Is it conceivable that we draft a QB but just not in the early rds?

Could the Bills be willing to draft a QB in the second half of the draft versus taking one in the first 3 rds? We do have Fitzpatrick and I think that everyone expects whatever potential QB that the Bills may select to sit at least a year. What if the Bills are willing to target a later rd prospect, someone like FAU QB Jeff Van Camp, and be willing to let him develope a little bit longer?

NO!....? YES .............NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Could the Bills be willing to draft a QB in the second half of the draft versus taking one in the first 3 rds? We do have Fitzpatrick and I think that everyone expects whatever potential QB that the Bills may select to sit at least a year. What if the Bills are willing to target a later rd prospect, someone like FAU QB Jeff Van Camp, and be willing to let him develope a little bit longer?

It depends on who Denver and Carolina select. I think if Miller and Dareus are off the board. The Bills will take Cam Newton, otherwise. It will be 1 of these 3 players the Bills draft. I don't really see a bad outcome. The most questional pick would be Cam Newton. Depends how quickly Cam Newton would progress or digress in an NFL Scheme...

For me, it's a question of HOW you reach higher. Taking a QB at #3 is a reasonable approach if you believe that the guy will eventually be great. But Fitz is a serviceable QB for now. In general, QBs get too much credit when a team wins, and take too much blame when a team loses. Gailey has a reputation for getting the most out of whatever QB you give him - - based partly on what he got out of Thigpen in KC. Why not take advantage of that coaching strength, and allocate our limited draft pick resources to positions of greater need?

We have a defensive coordinator who may or may not have a clue. I'd rather give him the stud #3 and #34 picks for the front 7, because unlike Gailey with QBs, he may need a stud front 7 player to make the 2011 defense effective. Same with the OL - - our OL coach may need a stud ROT to make the OL effective in 2011.

And if we don't draft a QB at #3, we are in a very favorable position to trade down with AZ at #5 or some other team in the top 10 that wants to leapfrog Cincy to draft a QB. If we can do that, we can use an extra relatively high pick to grab a ROT.

So yeah, my plan for 2011 would be Fitz, Thigpen and Brown at QB, with our first two picks going to front 7 defenders (plus a ROT if we get a chance to trade down from #3). When I eventually do draft a QB to replace Fitz, I want him to be behind an OL that won't get him killed. If Fitz gets killed this year, Thigpen would be a serviceable insurance policy. And because he presumably would have a relatively short learning curve to pick up the offense of a coach who was previously his OC, Thigpen would be an especially good choice for back-up QB this year. Delay in getting the next CBA signed might greatly shorten the time our back-up QB, whoever he winds up being, has to learn Gailey's offense for the 2011 season.

I will give you credit for one thing...It's the best possible plan to land Andrew Luck...Problem is Fitz is just good enough to pull out one more Game than some other Team that totally sucks and the Bills are right back here next year...Picking 3rd-10th with no Franchise QB and no Luck...If you know what I mean... ;)

I'll trust Gailey and Nix on this I guess...But they better hope Gabbert really sucks if they pass on him at #3 or it will likely be their ticket out of town...We'll see soon enough how it all plays out... B-)

don't most teams draft QB's every year?

Nope.

In 2010 there were 14 QBs drafted.

In 2009 there were 11 drafted.

In 2008 there were 13 drafted.

In 2007 there were 11 drafted.

In 2006 there were 12 drafted.

So usually 12 QBs are drafted each year in a 32 team league.

.....operative word here being "typically".

I would be very okay with Mallett in the 2nd.

Theres NO WAY Mallett will be there in the 2nd. I'll bet that Newton, Gabbert, Mallett and Ponder/Locker will be gone in the first. Leaving us Ponder/Locker or Dalton in the 2nd.

I don't buy any of what Buddy Nix says to the media. The media is concluding that the Bills will take Gabbert or nobody at all, but there are plenty of decent quarterback candidates with some talent to select from in this year's draft if you must take one and you don't want to use your 2nd or 3rd rounders on it.

I'd keep an eye on Josh Portis.