the draft before free agency

frogger

I prefer having FA start 1st. The reason I like it is because you can fill holes before the draft, then draft players for holes you haven't filled, then sign more players in FA after the draft. It gives teams more options. I think it would be nice if FA started 1-2 weeks prior to the draft as opposed to months before though. I see what you mean though, because the draft is the basis for a team future. This year, I just hope we have Free agency before july

It is going to drive up FA paydays. Few, if any teams will be able to fill all their needs with free agency. And with many teams in need of say a starting RT for instance, competition will drive up the price and favor big market teams. I wish we could of filled some needs already and kept our options more available in the draft.

Anyways I would have a two year plan going into this draft. The team would be built to win now, but be poised to win the Superbowl in 2 years. We need a longer term outlook with this draft then the myopic past 10 debacles. Draft to win in 2012!

Not sure if anyones has said anything about this, but personally I love the concept and prefer it, get the players you want in the draft fill in the holes with free agency.

Doing it this way, teams will address their primary needs through the draft most of the time and fill in the holes through FA.

What impact will this have on the huge FA contracts? Why pay top dollar if you aren't addressing a primary need. I would think players would rather have FA first. If there is a rookie cap it would make economical sense for teams to address their primary needs through the draft.

As a fan there is a void between the SB and the draft, FA fits well in their.

Edited by VADC Bills

Doing it this way, teams will address their primary needs through the draft most of the time and fill in the holes through FA.

What impact will this have on the huge FA contracts? Why pay top dollar if you aren't addressing a primary need. I would think players would rather have FA first. If there is a rookie cap it would make economical sense for teams to address their primary needs through the draft.

As a fan there is a void between the SB and the draft, FA fits well in their.

Ideally, the draft would be moved up to say middle of March, free agency starts the day after, with all of those that went undrafted and those who are free agents looking for employment. I think it benefits smarter front offices more than just big market teams. plus, the athletes could pick who better fits their chances after the draft. I would hate it if the Bills signed an average to big free agent to play RT and gave him a boat load, then the draft comes and sitting there in the 2nd round is a player that could have started at RT and come at a much cheaper price. Sure if the bills don't get that guy the free agent's asking price could be higher, but he might also have fewer options too.