Nawrocki on Ralph

Answer me this: Do you think there is any chance in the world that Buddy Nix and Chan Gailey both tell Ralph that Newton is not good enough to draft at #3 and pay 60+ million dollars to, and they want to draft a DL which will make the team much better, and then Ralph tells them, "I want a QB, take Newton."

Gailey would very likely resign on the spot, and Nix probably would, too.

I don't know why you keep framing it that way. Of course Ralph isn't going to demand that Newton/Gabbert be taken at 3 if Nix & Co. tell him that they aren't worthy of a top-five pick. But that's not the issue - the issue is how best to build a team. I do believe that Nix could rate those QBs very highly, but be of the view that other positions are higher priorities to make this team competitive (i.e., Big Strong Guys), and that Ralph could overrule him in that sense. And that's where I get concerned. Ralph has PROVEN that he meddles, and he has PROVEN that he does not understand how best to build a team. But he has also proven that he knows what it takes to sell tickets, and winning isn't a condition precedent to that, at least not in Buffalo.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know why you keep framing it that way. Of course Ralph isn't going to demand that Newton/Gabbert be taken at 3 if Nix & Co. tell him that they aren't worthy of a top-five pick. But that's not the issue - the issue is how best to build a team. I do believe that Nix could rate those QBs very highly, but be of the view that other positions are higher priorities to make this team competitive (i.e., Big Strong Guys), and that Ralph could overrule him in that sense. And that's where I get concerned. Ralph has PROVEN that he meddles, and he has PROVEN that he does not understand how best to build a team. But he has also proven that he knows what it takes to sell tickets, and winning isn't a condition precedent to that, at least not in Buffalo.

We're never going to know. I'm framing it like that because numerous posters are outright claiming or implying that if Ralph wants a QB and likes Newton we're drafting Newton, and it's just not true. There is no way that happens. What's very possible, as said, is if Nix and Gailey like Newton a lot and think he has a very good chance of becoming a franchise QB, and he is in the top three on their board. If that's the case, Nix and Gailey would admit that they have no guarantee their first pick, say Dareus, is going to be better than Newton. And they would be okay with drafting Newton because they think he has huge potential. What they are not going to allow happen is if Newton is #10 or more on their board, but Ralph wants a QB. In that case, they draft a DL.

Answer me this: Do you think there is any chance in the world that Buddy Nix and Chan Gailey both tell Ralph that Newton is not good enough to draft at #3 and pay 60+ million dollars to, and they want to draft a DL which will make the team much better, and then Ralph tells them, "I want a QB, take Newton."

like no bills gm or coach has ever abruptly resigned? it certainly wouldn't be the first time but i suspect nix and gailey( and the uninterested candidates) knew what they were getting into. i doubt they'd do that. i don't doubt wilson would but neither you nor i will likely ever know. i think we all agree that wilson meddles to the detriment of the team and its fans. the only question is the extent.

like no bills gm or coach has ever abruptly resigned? it certainly wouldn't be the first time but i suspect nix and gailey( and the uninterested candidates) knew what they were getting into. i doubt they'd do that. i don't doubt wilson would but neither you nor i will likely ever know. i think we all agree that wilson meddles to the detriment of the team and its fans. the only question is the extent.

Well put Birdog. I think you hit the nail on the head in your last two posts.

“I think he was the best player in the draft,” Wilson said. “We’ve been dull for 10 years . . . no excitement. We’ve got to create some excitement.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/04/23/ralph-wilson-rips-tim-tebow-pick-denver-panicked/

We tend to pick the player Ralph says. Winning rarely is beind Ralphs decisions9selling tickets is). Newton is that pick this year. If he falls, I think you will see Newton as the pick turned in instantly just like last year, regardless of who Chan and Nix want.

“I think he was the best player in the draft,” Wilson said. “We’ve been dull for 10 years . . . no excitement. We’ve got to create some excitement.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/04/23/ralph-wilson-rips-tim-tebow-pick-denver-panicked/

We tend to pick the player Ralph says. Winning rarely is beind Ralphs decisions9selling tickets is). Newton is that pick this year. If he falls, I think you will see Newton as the pick turned in instantly just like last year, regardless of who Chan and Nix want.

I think you're right, but I sure hope we entertain trade offers from those directly below us before turning in the card.

Why would anyone assume that the Bills have ranked all QBs significantly lower than other positions? This is the scouting staff that ranked John McCargo equal to Haloti Ngata, Aaron Friggin Maybin as a top ten pick, JP Losman a franchise QB, and Fat Mike Williams as a franchise left tackle with ballerina feet. You seriously think they don't see any upside to Newton or Gabbert at all and that Modrak and his scouts have gone off the group think train and given the best QBs in this draft significantly lower grades when most mocks are projecting these 2 in the top 5 or 10?

How is it "proven" that Ralph meddles? Offering his opinion, which might or might not be taken by the GM and coach when it comes time to select a player? <_<

I know he backpedaled a little bit, probably because he was learned by Buddy that tipping your hand 6 months prior to the NFL draft is uncouth.

Do I get another "Ding" for using uncouth?

Yes, but the "learned by" vernacular cancels it :lol:

I don't know who is calling the shot at TBD on draft day and I don't care.

I just want them to....IMPROVE

How is it "proven" that Ralph meddles? Offering his opinion, which might or might not be taken by the GM and coach when it comes time to select a player? <_<

This is the same person who ordered Wade Phillips to start Rob Johnson in a playoff game because the QB beat Indianapolis in a near meaningless finale. I thought April fools was on the 1st. It's well known that RW wanted Lynch badly as well. Do you work for the team or something?

Why would anyone assume that the Bills have ranked all QBs significantly lower than other positions? This is the scouting staff that ranked John McCargo equal to Haloti Ngata, Aaron Friggin Maybin as a top ten pick, JP Losman a franchise QB, and Fat Mike Williams as a franchise left tackle with ballerina feet. You seriously think they don't see any upside to Newton or Gabbert at all and that Modrak and his scouts have gone off the group think train and given the best QBs in this draft significantly lower grades when most mocks are projecting these 2 in the top 5 or 10?

Can't argue with that...

I like Nix and Gailey but all GM's and HC's lean REAL heavily on their Scouting Staffs, and I have no confidence whatsoever in that Modrak led bunch at OBD...Personally I think anyone having anything to do with Picking Maybin ahead of Matthews, Orakpo, or Cushing should have been shown the door...Let alone the idiots that recommended Whitner over Ngata...Brutal... B-)

You sir are an ostrich.

Oh, the irony. Why not answer the question?

This is the same person who ordered Wade Phillips to start Rob Johnson in a playoff game because the QB beat Indianapolis in a near meaningless finale. I thought April fools was on the 1st. It's well known that RW wanted Lynch badly as well. Do you work for the team or something?

The Bills had that Titans playoff game won if not for a ST's gaffe, whereas they were struggling to win games at the end of the regular season. Not exactly the best example. And let's go with the theory that Ralph forced Levy and Jauron to take Lynch 12th overall. You realize that they took Donte Whitner 8th overall just a year before, right? Who did they really want? Timmons? Harrell? Quinn?

The obvious answer is that Ralph gives his input into the draft, but doesn't have final say. If all you can give me is Lynch, despite 40-odd other 1st round picks in the Bills' history, you don't have much.