OT-Sox sign Renteria

Thailog80

I'm not very upset about Edgar leaving.  Now we will jump in on the Big Unit and Hudson trading sweepstakes.  We were on hold with Renteria because of our tight budget and now that we don't have to pay him we can get top flight pitching which in reality is all we need to win it all anyways.

161368[/snapback]

Renteria alone is replaceable. Both Matheney and Renteria is a tough pill to swallow though, no?

Renteria alone is replaceable. Both Matheney and Renteria is a tough pill to swallow though, no?

161372[/snapback]

No, not at all. Matheny was a good defensive catcher as far as blocking balls. I don't think he was very good at throwing out baserunners (the most important thing about a defensive catcher in my eyes) and he couldn't hit to save his life. Molina should do alright for us next year.

Renteria is not worth anywhere close to 10 million per. 6 or 7 tops.

The Cards will be fine, our offense will drop off a little bit without Edgar, but if we are able to get a pitcher or two that won't make much difference.

No, not at all.  Matheny was a good defensive catcher as far as blocking balls.  I don't think he was very good at throwing out baserunners (the most important thing about a defensive catcher in my eyes) and he couldn't hit to save his life.  Molina should do alright for us next year.

Renteria is not worth anywhere close to 10 million per.  6 or 7 tops.

The Cards will be fine, our offense will drop off a little bit without Edgar, but if we are able to get a pitcher or two that won't make much difference.

161386[/snapback]

Optimistic, but NOT realistic!! Those loses WILL hurt them if they dont sign any replacements. Leaves a pretty big hole in the middle of that line-up. PULL the wool from over your eyes and wake-up! Its obvious your a fan, we ALL know that, but come on man, anybody can see this is a major LOSS!!!!!!!!!

I like Orlando Cabeara but Renteria is a nice upgrade. I bet O-cab will be going to the Cards for 7-8 mil a year! Sox need to look into another starter now.

No, not at all.  Matheny was a good defensive catcher as far as blocking balls.  I don't think he was very good at throwing out baserunners (the most important thing about a defensive catcher in my eyes) and he couldn't hit to save his life.  Molina should do alright for us next year.

Renteria is not worth anywhere close to 10 million per.  6 or 7 tops.

161386[/snapback]

I don't see how losing your 2B, SS and C can't have an effect on your team. Middle infield is your nuts and bolts.

I mean, how many times did we hear about how great the D of the Cards was compared to everyone else? Now 3/8 of that is gone and it's not a big deal????

I don't see how losing your 2B, SS and C can't have an effect on your team. Middle infield is your nuts and bolts.

I mean, how many times did we hear about how great the D of the Cards was compared to everyone else? Now 3/8 of that is gone and it's not a big deal????

161494[/snapback]

Uh, you're not actually trying to use logic here, are you?

I'm not very upset about Edgar leaving.  Now we will jump in on the Big Unit and Hudson trading sweepstakes.  We were on hold with Renteria because of our tight budget and now that we don't have to pay him we can get top flight pitching which in reality is all we need to win it all anyways.

161368[/snapback]

Haha.... RJ will not approve a trade to St Louis... He want's to go to NY.

161494[/snapback]

I could not agree more gantrules. Im not sure if the Cards have something else up their sleeves or what, but whatever it is, I think they made some bad decisions up to this point.

All things being equal of course I would like to keep Edgar. He's a good player but his main thing was defense and he was hitting in the 6 hole most of the year. We still have a lineup that consists of Rolen, Edmons, Pujols, Walker, and Sanders. That lineup is good enough to win. The Cardinals will probably sign Cabrerra at a cheaper rate and that would be fine.

Edgar dropped off production wise in 2004 and I don't believe he is worth 10 million a year. St. Louis needs a dominant starter to improve their team, and keeping Edgar means we don't get one, now we can try for one.

If the Cardinals don't get Johnson or one of the A's pitchers then I'm concerned.