Question about Sirius Radio

stevestojan

What is the CHEAPEST set up i can get right now?

The reason I think more people dont buy it now is due to the fact that you need two or three components to make it work.

Here's what I want:

I want to be able to listen in my car and at my desk at work.

Anyone have a link to a full set up for that, all bundled?

my bro. showed me his at tgiving. It's one unit about 6 inches high, 1 1/2 thick and about 3 inches wide. He takes it anywhere he wants. there's a antenna on the unit and in the car he snaps it on this suction cup and mounts it in the windshield and plugs the power into the cig lighter accs. He yunes his car radio to fm 87...it has blue tooth to do that. he says he paid about $125 and he paid service for 1 yr. up front... they didn't ofer the one shot lifetime deal. He says it's worth it to him cuz he spends 2-3 hours per day in his car.

my bro. showed me his at tgiving.  It's one unit about 6 inches high, 1 1/2 thick and about 3 inches wide.  He takes it anywhere he wants.  there's a antenna on the unit and in the car he snaps it on this suction cup and mounts it in the windshield and plugs the power into the cig lighter accs.  He yunes his car radio to fm 87...it has blue tooth to do that.  he says he paid about $125 and he paid service for 1 yr. up front... they didn't ofer the one shot lifetime deal.  He says it's worth it to him cuz he spends 2-3 hours per day in his car.

161442[/snapback]

he has the portable unit? I thought that was like $400?

I thought for sure he said $125... I could be wrong. I know he pretty much takes it everywhere he goes... to the office, grocery store, lunch... that thing and he are pretty much joined at the hip.

pull an NJ Sue and google up a few portables and run a pricescan.com on them.

What is the CHEAPEST set up i can get right now?

The reason I think more people dont buy it now is due to the fact that you need two or three components to make it work.

Here's what I want:

I want to be able to listen in my car and at my desk at work.

Anyone have a link to a full set up for that, all bundled?

161432[/snapback]

Try here: www.google.com. :doh:

I haven't paid a whole lot of attention, but I think I've seen portable Sirius (though they may have been XM) receivers advertised on TV this past week for $99. And they apparently will plug into the car stereo, though it's probably an additional kit.

161445[/snapback]

XM has the walkman type with 5 hours record (MyFi)... Sirius will be coming out with one soon...?

I have had the Sportster since mid-September. It cost me $149.00 for for the receiver and car cradle. I bought the home cradle for 49 bucks and the boombox for 99 (I had a 25 dollar Best Buy gift card that i used towards the boombox... So the price was about $74.00)... Subcription is $12.95/month and you get all NFL games (2 broadcasts each... home announcers vs. away team announcers) If you want to add up to 3 more receivers, they are 6.95 each/month extra. Once you subscribe, you get free online streaming... You can try it online FREE for three days but, you can't get the NFL (People would absuse the system and only listen to the NFL for free... I guess??).

The thing works great... I can't live without... I take it from my car (FM modulated, the modulator is built in and can play to any FM radio) to my house (wired out to my AUX port of my stereo) everyday... I listen to the games at work with the boombox.

So, I guess the cheapest to get it up in running in your house or car is about 150... I think there are rebates offered now ($30.00???)

Go to SiriusBackStage.com... They have a forum there... I am registered under Thamus...

SiriusBackStageForum

Try here: www.google.com.   :doh:

I haven't paid a whole lot of attention, but I think I've seen portable Sirius (though they may have been XM) receivers advertised on TV this past week for $99.  And they apparently will plug into the car stereo, though it's probably an additional kit.

161455[/snapback]

Most units are FM modulated and can work certain FM freqs with any FM radio... I have had extremely good luck with this root in my car, since I don't have an AUX input... Some people complain about static since strong broadcast "walk" over your radio reception. There are remedies to FM noise.

1. The Sportster has an external FM out wire that aids in transmitting to your radios antenna. I use it and it works great. When traveling, I sometimes have to switch choice freqs due to strong signals.

2. You can unplug your car antenna and never listen to FM again... This will get rid of any strong surrounding signals... The receivers transmit up to about 15 feet... So it won't be a problem.

3. Get an antenna switch... It will hook up to the FM out (see #1) and then wire to your antenna... When you use the sat tuner... It will switch your antenna staff off and give the sat tuner a bee-line to your head unit (Better and less hassle when traveling.).

4. Use a cassette adpater and attach it to the tuner hardwire output (also on the back of the cadle.

5. Hardwire it to the back AUX inputs (I do this on the home cradle).

Don't worry, when transporting, the Sportster doesn't require you to shut off the FM mod if you then decide to use hardwire... It just might cause some interference elsewhere.

my bro. showed me his at tgiving.  It's one unit about 6 inches high, 1 1/2 thick and about 3 inches wide.  He takes it anywhere he wants.  there's a antenna on the unit and in the car he snaps it on this suction cup and mounts it in the windshield and plugs the power into the cig lighter accs.  He yunes his car radio to fm 87...it has blue tooth to do that.  he says he paid about $125 and he paid service for 1 yr. up front... they didn't ofer the one shot lifetime deal.  He says it's worth it to him cuz he spends 2-3 hours per day in his car.

161442[/snapback]

That sounds like the XAct unit.

Ohh... That brings me up to a Bills point and home announcers... Does anybody have any gripe about John Murphy not announcing the proper "spot" of the ball... It is really annoying... Last week, he is such a "homer"... That he practically jumped out of his seat leaving a quiet void... I think "The Pill", AVP, jokingly said he thought he was gonna have to finish the play-by-play.

I guess it is not so bad, since the Bills are winning... I enjoy listening to radio, it just gets annoying when you can't accurate visualize where the ball is...

I liked Van.

:doh:

yes

161614[/snapback]

Does anyone use the Sirius to listen to the game while watching on Directv. Would love to do this, however I got a feeling I could never get them in sync. Anybody?

One other question. Does anyone know if the antenna I use for XM could also be used for Serius?