Not So Famous Quotes

Chef Jim

I was talking to a guy at the bar waiting for my wife last night. I had a friend send me a birthday card that had this quote on the envelope.

"Too much of anything is bad, too much Champagne is just right." F. Scott Fitzgerald.

I told him that quote and he came back with this one:

"I once had a rose named after me and I was very flattered. But I was not pleased to read the description in the catalogue: no good in a bed, but fine up against a wall." :lol:

Anyone want to venture a guess who made the second one? No fair looking it up.

I was talking to a guy at the bar waiting for my wife last night. I had a friend send me a birthday card that had this quote on the envelope.

"Too much of anything is bad, too much Champagne is just right." F. Scott Fitzgerald.

I told him that quote and he came back with this one:

"I once had a rose named after me and I was very flattered. But I was not pleased to read the description in the catalogue: no good in a bed, but fine up against a wall." :lol:

Anyone want to venture a guess who made the second one? No fair looking it up.

Eleanor Roosevelt. That's actually a pretty well-known one.

I didn't cheat, but that may not have been entirely fair. I routinely put quotes in e-mail subject lines rather than some stupid descriptor, and put a lot on my blog, etc. That's one I've seen before and is very memorable because it's doubtless that many view of her as some stodgy elite who disliked Churchill when in reality she was good-humored and, more than that, witty. I don't agree with her politics, but she must've been a fun person to know.

To keep this going:

"Don’t speak unless you think you can improve the silence."

Somebody a little bawdy...

I'll give 3 guesses

Bette Davis

Marlene Dietrich

Liz Taylor

Well UConn got it above but your guesses make a lot more sense than who really said it.

"Don't speak unless you think you can improve the silence."

DCTom? Wait no that can't be right. He didn't call anyone a !@#$ing idiot.

Well UConn got it above but your guesses make a lot more sense than who really said it.

DCTom? Wait no that can't be right. He didn't call anyone a !@#$ing idiot.

:lol: That's not too far off what I was thinking.

Time's up.

That was Adolph Rupp, legendary basketball coach at Kentucky.

Next not-so-famous quote... In light of today's marquee match-up... I will identify it myself b/c it was in a senior-year class I was in. We all :lol: --- especially us Red Sox fans.

"The Yankee fans in the class will now have to write an extra 30-page paper and they must write it sitting naked on a pile of broken glass." -- John Reynolds, ENGL 271W instructor, the day after the Yankees eliminated the Red Sox in Game 7 of the 2003 ALCS

Edited by UConn James