Mother Earth

So when mother earth throws a 8.1 tantrum in SF and ruins my house can I sue her?

No because you stole the materials from her when you built your stupid house. Duh.

Here is what you can do: If you live in a poor country you can sue someone in a developed country on behalf of Mother Earth. Mother Earth is the ultimate commie.

I like it. We're ruining the planet, what could be a bigger crime against future generations?

The problem when a country acts responsibly in isolation, they lose out economically to less responsible nations. And still suffer a lot of the effects of others global destruction anyway.

This strikes me as an attempt to level the playing field.

I like it. We're ruining the planet, what could be a bigger crime against future generations?

The problem when a country acts responsibly in isolation, they lose out economically to less responsible nations. And still suffer a lot of the effects of others global destruction anyway.

WTF are you talking about? This is insane! So humans can bring complaints on Mother Earth's behalf? If that big effing B word has a complaint, she can launch it herself, like she's been doing for billions of years.

You are as transparent as a freshly washed window.

Edited by 3rdnlng

...a series of specific rights that include [...] the right to repair livelihoods affected by human activities [...]

Wait...what?

It also establishes a Ministry of Mother Earth, and provides the planet with an ombudsman whose job is to hear nature's complaints as voiced by activist and other groups, including the state.

Oh, okay. I'm sure that's a good idea.

I hope this goes through. It will be a riot watching "Mother Earth" sue for things like pollution, when in fact its her !@#$ing fault I need to consume about 2,000 gallons of fuel oil per year to heat my house in the first place. And next time I get a sunburn, you can bet your ass she's getting an expense report claim for the aloe I needed to buy from CVS.

And next time I get a sunburn, you can bet your ass she's getting an expense report claim for the aloe I needed to buy from CVS.

That's not Mother Earth's fault, that's the Sun.

Can we sue the Sun for Global Warming Cooling Climate Change (We Can Believe In)®?

That's not Mother Earth's fault, that's the Sun.

Can we sue the Sun for Global Warming Cooling Climate Change (We Can Believe In)®?

Actually, Mommy Earth would be liable for parking my ass too close/far to the sun.

Go ahead mother earth....repair away.

Whose livelihood is she repairing, exactly?

Gotta love the unmitigated hubris of this idea. Like we need to grant the planet "rights". Like the planet possibly gives a **** what we think, and wouldn't shake us off in half a second if it had a mind to exert its "rights". We need a resolution protecting ourselfs more from "Mother Earth" than she needs one protecting herself from us...just ask the residents of Northern Japan.

The very concept of granting the planet "rights" makes me look humble.

Whose livelihood is she repairing, exactly?

Gotta love the unmitigated hubris of this idea. Like we need to grant the planet "rights". Like the planet possibly gives a **** what we think, and wouldn't shake us off in half a second if it had a mind to exert its "rights". We need a resolution protecting ourselfs more from "Mother Earth" than she needs one protecting herself from us...just ask the residents of Northern Japan.

The very concept of granting the planet "rights" makes me look humble.

Now that would be Mother Earth shattering!

Not sure what you're all so worked up about (nothing new there I guess.) Something like this already exists in nearly every nation on earth. In America it's called Environmental Protection Agency, or EPA. They enforce the legal standards for protecting the environment, and have the ability to hand out fines and other penalties; representing "mother earth", if you will. The explicit "Mother Earth" initiative strikes me as an attempt to provide global enforcement capability, so a small polluter like Bolivia could seek damages from a larger one like Brazil, US or China.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack