National Anthem

Chef Jim

Why is it at hockey games they actually sing the anthem the way it was supposed to be sung but at football games they feel they need to reinvent the song?

Screw that. What I want to know is: why do they sing God Bless America in Philly instead? :wacko:

Why is it at hockey games they actually sing the anthem the way it was supposed to be sung but at football games they feel they need to reinvent the song?

often times in football you have pop stars with over inflated self worths trying to put their own take on the sacred national anthem as artists, that is if they can even remember the correct words.

hockey there is a different tradition

often times in football you have pop stars with over inflated self worths trying to put their own take on the sacred national anthem as artists, that is if they can even remember the correct words.

hockey there is a different tradition

I pretty much knew the answer it was more of a rhetorical question.

Stay away from college games (not that it's an option for you). A lot of the time they get students to sing it, which brings it right back to the crappy versions where they have to stylize every single word. I've always wondered if anyone would care if I sat down in the middle of one of those versions that takes about 10 minutes to sing. At that point, it's not really the national anthem anymore so I'm not the one disrespecting it.

Stay away from college games (not that it's an option for you). A lot of the time they get students to sing it, which brings it right back to the crappy versions where they have to stylize every single word. I've always wondered if anyone would care if I sat down in the middle of one of those versions that takes about 10 minutes to sing. At that point, it's not really the national anthem anymore so I'm not the one disrespecting it.

Kind of like this version?

Was at Game 2 of the Penguins/Lighting series. They had a local Pittsburgher Army soldier sing it plain and simple. It was very inspiring.

Here's a better one. Buffalo vs Philadelphia. Why do they have to sing the Canadian anthem? Don't get me wrong I like it but why sing it?

I once saw that the Sabres had a pretty significant season ticket holder base in southern Ontario (%30 at one time), if that still holds true it may be to honor those fans as well.

I once saw that the Sabres had a pretty significant season ticket holder base in southern Ontario (%30 at one time), if that still holds true it may be to honor those fans as well.

So by that logic the Raiders should play the Mexican national anthem. :D

Oh by the way have any of you heard it? They used to play it at midnight on the "mighty 690" in San Diego years ago. It is a sports station that at the time broadcast out of Mexico so it could blast a higher power. That damn song goes on for ever.

this is true and to my knowledge Buffalo is the only city that regularly sings both anthems. It's a respect thing

So by that logic the Raiders should play the Mexican national anthem. :D

Oh by the way have any of you heard it? They used to play it at midnight on the "mighty 690" in San Diego years ago. It is a sports station that at the time broadcast out of Mexico so it could blast a higher power. That damn song goes on for ever.

A good number of San Diego stations still play the Mexican anthem because they are Mexican stations. For example, the Mighty 690 call letters were XTRA. In the U.S., the radio stations start with W or K, Canadian stations start with C and Mexican stations start with X. There are laws limiting how many U.S. stations are on the radio dial so the U.S. companies get around this by broadcasting U.S. oriented content by using the Mexican towers. The story is probably more complex than this but this is the basic arrangement. The Mighty 690 isn't so mighty any more. 1090 and 1360 are the SD stations and there are a few out of the LA market. Some of the same personalities are still around (Hacksaw, Ted Leitner).