Martez Wilson ILB !?!?!?

PDaDdy

Does anyone have any video or information on Martez Wilson? I would love the idea of getting this guy in the second round. His measureables are almost identical to Von Miller. In almost every combine event this guy was neck and neck with Miller. He is about 1" taller and than Von and at 250 is heavier. Looks like the guy can play special teams too and help out in kick game coverage as well as potentially challenge for a starting spot on defense.

I don't know if this guy will drop to the second round as I have heard that the patriots as well as other teams have expressed interest.

I dont love miller, but honestly wouldn't mind either of them, or even both. A rotation with those two, moats, poz, merriman, and Davis should be able to produce 4 strong starters, with potential to be elite if merriman is at old form and the rooks are decent

Does anyone have any video or information on Martez Wilson? I would love the idea of getting this guy in the second round. His measureables are almost identical to Von Miller. In almost every combine event this guy was neck and neck with Miller. He is about 1" taller and than Von and at 250 is heavier. Looks like the guy can play special teams too and help out in kick game coverage as well as potentially challenge for a starting spot on defense.

I don't know if this guy will drop to the second round as I have heard that the patriots as well as other teams have expressed interest.

Wilson may have similar size to Miller but that is exactly where any comparison is going to end REAL fast...He's no where even close to being the Football Player Miller is...Not whatsoever...

I think Wilson is a decent fit for any 3-4 Team on the inside...But I'm not certain he's worth a high 2nd Round Pick...He has the neck injury history and he's definitely a situational liability at times...At the top of the 3rd I'd be OK with him though... B-)

Martez Wilson is an intriguing prospect given his out-of-this-world combination of size and athletic ability. The criticism of Wilson, as I have heard, is that he just does not have commensurate football instincts and skills. I watched a few Illinois games this season, and I barely even knew who he was until the scouting combine. It seems that if he were such an elite talent, he would have made more of a name for himself...especially playing in the Big-10. I'm not saying that he isn't going to be good. I'm just saying that I haven't seen anything tremendous from him on the football field.

Martez Wilson is an intriguing prospect given his out-of-this-world combination of size and athletic ability. The criticism of Wilson, as I have heard, is that he just does not have commensurate football instincts and skills. I watched a few Illinois games this season, and I barely even knew who he was until the scouting combine. It seems that if he were such an elite talent, he would have made more of a name for himself...especially playing in the Big-10. I'm not saying that he isn't going to be good. I'm just saying that I haven't seen anything tremendous from him on the football field.

Of course you've never seen anything tremendous from him on the football field. You've never even heard of him until the combine. So how can you have seen someone you didn't know even existed until then? :unsure:

So Wilson's 250 lbs are heavier than Millers 250 lbs?

I'm not buying Miller's 250lbs weigh in. He gained weight right before the combine, just like Maybin did, and we know how that ended up.

I look at the weight the athlete played under at the college level as a better indicator to what they might weigh in the pros.

After training camp and in-season workouts a player can drop ten to twenty pounds easily.

While it is possible for a particular player to gain weight and keep it on, I'm just not willing to risk that on a third overall pick.

The third overall pick should be physically matured already and not be asked to do anything different at the NFL level, IMO, such as be asked to play a new position. You can do that to players selected later in the draft, but not in the lower first round.

Of course you've never seen anything tremendous from him on the football field. You've never even heard of him until the combine. So how can you have seen someone you didn't know even existed until then? :unsure:

I suspect your reading comprehension is lacking. As I stated in my post, I did watch a few Illinois games this year and did not really see anything impressive from him. You would think, if he was such a great football player, that I at least would have heard his name called a couple of times during those games.

youtube.com/results?search_query=martez+wilson&aq=f

It's called Youtube. It's all the rage these days. :thumbsup:

I should have said other than Youtube. Most people probably assumed that though.

Wilson may have similar size to Miller but that is exactly where any comparison is going to end REAL fast...He's no where even close to being the Football Player Miller is...Not whatsoever...

I think Wilson is a decent fit for any 3-4 Team on the inside...But I'm not certain he's worth a high 2nd Round Pick...He has the neck injury history and he's definitely a situational liability at times...At the top of the 3rd I'd be OK with him though... B-)

No doubt. Miller is projected first round. Wilson second I believe. They both ruled the combine at the LB position. I was just pointing out the fact that they have very similar measureables Wilson actually being a tiny bit bigger. Seems like he could be a good fit for us.

So Wilson's 250 lbs are heavier than Millers 250 lbs?

No his 250lbs is heavier than Millers 246 ;) It's called math, less than, greater than.

It's not about Miller. It's about Wilson. I only mentioned Miller as a positive for Wilson seeing as how those two were great at their positional drills.

Why is Wilson being compared to Miller? 2 COMPLETELY different positions in a LB scheme. That's like comparing a tackle to a guard. This is just plain ridiculous. :thumbdown:

Not the point of the thread. Man, you Miller guys are vicious. [EDIT] Actually just saw your signature apparently you are actually a Quinn guy with a reading comprehension problem. Hammerstick seems to agree. LOL.

Might be why he is a second round prospect. Thanks for the info though. I wonder how much of a student of the game he is? I don't know that instincts can really be learned but he could work on his football skills. Would be nice to get the top OLB or DE and also the top rated ILB if they are actually worth it.

Edited by PDaDdy

I would like to see Kelvin Sheppard at RD2, but the weighing factor is the progress of Danny Batten, drafted and injured last year. They really like Batten, and he could allow the bills to snare a player at another position in RD2 (RT? a 2nd OLB? TE?)

I would like to see Kelvin Sheppard at RD2, but the weighing factor is the progress of Danny Batten, drafted and injured last year. They really like Batten, and he could allow the bills to snare a player at another position in RD2 (RT? a 2nd OLB? TE?)

I would hate to see us use an early pick on a TE. To me that is one of those pieces you add later after everything else is set. If the right guy is there at the right time I guess you draft em though. I don't know how often a Vernon Davis comes along. You could make a very strong case for a QB we liked or an OT though no doubt.

What do you base that statement on?

Not criticizing, just asking.

they don't even play the same position. I checked out his highlight package. Think I would consider him at #34. Would not consider Miller at #3.

I'm not buying Miller's 250lbs weigh in. He gained weight right before the combine, just like Maybin did, and we know how that ended up.

I look at the weight the athlete played under at the college level as a better indicator to what they might weigh in the pros.

After training camp and in-season workouts a player can drop ten to twenty pounds easily.

While it is possible for a particular player to gain weight and keep it on, I'm just not willing to risk that on a third overall pick.

The third overall pick should be physically matured already and not be asked to do anything different at the NFL level, IMO, such as be asked to play a new position. You can do that to players selected later in the draft, but not in the lower first round.

Oh for sure. You're 100% correct. I don't think I've seen a player yet that has increased their playing weight from a college 21 year old to the pros. Where do these people come from.

There are no fewer than 5 game packages of Martez Wilson and a few additional "highlight" packages of him on You Tube. More video exists on Wilson than most of the top prospects. BTW, like Aaron Maybin before him, Marcel Dareus has VERY LITTLE video existing. It's a bit disconcerting to take it on faith that someone is a top five talent but not be able to see so with one's own eyes.

Back to Wilson, I've spent a fair amount of time looking over his video as well as Kelvin Sheppard's.

I have to say, I'm not impressed at all with either guy. Neither of them are very instinctive or play very physically. The ILB position this year is even weaker than usual and there's typically not more than 2-3 decent ILB prospects. You can throw their listed height/weights out the window. These guys play small. Neither are difference makers and both appear to have negligible upside.

I would NOT take either player in the 2nd round. There's bound to be much better players at other positions than these two, IMO. If the Bills go run stuffer with their first pick, their second pick has to be a pass rusher, or visa versa. Failing that, there will be one of the top OT prospects available as well as one of the top tight ends. Inside linebacker is a very weak position this year, IMO.

The best ILB IMO by far, is Mason Foster of Washington. He isn't the physical talent the other two are but he's MUCH more instinctive and physical…knows how to defeat blocking schemes, flows to the ball well through traffic, recognizes plays and formations very early…better than Wilson or Sheppard in every way.

I would take Foster or Casey Matthews over either Wilson or Sheppard. Of course many people here are more concerned with size than actual playing ability.

Oh for sure. You're 100% correct. I don't think I've seen a player yet that has increased their playing weight from a college 21 year old to the pros. Where do these people come from.

I'm pretty sure this response is retaliation for the shot I took at you in the "trade our first for Green Bay's next two entire drafts" post, but surely you didn't miss the part in bold writing above, did you?

If so, lesson learned. Next time I'll continue reading on even when I think a post is absurd, before I reply.