Residency requirement for Buffalo teachers?

Beerball

So the Buffalo Common Council is trying to reduce the number of people fleeing the city by forcing people to live there. How the hell are they even able to do that? Aren't you able to live where you want and work where you want? I guess when your city sucks you have to force people to live there.

So the Buffalo Common Council is trying to reduce the number of people fleeing the city by forcing people to live there. How the hell are they even able to do that? Aren't you able to live where you want and work where you want? I guess when your city sucks you have to force people to live there.

:lol: new city motto:

Buffalo, we don't force everyone to live here!

Buffalo, our teachers don't want to live here why should you?

Buffalo, oh yes we can!

Buffalo, because I said so!

:lol: new city motto:

Buffalo, we don't force everyone to live here!

Buffalo, our teachers don't want to live here why should you?

Buffalo, oh yes we can!

Buffalo, because I said so!

I think bringing in the best and brightest teachers no matter where they live would be much better for the city.

It's not an uncommon requirement in cities. Philly has it for if not all, most, city jobs.

And the reasoning is?

I imagine the given rationale is to keep people invested in their community. I am sure the real rationale is a mix of guaranteed city wage tax payers at the 4.5% rate (non city people who work in the city pay a lesser rate of 4.2ish...that's me, prevent city flight, gaurantee property taxes in the city for most of them, encourages residents to spend in the city, etc. Dough ray me.

Nowadays, the city is much renewed and it's probably less of an issue. But 15-20 years ago, it was apparently a huge problem as no one wanted to live here.

Edited by Peace

The Buffalo School Board decided to do away with the residency requirement for teachers in a five to four vote in March. Some board members claimed this would expand the pool of applicants and attract stronger teachers to the city.

I wonder about this, maybe science and math- but I know it's almost impossible to get a Job in the Buffalo school district in History, English, Primary, and to a lessor extent Special education- we graduate a huge number of teachers in this area and most are going west or south, plus in special education we cycle through young teachers who stay a year or two then go west or south- some come back once they fatten up their resume but many find they can live without 5 months of cold gray weather.

And the reasoning is?

Environmental! Smaller footprint created.

Less travel time, wear and tear on roads and carbon emissions!

Just kidding... But man, you can work anything into here.

Like Peace said, it is supposed to bring an investment into the community... Many communities across the country have them... Especially here in Illinois... For the higher ups like village managers.

I imagine the given rationale is to keep people invested in their community. I am sure the real rationale is a mix of guaranteed city wage tax payers at the 4.5% rate (non city people who work in the city pay a lesser rate of 4.2ish...that's me, prevent city flight, gaurantee property taxes in the city for most of them, encourages residents to spend in the city, etc. Dough ray me.

Nowadays, the city is much renewed and it's probably less of an issue. But 15-20 years ago, it was apparently a huge problem as no one wanted to live here.

So keeping it local instead of attracting the best and brightest is investing in your future? No wonder Buffalo has had no future for so long.

So keeping it local instead of attracting the best and brightest is investing in your future? No wonder Buffalo has had no future for so long.

On a quick search, Chicago, Boston, Philly, Milwaukee have residency requirements. I am sure many other big cities too. Looks like Ohio ruled it illegal. Seems dumb to me. Let people live where they want. Most people who work in the city would want to live near it anyways. It makes even less sense in a tiny town like Buffalo.

On a quick search, Chicago, Boston, Philly, Milwaukee have residency requirements. I am sure many other big cities too. Looks like Ohio ruled it illegal. Seems dumb to me. Let people live where they want. Most people who work in the city would want to live near it anyways. It makes even less sense in a tiny town like Buffalo.

Good for Ohio. Could you imagine if your boss asking you where you live. I know the community pays their salary but that's just wrong. I don't know if the article adresses this but what if they move?