Buddy live online at noon (PFT)

but is it possible that

A) the Bills really do believe in Fitz

B) they feel they need a solid #2 QB and one to groom over time for #1, which they can get at #34 pick?

if this was tru, they can take their pick at an early-impact D player w/ #3 pick

Even if the Bills believe in Fitz, if they have a franchise grade on Gabbert or Newton (and if either are available at 3) they will take him. Fitz has one year left on his deal and is not a young buck. As we all know, finding a franchise QB is not only the most important position to fill in the NFL, it's also the most difficult to find. Having 2 on your roster is never a bad thing when one has a deal about to expire.

If their goal is just to find a "solid" QB because Fitz is the man, then you do that in Free Agency. If they don't think there are any Franchise QBs in this draft (which is very possible) then taking a "solid" rookie QB at 34 (or even in round 3) is a waste of a pick when this team has so many holes to fill.

While I agree in large part, you must leave room for the notion that perhaps.....perhaps......their franchise QB could be had in round 2.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.......and when slotted properly could be a beautiful thing.

QBs are the most scouted, the most sought after position in the NFL. I find it very hard to believe the Bills would have a franchise grade on a QB, they wouldn't be the only team. Thus, there's no way one would slide to 34.

Now, that does NOT preclude the possibility that teams have a QB graded wrong and there IS a franchise QB who slides out of the first round (or the first several like Brady) since this is not an exact science. I just find it silly to think any GM or Coach would bank of 31 other teams "missing" a grade on a diamond in the rough.

Like I said, IF the Bills think there is a Franchise QB in this draft, he will be the pick at 3. I do not want the Bills to take a QB past 3 (even if they trade BACK into the first round -- ESPECIALLY if they trade back into the first round OR trade DOWN) and frankly don't think they will. Of course, this front office has a less than stellar track record so that doesn't mean they won't. (That part is totally an opinion).

Even if the Bills believe in Fitz, if they have a franchise grade on Gabbert or Newton (and if either are available at 3) they will take him. Fitz has one year left on his deal and is not a young buck. As we all know, finding a franchise QB is not only the most important position to fill in the NFL, it's also the most difficult to find. Having 2 on your roster is never a bad thing when one has a deal about to expire.

If their goal is just to find a "solid" QB because Fitz is the man, then you do that in Free Agency. If they don't think there are any Franchise QBs in this draft (which is very possible) then taking a "solid" rookie QB at 34 (or even in round 3) is a waste of a pick when this team has so many holes to fill.

QBs are the most scouted, the most sought after position in the NFL. I find it very hard to believe the Bills would have a franchise grade on a QB, they wouldn't be the only team. Thus, there's no way one would slide to 34.

Now, that does NOT preclude the possibility that teams have a QB graded wrong and there IS a franchise QB who slides out of the first round (or the first several like Brady) since this is not an exact science. I just find it silly to think any GM or Coach would bank of 31 other teams "missing" a grade on a diamond in the rough.

Like I said, IF the Bills think there is a Franchise QB in this draft, he will be the pick at 3. I do not want the Bills to take a QB past 3 (even if they trade BACK into the first round -- ESPECIALLY if they trade back into the first round OR trade DOWN) and frankly don't think they will. Of course, this front office has a less than stellar track record so that doesn't mean they won't. (That part is totally an opinion).

Kinda makes you wonder where they have all these QBs slotted and what exactly the gap is between them. Do THEY think Newton is head and shoulders above Ponder? Is Gabbert that much better than Mallet or any of the other prospects slated to go in the first couple of rounds?

Their pick at 3 (assuming we stay put) will tell the story. Anything leading up is speculation.

Nah. I'm not saying I have some insight into Buddy's thinking, but it was his FO who picked Brees in the early second round. Plus, I think Nix is fairly practical and simplistic (in a good way) when it comes to drafting. And honestly, as far as the 1st round pick is concerned, I think Nix is almost ALWAYS going to take the best player available. And at this point, that will likely be Miller or Dareus, not Gabbert, not AJ Green and not Patrick Peterson. I think he is a Dalton, Kapernick guy, who probably doesn't see a huge amount of differential in skill sets between Gabbert and those other two QBs.

I'm not saying Nix is easy to read, but he isn't Bill Belichick either.

I don't totally disagree. But keep in mind that his FO also drafted Manning & traded him for Rivers when they had Brees on the roster, and Buddy compared that situation to our current situation. My best guess is that Newton is tops on his board, and Miller is #2. If the Panthers pass on Newton, we grab him, then go D in round 2. If (as expected) the Panthers take Newton, we grab a Miller, draft Von Miller, then go for a QB at #34. I'm guessing either Dalton or Colin K. For some reason, I don't think the Bills are high on Dalton. Maybe just because I like him, and my QB judgment is horrible (my moronic pro-Clausen posts last year are proof of that).

I'm guessing that Miller is above Dareus on their board, although I doubt it'll come into play, since Denver probably takes Dareus no matter what. I feel like Miller exactly fits the profile of a Nix/Gailey pick. Nix has said our biggest need is stopping the run, but last year, he said our biggest need was O-line, and didn't address that till round 5.

Nix and Gailey both are among the most forthright decision-makers when it comes to the draft. Or they were last year, anyway.