NFLDraftcountdown.com 3 round mock...

Could totally live with this......

Von Miller - pass rush, playmaker, Maylock thinks he is "special", considered to be the best 3-4 linebacker in the draft

Dalton - The best description I have heard of him is a "Fitzpatrick with accuracy".....do you guys realize that is the only thing keeping Fitz from being a pro bowler?

RT is a huge need

Dalton pick sucks something fierce. I don't know why people like this kid so much. And Ijalana most likely won't make it out of the 2nd round (would be sweet if he did and we picked him though).

Edited by Bangarang

According to NFLdraftcountdown.com our first 3 picks:

Round1: Vonn Miller

Round2: Andy Dalton

Round3: Ben Ijalana

Discuss amongst yourselves.

OT is as big of a need or bigger than DL. With Miller pencilled in at #3, Nix can take his favorite among OT, DL, and QB at #34. That draft makes sense. Would be surprised if Dalton is there at #34 and Ijalana in the 3rd round.

For all of the "Dalton sux" crowd......could you please give me one reason for this analysis?

Because he has Red hair?

He played in a gimmick offense with an abundance of screen passes and dump offs (great way to increase your completion %). He had the #1 defense in the country for 3 straight years backing him up so it's not like TCU had to beat teams through Dalton. TCU's defense only gave up 11 points per game.

Then you have Dalton's arm strength, or lack there of. He doesn't have great velocity on his passes nor does he have a good deep ball.

Bottom line, he's a smart kid who had a great college career. However, he lacks ideal size and arm strength and ran a very gimmicky offense at TCU. Is he a guy that can come in and start for an NFL team that is desperate for a QB? Probably, but I certainly question whether he would be successful at it. Would he be a better NFL QB than Fitz? No. I think Dalton's potential pretty much maxes out at Fitz's level. He's a guy that would be a really good backup but an average starter in the NFL imo.

He played in a gimmick offense with an abundance of screen passes and dump offs (great way to increase your completion %). He had the #1 defense in the country for 3 straight years backing him up so it's not like TCU had to beat teams through Dalton. TCU's defense only gave up 11 points per game.

Then you have Dalton's arm strength, or lack there of. He doesn't have great velocity on his passes nor does he have a good deep ball.

Bottom line, he's a smart kid who had a great college career. However, he lacks ideal size and arm strength and ran a very gimmicky offense at TCU. Is he a guy that can come in and start for an NFL team that is desperate for a QB? Probably, but I certainly question whether he would be successful at it. Would he be a better NFL QB than Fitz? No. I think Dalton's potential pretty much maxes out at Fitz's level. He's a guy that would be a really good backup but an average starter in the NFL imo.

- We are not a team "desparate" for a QB....we do in fact have a starter this year

- There are SEVERAL QBs coming out of college that ran "gimick" offenses to include the top 2 everyone is crying for (or hoping like hell we stay away from depending on who you talk to)

- This thing about his arm strength......a guy does not have to have a cannon if he is ACCURATE.....which Dalton is

- A winner, accurate, mobile, and a leader on the field

- I will say it again....if Fitz was an accurate QB nobody would be talking about replacing him......as you say....Dalton is "Fitz with accuracy" its not that hard to put the pieces together

And....he might be there at our 2nd pick....allowing us to get a playmaking defensive player

Regarding Dalton, I remember a quote from Nix a few weeks back explaining what all the Chargers liked about Phil Rivers when they indirectly drafted him back in 2004: highly productive, smart, leader, appeared in numerous Bowl games and came up big in all of those games. The Chargers were willing to overlook Rivers' questionable mechanics and less-than-elite arm strength because of the other traits he did possess. I wonder if Nix has a similar view of Dalton.

Buffalo scouts said today Dalton reminds them of Ryan Fitzpatrick.

To me, that says they wont draft him. Wouldnt you want a QB who was better than Fitzpatrick? If you're going to draft a future Ryan Fitzpatrick, you might as well stick with the current one.

Depends on what they meant by the comparison. Did they mean that he has many of the same traits (intelligence, ability to get of the ball quickly, etc) but could be a better version of the real Fitz (more accurate, etc.)? Or, do they believe that his upside is to be like Fitz? If it is the latter, then I agree with your sentiments.

- We are not a team "desparate" for a QB....we do in fact have a starter this year

- There are SEVERAL QBs coming out of college that ran "gimick" offenses to include the top 2 everyone is crying for (or hoping like hell we stay away from depending on who you talk to)

- This thing about his arm strength......a guy does not have to have a cannon if he is ACCURATE.....which Dalton is

- A winner, accurate, mobile, and a leader on the field

- I will say it again....if Fitz was an accurate QB nobody would be talking about replacing him......as you say....Dalton is "Fitz with accuracy" its not that hard to put the pieces together

And....he might be there at our 2nd pick....allowing us to get a playmaking defensive player

-When did I say we were desperate for a QB?

-So because several QBs coming out of college run a gimmick offense, it doesn't mean that I can't hold it against Dalton? Especially when he's being talked about being taken at 34th overall. The fact that he ran a gimmick offense isn't his only flaw. It's just added to the rest of his flaws.

-Again, you're ignoring the offense that he ran and are just going by his stats. You can't say he's accurate and ignore the kinds of passes he was making at TCU. I never said he needed to have a cannon either. I said he throws a poor deep ball and lacks velocity on his throws. You don't think either of those things pose to be a problem in the NFL?

-You put any 2nd tier QB on that TCU team with the defense he had and there's a pretty good chance that QB would be a winner too. What's your point? There are several guys who win at the college level and go on to have crap NFL careers.

-I've never said Dalton is Fitz with accuracy, but okay. Dalton isn't much better than Fitz if at all imo. Dalton won't be running a gimmick offense making half field reads and dumping the ball off frequently in the NFL. Why would you draft a QB who more than likely won't be any better then the one you currently have starting for you?

Edited by Bangarang

NFLdraftcountdown is a pretty interesting site. This guy seems to know his stuff more than the rest when grading players. He had us taking Von Miller before everyone else had him in their top ten.

It's the only site I go to around combine and draft day.