Nawrocki on Ralph

http://www.profootballweekly.com:80/2011/04/20/colts-eyeing-qb-gabbert-worthy-of-top-five-pick

Q: Will the Bills go for a quarterback or defense?

Nawrocki: It all depends on who is available. If the Panthers stand put and select Cam Newton, the Bills' focus very likely will shift to selecting the best defensive player available, and their needs are greatest in the back seven. If Newton slides past the Panthers, the Bills could be faced with a dilemma that owner Ralph Wilson is surely to weigh in on given the struggles of the franchise to find a replacement for Jim Kelly. In the 14 years since Kelly retired, they have cycled through 10 starting quarterbacks (Todd Collins, Alex Van Pelt, Doug Flutie, Rob Johnson, Drew Bledsoe, J.P. Losman, Kelly Holcomb, Trent Edwards, Brian Brohm and Ryan Fitzpatrick). Chan Gailey runs a quarterback-friendly offense that does not require an elite triggerman to function adequately, and the Bills' most pressing need remains creating pressure on the opposing quarterback. Adding an impact defensive performer would make the most sense — but emotion often overrides logic when Wilson forces his opinion into the equation.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As evidenced by the Bills drafting ALL those QB's in the 1st round these past couple decades.

Nawrocki. :lol:

Completely missed the point as usual. It doesn't need to be a QB selection for RW to have "involved" himself in the decision making process. After all, Jerry Sullivan has mentioned that RW wanted Lynch in 2007 (cue the Sullivan rant) and I'm sure that's not the only instance he's been immersed in a draft pick.

But because it's someone saying something negative about the Bills, it's wrong and we conflate the argument.

I don't know, Nix seems like the kind of guy Ralph might be alright letting run the draft. He's old, he's been part of the organization long enough to have Ralph's confidences, and he is wise. I don't think Nix and Co. will draft a QB at #3 unless that QB is talented enough to take us all the way. Between Nix and Gailey, they should know if the guy is right. I just can't imagine them taking Newton, if he were available, if they didn't think he was their guy. Imagine if they had another QB or two rated higher than Newton - are you saying you think Ralph could make them take Newton even if they didn't want him? I just don't see that happening. If we end up with Newton, or any QB, I think it will be because Gailey pushed hard for him. After all, Gailey is the one who knows better than any of them what he needs in a QB to make his offense work best. Now, I see Newton as a very dangerous weapon in a Gailey style offense, if Gailey thinks he can handle the mental part of it. If they do draft Newton, I think we stand to have one the better offenses in the league for a long time - imagine the difficulty of covering Newton in one place, Spiller coming out of backfield, and the recievers - I think he'd create mismatches on almost every down. We'll see.

I don't know, Nix seems like the kind of guy Ralph might be alright letting run the draft. He's old, he's been part of the organization long enough to have Ralph's confidences, and he is wise. I don't think Nix and Co. will draft a QB at #3 unless that QB is talented enough to take us all the way. Between Nix and Gailey, they should know if the guy is right. I just can't imagine them taking Newton, if he were available, if they didn't think he was their guy. Imagine if they had another QB or two rated higher than Newton - are you saying you think Ralph could make them take Newton even if they didn't want him? I just don't see that happening. If we end up with Newton, or any QB, I think it will be because Gailey pushed hard for him. After all, Gailey is the one who knows better than any of them what he needs in a QB to make his offense work best. Now, I see Newton as a very dangerous weapon in a Gailey style offense, if Gailey thinks he can handle the mental part of it. If they do draft Newton, I think we stand to have one the better offenses in the league for a long time - imagine the difficulty of covering Newton in one place, Spiller coming out of backfield, and the recievers - I think he'd create mismatches on almost every down. We'll see.

+1 (even though I think they will go defense at #3)

Completely missed the point as usual. It doesn't need to be a QB selection for RW to have "involved" himself in the decision making process. After all, Jerry Sullivan has mentioned that RW wanted Lynch in 2007 (cue the Sullivan rant) and I'm sure that's not the only instance he's been immersed in a draft pick.

But because it's someone saying something negative about the Bills, it's wrong and we conflate the argument.

Wow, Ralph wanted Lynch in 2007. That's damning stuff right there.

Who did Levy and Jauron want? Another safety?

Anyone that thinks anyone other than Ralph has selected the first pick in every draft since 1960 is delusional. Ralph always makes the first pick then hands over the keys to the Taurus to his staff.

I almost completely agree with this. I'm not sure even Mr. Wilson would be stupid enough to select Whitner in a draft that was absolutely stacked with high quality players at positions of desperate need for the Bills. Same with McKelvin.

Imo, Mr. Wilson trusted Marv. and his loser protege Jauron. These guys believed that the way to win in Buffalo was to stock the team with DBs, special teams, and small players. They didn't believe in aggressive, attack style football, and even had Schobel, a very good pass rusher, covering tight ends. There was no chance of these 2 inferior football men building a winning team, and I mean none at all.

Mr. Wislon steps in when it's time to increase profits, thus the selections of players such as Lynch and most of all Spiller. This year, he actually ordered staff to scout qbs specifically. Does anyone think that Mr. Wilson would squander away money like this for no reason? Say what you will about his skills wrt building a winning team, but this man would earn a ton of money if he was 192 years old. A QB, even if he sits initially, will sell tickets. And, QBs get hurt. The kid would see playing time. Or, Mr. Wilson could simply order the coach to put him in.

Btw, as weird as this probably reads, I like it better than drafting the best DB available. At least with Nix/Gailey there would seem to be a chance for the Bills to not suck at some point.

Edited by Bill from NYC

Wow, Ralph wanted Lynch in 2007. That's damning stuff right there.

Who did Levy and Jauron want? Another safety?

They couldn't figure out if Compton was in the house or not, Ralph likes NWA.

Edited by Scrappy

http://www.profootballweekly.com:80/2011/04/20/colts-eyeing-qb-gabbert-worthy-of-top-five-pick

Nawrocki: It all depends on who is available. If the Panthers stand put and select Cam Newton, the Bills' focus very likely will shift to selecting the best defensive player available, and their needs are greatest in the back seven. If Newton slides past the Panthers, the Bills could be faced with a dilemma that owner Ralph Wilson is surely to weigh in on given the struggles of the franchise to find a replacement for Jim Kelly. In the 14 years since Kelly retired, they have cycled through 10 starting quarterbacks (Todd Collins, Alex Van Pelt, Doug Flutie, Rob Johnson, Drew Bledsoe, J.P. Losman, Kelly Holcomb, Trent Edwards, Brian Brohm and Ryan Fitzpatrick). Chan Gailey runs a quarterback-friendly offense that does not require an elite triggerman to function adequately, and the Bills' most pressing need remains creating pressure on the opposing quarterback. Adding an impact defensive performer would make the most sense — but emotion often overrides logic when Wilson forces his opinion into the equation.

"if newton slides....ralph wilson is surely to weigh in". the only way he doesn't weigh in is if he oversleeps on draft day or is in some other manner indisposed. otherwise it will be a qb at #3. it has been decreed.

The reason why I believe the Bills will select QB at #3 is because Ralph said that drafting a QB in this years draft was the team's top priority. I know he said this back in October and Fitz performed admirably after that statement, but other than stating that the team will not reach for a QB at the #3 spot, Ralph hasn't come out publicly and said that he recants that statement from October, or even has given a vote of confidence for Fitz.

People that think Ralph is going to suddenly cede responsibility to Nix after calling the shots all these years are crazy. Nix and his staff compile data and Ralph chooses who the team will draft. Even after they drafted Lynch, they still drafted another RB in the 3rd round at Ralph's behest.

Edited by Hurricane Ditka

I almost completely agree with this. I'm not sure even Mr. Wilson would be stupid enough to select Whitner in a draft that was absolutely stacked with high quality players at positions of desperate need for the Bills. Same with McKelvin.

Imo, Mr. Wilson trusted Marv. and his loser protege Jauron. These guys believed that the way to win in Buffalo was to stock the team with DBs, special teams, and small players. They didn't believe in aggressive, attack style football, and even had Schobel, a very good pass rusher, covering tight ends. There was no chance of these 2 inferior football men building a winning team, and I mean none at all.

Mr. Wislon steps in when it's time to increase profits, thus the selections of players such as Lynch and most of all Spiller. This year, he actually ordered staff to scout qbs specifically. Does anyone think that Mr. Wilson would squander away money like this for no reason? Say what you will about his skills wrt building a winning team, but this man would earn a ton of money if he was 192 years old. A QB, even if he sits initially, will sell tickets. And, QBs get hurt. The kid would see playing time. Or, Mr. Wilson could simply order the coach to put him in.

Btw, as weird as this probably reads, I like it better than drafting the best DB available. At least with Nix/Gailey there would seem to be a chance for the Bills to not suck at some point.

While I don't really know if RW makes the final pick, here is my problem with some of what you said and most of what BillsVet always posts.

- If RW makes picks that increase profits, how is drafting Lynch or DBs consistent with that thought ? I think QBs, WRs are 'star' picks that draw everyone's attention

- If, as you stated, Levy/Jauron influenced the Whitner, McKelvin picks it implies that RW doesn't call the shots for first picks

- I don't see how Spiller would have been thought of as a ticket seller either. I don't think ticket sales last year were any significantly better than in previous years after a losing season. Bills fans have always bought tickets and I don't think sales would have been much different if we had picked a lineman instead of Spiller.

Hence, I am not totally convinced that RW calls the shots. The problem is that, this year, even if Nix, Whaley and Gailey think that a QB is worth picking high, it will only serve tp re-inforce the conspiracy theorists' conviction that RW makes the first pick.

The reason why I believe the Bills will select QB at #3 is because Ralph said that drafting a QB in this years draft was the team's top priority. I know he said this back in October and Fitz performed admirably after that statement, but other than stating that the team will not reach for a QB at the #3 spot, Ralph hasn't come out publicly and said that he recants that statement from October, or even has given a vote of confidence for Fitz.

People that think Ralph is going to suddenly cede responsibility to Nix after calling the shots all these years are crazy. Nix and his staff compile data and Ralph chooses who the team will draft. Even after they drafted Lynch, they still drafted another RB in the 3rd round at Ralph's behest.

Ding! Ding Ding!

First use of "cede" and "behest" on TBD.

Ralph said drafting a QB was the team's top priority in October 2010. In January 2011 he backpedaled, possibly at Buddy's BEHEST.

"If there is not a quarterback at No. 3 we like, we're not going to reach and take him," Wilson told The Buffalo News this week. "We're going to take the player we like best."

Edited by Astrobot

Ding! Ding Ding!

First use of "cede" and "behest" on TBD.

Ralph said drafting a QB was the team's top priority in October 2010. In January 2011 he backpedaled, possibly at Buddy's BEHEST.

I know he backpedaled a little bit, probably because he was learned by Buddy that tipping your hand 6 months prior to the NFL draft is uncouth.

Do I get another "Ding" for using uncouth?

Ralphie just said they wouldn't reach for a QB. Nix admitted that Gabbert has always been high on their draft board and his staff have gone out of their way to explain why his production wasn't where it should have been while at Missouri.

Does anyone else vehemently disagree with the bolded statements? I mean, besides Buddy Nix. Yeah, there's needs in the back 7, and the pass rush needs to get better, but the biggest defensive need is clearly stopping the run. And with Marcus Stroud gone, there's a bigger hole at DE than anywhere in the back 7.

Can't say I'm a fan of Nawrocki, especially after his column about Cam Newton.

I know he backpedaled a little bit, probably because he was learned by Buddy that tipping your hand 6 months prior to the NFL draft is uncouth.

Do I get another "Ding" for using uncouth?

Ralphie just said they wouldn't reach for a QB. Nix admitted that Gabbert has always been high on their draft board and his staff have gone out of their way to explain why his production wasn't where it should have been while at Missouri.

Ding!

Fitz will be fine with one more lineman in this draft. The OL allowed only 2 sacks after game 7, and this with a OL that wasn't the same over 2 weeks in a row. Before the Ravens game, Fitz was #2 in the NFL in passer rating, 1 point lower than that Indy Indoors.

Does anyone else vehemently disagree with the bolded statements? I mean, besides Buddy Nix. Yeah, there's needs in the back 7, and the pass rush needs to get better, but the biggest defensive need is clearly stopping the run. And with Marcus Stroud gone, there's a bigger hole at DE than anywhere in the back 7.

Can't say I'm a fan of Nawrocki, especially after his column about Cam Newton.

I'm guessing that "back 7" was a (glaring) typo and he really meant front 7. You don't create QB pressure with your "back 7". (What the heck is a "back 7" for a 3-4 defense anyway?) Besides, like you say, the Bills have the worst run defense in the entire league, and drafting more defensive backs won't improve that situation.

PS. Like it or not, Wilson is involved with the team. He's still the owner and boss and it's well known that he's not big on his employees going Donahoe-rogue and not keeping him in the loop.

While I don't really know if RW makes the final pick, here is my problem with some of what you said and most of what BillsVet always posts.

- If RW makes picks that increase profits, how is drafting Lynch or DBs consistent with that thought ? I think QBs, WRs are 'star' picks that draw everyone's attention

- If, as you stated, Levy/Jauron influenced the Whitner, McKelvin picks it implies that RW doesn't call the shots for first picks

- I don't see how Spiller would have been thought of as a ticket seller either. I don't think ticket sales last year were any significantly better than in previous years after a losing season. Bills fans have always bought tickets and I don't think sales would have been much different if we had picked a lineman instead of Spiller.

Hence, I am not totally convinced that RW calls the shots. The problem is that, this year, even if Nix, Whaley and Gailey think that a QB is worth picking high, it will only serve tp re-inforce the conspiracy theorists' conviction that RW makes the first pick.

This.

Again, I think that Mr. Wilson gave Levy lots of room because he trusted him, and because of this he trusted Jauron.

As for Spiller, he was featured in ads for season ticket sales, and Ralph said that the team needed more "excitement." And remember, if Spiller had played well, he would have sold tickets. Of course, he was a lousy player and this did not come to pass.