I'm Hoping For Change

So how did you want him to respond to that question?

Did you want him to evade the question? What I said was that he doesnt impose his views upon everyone. He's not what you think he is.

I think he's an evangelical who lets his Christianity pervade his political beliefs. That's a minus for me. Plus he seems way overly interested in social issues like amending the constitution to forbid same sex marriage--guided by his evangelical roots. Maybe he learned that at the evangelical college he attended.

I'm glad you like him. It will be interesting to see what happens if he enters the national stage. I am not a fan and it probably won't matter.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he's an evangelical who lets his Christianity pervade his political beliefs. That's a minus for me. Plus he seems way overly interested in social issues like amending the constitution to forbid same sex marriage--guided by his evangelical roots. Maybe he learned that at the evangelical college he attended.

I'm glad you like him. It will be interesting to see what happens if he enters the national stage. I am not a fan and it probably won't matter.

That is most of the Republican Party these days. You know it's bad when Newt feels as though he can act all high and mighty.

That is most of the Republican Party these days. You know it's bad when Newt feels as though he can act all high and mighty.

Newt scares me on certain issues. For instance, I don't think he'd be terribly opposed to forcing drug tests on citizens at random and forcing people into rehab clinics to cure them of the addictions Newt and the good congress have decided are criminal. However, I don't truly think he could make much headway on those issues, and he's very sound fiscally. I'd be willing to risk it to have him try to bring our economy back from the brink of disaster that the Ring-a-Ding kid has exacerbated.

Obama reminds me of a childhood friend of mine. He was mowing the grass and the lawnmower caught on fire. He saw the gas can and I assume the thought process went something like this: uh-oh fire => gas can=> gas = liquid => liquid = put out the fire) and he poured gas on the fire to put it out. That's a perfect metaphor for this presidency.

The part about that I find funny is that a huge base of support for the Tea Party / Republicans in their fight to repeal is from the Senior Citizens they lied to. Death Panels and all of that crap. NOW, Republicans love the Paul Ryan proposal which completely F's over Senior Citizens. Granted things need to be changed with Medicare and Social Security but the cuts that they are proposing are ridiculous. Especially when the average senior citizens pulls in roughly 19K per year. For women much less. Senior Citizens were simply duped by Republicans.

What SHOULD be done is what I have been saying all along... make amendments. Learn a new word Republicans and Tea Party people... a word called compromise. If you want democrats and their supporters to make cuts on social programs you need to raise taxes on corporations and the wealthiest few percent. According to what I heard 56% of Republicans would rather things be cut, government shut down, etc instead of acting like adults and compromising.

You mimic everything you hear. Really

I think the newly elected tea party reps are insane.

A Democrat is driving down a deserted road when he gets a flat tire. In the process of changing the tire, he loses his balance, tips over the hubcap and loses the lug nuts down a drain. Unsure what to do, the man begins walking on the road until he comes upon a state mental institute. He gets the attention of a Republican occupant through the fence and explains his dilemma. The man responds, "Why don't you just take one lug nut from the other three tires and use them to get you to a nearby gas station."

The Democrat is a little embarrased at such a simple answer and as he walks away, he stops, turns to the Republican and says "If you're so smart, what are you doing in there?" to which the man responded, "I may be crazy, but I'm not an idiot."

Newt scares me on certain issues. For instance, I don't think he'd be terribly opposed to forcing drug tests on citizens at random and forcing people into rehab clinics to cure them of the addictions Newt and the good congress have decided are criminal. However, I don't truly think he could make much headway on those issues, and he's very sound fiscally. I'd be willing to risk it to have him try to bring our economy back from the brink of disaster that the Ring-a-Ding kid has exacerbated.

Obama reminds me of a childhood friend of mine. He was mowing the grass and the lawnmower caught on fire. He saw the gas can and I assume the thought process went something like this: uh-oh fire => gas can=> gas = liquid => liquid = put out the fire) and he poured gas on the fire to put it out. That's a perfect metaphor for this presidency.

Terrible analogy, The correct analogies would be Tony from West Side Story ( had loyalty to one side saw something on the other side he wanted tried to be a peace maker and ended up dead) or a reverse Rodney King - said Can't we all... just... get along? then got the crap beaten out of him. Obama's problem are the following 1. no strong core values pragmatic is a trait not a value, 2. either politically naive or bought,if naive did he really think he was going to charm republicans and there was going to be some kind of meeting of the minds- it shows either a totally unrealistic and overblown opinion of his own persuasiveness or a totally unrealistic view of his political opponents and how to deal with adversaries- if it was me I'd bash the republicans everyday starting day one and force them to come out with legislation then rip them if they had nothing or rip any legislation they came out with to shreds- my message for the first 4 months would have been the republicans !@#$ed this up I'm going to give them a chance to come up with something to fix it. 3. He surrounded himself with the same morons who either didn't see the economic crisis coming or really created the underlying conditions for it, as for the rest of the team around him- his smart guys aren't very loyal and his loyal guys aren't very smart.

Terrible analogy, The correct analogies would be Tony from West Side Story ( had loyalty to one side saw something on the other side he wanted tried to be a peace maker and ended up dead) or a reverse Rodney King - said Can't we all... just... get along? then got the crap beaten out of him. Obama's problem are the following 1. no strong core values pragmatic is a trait not a value, 2. either politically naive or bought,if naive did he really think he was going to charm republicans and there was going to be some kind of meeting of the minds- it shows either a totally unrealistic and overblown opinion of his own persuasiveness or a totally unrealistic view of his political opponents and how to deal with adversaries- if it was me I'd bash the republicans everyday starting day one and force them to come out with legislation then rip them if they had nothing or rip any legislation they came out with to shreds- my message for the first 4 months would have been the republicans !@#$ed this up I'm going to give them a chance to come up with something to fix it. 3. He surrounded himself with the same morons who either didn't see the economic crisis coming or really created the underlying conditions for it, as for the rest of the team around him- his smart guys aren't very loyal and his loyal guys aren't very smart.

So Obama's problem is the Republicans? :lol:

So Obama's problem is the Republicans? :lol:

Of course. Who else would be responsible for the national debt and trillion-dollar deficits? The Democrats? Not likely...they only controlled the White House and both branches of Congress...

...if it was me I'd bash the republicans everyday starting day one and force them to come out with legislation then rip them if they had nothing or rip any legislation they came out with to shreds- my message for the first 4 months would have been the republicans !@#$ed this up I'm going to give them a chance to come up with something to fix it.

You have to know what's broken before you can fix it, and, no offense, but I've seen nothing to indicate that either of you has a clue on that front.

3. He surrounded himself with the same morons who either didn't see the economic crisis coming or really created the underlying conditions for it, as for the rest of the team around him- his smart guys aren't very loyal and his loyal guys aren't very smart.

I hate it when we find common ground, but I have to agree with you here. Rahm Emmanuelle made apx $350k on the board of Freddie or Fannie which appears to be a resume enhancer within the admin. Dodd and Frank wrote a bill to counter the financial crisis, as though they had no hand in it whatsoever. Of course I heard Jamie Gorelick, who was instrumental in creating the wall that prevented law enforcement and intelligence agencies from having a chance at stopping 9/11, is in line to head the FBI :blink: . You are absolutely right, being a first class !@#$ up is a badge of honor with this crowd.

You have to know what's broken before you can fix it, and, no offense, but I've seen nothing to indicate that either of you has a clue on that front.

I hate it when we find common ground, but I have to agree with you here. Rahm Emmanuelle made apx $350k on the board of Freddie or Fannie which appears to be a resume enhancer within the admin. Dodd and Frank wrote a bill to counter the financial crisis, as though they had no hand in it whatsoever. Of course I heard Jamie Gorelick, who was instrumental in creating the wall that prevented law enforcement and intelligence agencies from having a chance at stopping 9/11, is in line to head the FBI :blink: . You are absolutely right, being a first class !@#$ up is a badge of honor with this crowd.

Just a point of note: The Dodd-Frank bill is incredibly stupid and not even grounded in economic or regulatory reality, as it's contradictory to a degree where it makes illegal certain basic things like mortgages (seriously...every mortgage written in the past 16 months violates either HUD or Treasury regulations, as changed by Dodd-Frank.)

What's more, at least one of the authors - Dodd - knows it. When pointed out to him, his response was "We know, but we can't fix it because we're working on health care now." :wallbash:

Of course. Who else would be responsible for the national debt and trillion-dollar deficits? The Democrats? Not likely...they only controlled the White House and both branches of Congress...

For two years. The National debt and Trillion-Dollar Deficit didn't all happen within that time frame.

Actually, yes. The trillion dollar deficits did all happen within that time frame. But thanks for playing.

Oh please. The first bailout started under the Bush administration. Many of the problems we face with the current economy started A LONG time ago. And thanks for playing? Just stupid to say that.

I think the newly elected tea party reps are insane. Yes, would like sweeping reform and change but you still have to do responsibly. They aren't. If they were guess what, they would also cut into that trillion dollar area called defense spending. Nope. They would also raise taxes on corporations and the wealthiest few percent, they'll never do that. They are hypocrites.

Integrity - adherence to moral and ethical principles; soundness of moral character; honesty. Sorry just buying into their "ethical principles" especially when they only affect one group of people. Not everyone has to make sacrifices under their system.

Have you noticed whats going on lately? Nut jobs in the mideast. Lunatic fringe, nuclear dictators with the Pacific rim. Who knows what China will be up to in the next 20-30 years. The only reason your able to operate relatively freely is because of a strong military. I would much rather have a strong defense than being able to sleep at night because some overweight, Macdonald's eating project hud single mom is able to get medical for one her 6 kids she shouldn't have. Sorry for the run on sentence. Also, give it up on taxing the most wealthy. You sound like some cliched idealogical 20 something just out of college. The top 5% earners already pay way to much.

Oh please. The first bailout started under the Bush administration. Many of the problems we face with the current economy started A LONG time ago. And thanks for playing? Just stupid to say that.

Take it easy p, you seem very grumpy today, you're not your normal sarcastic and blissfully ignorant self. The trillion $$ budget deficits absolutely started under Obama. If you doubt this you can check the data, I'm not going to waste my time finding the link, if you want to refute me do so.

For two years. The National debt and Trillion-Dollar Deficit didn't all happen within that time frame.

The deficit ballooned after the Democrats got Congress in 2006 (although in their defense, a lot of that was the Bush administration rolling the war spending into the annual budget and daring Congress to pass it, whereas under the Republican congress they passed "supplemental spending" bills every so often to make the deficit look smaller.)

The national debt doubled - from roughly six to roughly twelve trillion - under a democratically-controlled White House and congress.

The NYT's analysis blames only a third of the deficit on Bush (and of that third, most of it on his Medicare reforms, which I always thought were supposed to be considered a good, liberal, progressive policy... :unsure:). Of course, the NYT analysis is also complete crap, considering they quote a two trillion dollar budget deficit. :wacko: I only quote it because, considering your assmudgeonry, you'd probably think it authoritative anyway.

The deficit ballooned after the Democrats got Congress in 2006 (although in their defense, a lot of that was the Bush administration rolling the war spending into the annual budget and daring Congress to pass it, whereas under the Republican congress they passed "supplemental spending" bills every so often to make the deficit look smaller.)

The national debt doubled - from roughly six to roughly twelve trillion - under a democratically-controlled White House and congress.

The NYT's analysis blames only a third of the deficit on Bush (and of that third, most of it on his Medicare reforms, which I always thought were supposed to be considered a good, liberal, progressive policy... :unsure:). Of course, the NYT analysis is also complete crap, considering they quote a two trillion dollar budget deficit. :wacko: I only quote it because, considering your assmudgeonry, you'd probably think it authoritative anyway.

I get royalties on that you know? I also have the exclusive rights to use the abc's of mudgeonry. I assume you know what I'm talking about. :lol:

1. you have to distinguish politics from policy- when you have some one on the ground the way the republicans were you keep kicking them until they stop moving 2. He had a small chance of fixing things in his first three months but he blew it and now the problem is not fixable if by fix you mean bring back the glory days- you can't stimulate you way out of it because the normal means of stimulation only provides 1 extra dollar of stimulation for every 8 dollars spent and for that extra dollar more than a dollar is loss through debasement of currency- you are also not going to cut you way out, industry is not going to increase investment when they are only running at 70% of capacity and there is not only no increase in demand but a better than 50% chance that demand will decrease as a another round of QE will export inflation forcing other countries to increase their interest rates and slow their economies- the downturn can be mitigated or delayed but only a miracle like finding a 10 trillion dollar natural resource or some huge technological breakthrough on the scale of the fusion/teleportation/matter rearrangement will stop it.