The All Over Rated Team

Thailog80

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do so many people not understand the concept of "overrated"?

I've never heard anybody say Joey Harrington was any good since he started playing. Nobody has argued Keyshawn is an elite WR since about 1998; and I thought it was common knowledge that he was a 'possession WR'. Dre Bly is certainly overpaid, but he's played pretty well since everyone crucified the contract the Lions gave to him last year. Kevan Barlow and Tebucky Jones? You can't be serious....

It's like saying anchovies are overrated.

a couple of the names aren't as deserving of a spot on the All Over Rated team as they are of the All Past Their Prime team:

FB Alstott

G Brown

DT Sapp

S Lynch

Solid players a couple years ago, but clearly on the decline

And Peerless :lol:. It took the rest of the NFL 2 years to figure out what us Bills' fans knew in 2002 :lol:

Caveat Emptor, and thanks for Willis B)

All over rated team

No Bills but three former ones.

161814[/snapback]

Continuing on the same subject, which teams were over-rated at the

beginning of the season and the record they have to show for.

My picks are:

1. Dallas - Was overated after they over-achieved last year to a 10-6 record.

2. Minnesota - With TC as the DC and acquiring Winfield they were a

favorites to win the NFC north. Now they are fighting for a playoff spot.

3. Washington was given way too much credit for hiring Gibbs and Brunell

and Clinton Portis.

4. Baltimore was the chick pick to win the AFC north. Now they are 2 games

away from not making the playoffs.

5. Tenneesee

Continuing on the same subject, which teams were over-rated at the

beginning of the season and the record they have to show for.

My picks are:

1.  Dallas - Was overated after they over-achieved last year to a 10-6 record.

2.  Minnesota -  With TC as the DC and acquiring  Winfield they were a

favorites to win the NFC north. Now they are fighting for a playoff spot.

3.  Washington was given way too much credit for hiring Gibbs and Brunell

and Clinton Portis.

4.  Baltimore was the chick pick to win the AFC north. Now they are 2 games

away from not making the playoffs.

5.  Tenneesee

161852[/snapback]

How does KC not make this list? IMO, I would say Denver also although their record is decent.

Todd....I agree :lol:

Actually, do you think that Wiley is better than Denny or Kelsay?  Forget the cap number...who would you rather have?

161828[/snapback]

No - you can't forget cap number. Absolutely not. That's an essential part of the equation when evaluating a player.

So - NOT forgetting the cap number the choice is obvious, and it sure as hell isn't Wiley.

I find it interesting that the "What have you done for me lately" method of evaluation is applicable unless it comes to evaluating Buffalo's recent success.

I'm sorry to tell you this Steven, but building a team is a PROCESS. I doesn't - and shouldn't - happen over night.

First step was fixing the salary cap mess that was left. This was an imperative, as much as you deny it. Done with great success.

Second, bring in good players through the draft and via FA. This step could not happen in paralell with step one, because without cap $$ you can't get FAs, and any moron knows that most draft picks take a couple years to contribute.

Third, maintain a strong team utilizing the benefits of talent-based drafting and astute FA moves.

It is easy to see that the first two steps could take two years at the least just to start. If you don't understand that, you & I will never agree. I know you like to compare to John Fox & Marvin Lewis, but you can't. Those teams were completely different due to salary cap situation.

We are now in phase 3, thankfully. And we are finally starting to see the first two phases pay off. We can now draft the most talented player without being pressured by need (McGahee). We can afford veteran leaders that bring experience to a team (Vincent, Milloy, Adams, Moulds, etc.)

Donahoe has done an amazing job as GM. Not just good, but amazing.

No - you can't forget cap number. Absolutely not. That's an essential part of the equation when evaluating a player.

So - NOT forgetting the cap number the choice is obvious, and it sure as hell isn't Wiley.

I find it interesting that the "What have you done for me lately" method of evaluation is applicable unless it comes to evaluating Buffalo's recent success.

I'm sorry to tell you this Steven, but building a team is a PROCESS. I doesn't - and shouldn't - happen over night.

First step was fixing the salary cap mess that was left. This was an imperative, as much as you deny it. Done with great success.

Second, bring in good players through the draft and via FA. This step could not happen in paralell with step one, because without cap $$ you can't get FAs, and any moron knows that most draft picks take a couple years to contribute.

Third, maintain a strong team utilizing the benefits of talent-based drafting and astute FA moves.

It is easy to see that the first two steps could take two years at the least just to start. If you don't understand that, you & I will never agree. I know you like to compare to John Fox & Marvin Lewis, but you can't. Those teams were completely different due to salary cap situation.

We are now in phase 3, thankfully. And we are finally starting to see the first two phases pay off. We can now draft the most talented player without being pressured by need (McGahee). We can afford veteran leaders that bring experience to a team (Vincent, Milloy, Adams, Moulds, etc.)

Donahoe has done an amazing job as GM. Not just good, but amazing.

161874[/snapback]

You've been one of the few people (in addition to myself) who has supported TD and recognized how lucky we are to have him in charge.......at this point, I think if people can't recognize it it's a lost cause. There are 32 teams in this league.....all fighting for the same talent and for the same end. I'd rather have gone the past three years being frustrated in order to be annually competitive from this point forward, than to have NOT done things the way TD did and delay the inevitable. This team is in solid shape in many areas, and now the talent is beginning to blossom.....and they are gaining more confidence in themselves every day. We are damn lucky to have TD, and I have complete confidence that all that we have gone through since he got here will be worth it in spades.