Does Anyone Coach Hoops?

CosmicBills

So I play in a midlife crisis basketball league with some folks from work. Mind you, we're pretty horrific. Besides myself, I think we only have one other player who actually played organized hoops on ANY level. We've only had two games so far, and it seems like most of the teams we're facing are on the same level or below.

Does anyone know of a simple offensive set (or a play or two) that's easy to teach and effective against a man defense? Mind you, some of our players don't have the basic vocabulary let alone basketball instincts. I need something really remedial but effective.

Thanks!

So I play in a midlife crisis basketball league with some folks from work. Mind you, we're pretty horrific. Besides myself, I think we only have one other player who actually played organized hoops on ANY level. We've only had two games so far, and it seems like most of the teams we're facing are on the same level or below.

Does anyone know of a simple offensive set (or a play or two) that's easy to teach and effective against a man defense? Mind you, some of our players don't have the basic vocabulary let alone basketball instincts. I need something really remedial but effective.

Thanks!

Pick and roll is the simplest play and before you knock it as too simple, Stockton and Malone used it to get to the Hall of Fame. The trick is the other 3 players need to get the hell out of the way.

My other favorite play for that type of league is this. Start with the ball on a wing (preferably in the hands of someone who can shoot so the defense isn't sagging too far off). One player is out at the top of the key and the other is on the opposite wing.

The other players are part of the play. Line up one on each box. The player on the box closest to the ballruns through the lane and backpicks the person guarding the teammate on the other box. That player cuts to the hoop and you deliver the ball fast to him.

It's just a simple back cut play but at the average pickup level, no one can pick it up. You can also do a high-low back pick just like this.

The trouble I found is that guys who never played don't set good picks. A good pick isn't set 2 feet from the guy you're picking. You run up and initiate a little contact so he literally has to push around you. And the guy who breaks has to break the moment the contact is made. Earlier and the pick isn't set. Later and the two players communicate or the guy gets around the pick. I'm a tall skinny guy and I set great picks because I come in and initiate contact--the guy I'm picking is literally off-balance as I set the pick. It's technically illegal to initiate that contact but if you do it without a push, no ref will call it.

I usually run an alley oop...someone at the top of the key has the ball and sees me cutting along the baseline...i start my jump outside of the lane by a couple feet and the guy at the top of the key tosses it up towards the side of the basket i am jumping from. I catch the ball while still elevating and then with a mighty blast my alarm clock goes off. :wallbash:

Thanks!

I usually run an alley oop...someone at the top of the key has the ball and sees me cutting along the baseline...i start my jump outside of the lane by a couple feet and the guy at the top of the key tosses it up towards the side of the basket i am jumping from. I catch the ball while still elevating and then with a mighty blast my alarm clock goes off. :wallbash:

:lol:

That is good pooj I like that one.

Pretty funny story about setting picks. I play on Tuesday nights. It is a bunch of bankers so not a great league but not bad either. Most of us have played high school ball at the least. It is an over 35 league so we got a bunch of old timers in the league so it is not much fast breaking, but more half court offense & these bastards that is all they do is set picks & they all know how to set picks. It is a major workout just playing defense running around a pick every 3 seconds.

So anyways we are playing & our one guard(who is kind of a hot head) is guarding this guy bringing the ball up the floor. The guy on the other team decides to set a pick at half court(which in this league it is kind of an unwritten rule you do not do this) & man he just ran right into & got flattened. The funny thing was I seen it coming a mile away & I have to imagine most of my teammates did also. Noone said a word. He is basically crying in pain at half court & looks up & points to us & screams "can't one of you dumb f*cks call out the pick" I just lost it. I ran out of the gym laughing my ass off.

Edited by Gordio

I coached youth level football and basketball.....

If you are looking for a simple offensive set for basketball I taught pick setting to get a free shot......

- Make sure everyone is working on a shooting drill where they have to dribble up then jump shoot at certain key mid level shots on the floor....A LOT....the players have to hit a good percentage of these shots.

- Next work on players setting picks for a ball handler to come to that point on the floor and shoot...NOTE.....all players should also be drilled to get back on defense as soon as the ball is rebounded either by your team or the other long shot long rebound.

- Picks should be firm.....but the pick setter should not move once he is set...it is up the ball carrier to scrap past the pick setter and get his shot off in good rythum BEFORE the defender can fighter over and under the pick

There is a lot more you can do.....but start here.

I agree about the pick and roll. As basic as it gets, but it is used on every level. You can create mismatches, you can pick and pop, or you can beat the guy on the roll and get an easy layup.

If the team does not know what they are doing stress keep moving without the ball. Back door pass's reward hustle. Go out of bounds and come back in if you have to. Spread out. Run the floor. D up. Play the dribble. If your team is in shape at least you can win just by tiring out the other team.