow up Catholic and dont know that Eater is the most Holy day for one?

Interesting........

A bit of sarcasm meant to emphasize the commercialization of Christmas. It's sometimes difficult to impart tone on the internet.

I grew up reading the Lord of the Rings several times and know a lot about that too. Far more interesting IMO.