Eric Wood

Estro

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2011/03/31/draft-countdown-pick-no-28

2009: Bills select Louisville C Eric Wood

Wood has started all 24 games in which he has played since entering the league. The Bills like what they have seen and he is expected to be the starting center in '11.

Not sure if this is speculation. or fact, but with the addition of Urbik, it's certainly a possibility.

Wood has started all 24 games in which he has played since entering the league. The Bills like what they have seen and he is expected to be the starting center in '11.

Not sure if this is speculation. or fact, but with the addition of Urbik, it's certainly a possibility.

I think the plan all along is to play Eric Wood and C, its kind of weird to draft a RG in the 1st round. Less weird to draft a C that high. RG is probably the easiest position on the O-Line to fill.

Not related but:

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2011/03/31/draft-countdown-pick-no-3

2010: Buccaneers select Oklahoma DT Gerald McCoy - slow start but came on strong in the middle. Too early to tell.

2009: Chiefs select LSU DE Tyson Jackson - Heading for Bustville

2008: Falcons select Boston College QB Matt Ryan - Franchise QB

2007: Browns select Wisconsin OT Joe Thomas - Stud

2006: Titans select Texas QB Vince Young - Disappointment Headcase but may get a second shot, either way he has a .700 winning percentage as a starter, he just can't get on the field anymore, and many probably consider a bust for the Titans

2005: Browns select Michigan WR Braylon Edwards -Disappointment Not living up to #3 overall but is a serviceable to better WR when he's not dropping balls.

2004: Cardinals select Pittsburgh WR Larry Fitzgerald - Perspective Futre HoFer.

2003: Texans select Miami (Fla.) WR Andre Johnson - Perspective Futre HoFer

2002: Lions select Oregon QB Joey Harrington - Bust

2001: Browns select Florida DT Gerard Warren - Bust

So from 2001-2009 Thats 4 Studs 3 Busts - 2 Disappointment from the #3 overall.

Edited by Why So Serious?

So from 2001-2009 Thats 4 Studs 3 Busts - 2 Disappointment from the #3 overall.

All the more reason to stop making these kids multi-millionaires before they do a frickin thing on the field.

I hope so Hangman stinks and I think he played better at C than at G and I feel he fits there better.

Thinking about it in the simplest of terms, Wood always seemed to be a stout strong blocker who handled bull rushes well, btu struggled v quicker, lateral moving DTs. With him at C he can use his strnegth to take on big, less mobile NGs in the 3-4, and not have to block the smaller/quicker DTs in a 4-3 1v1 (likely helping a G with a double team). This is opposed to Hangman who got bowled over my nosegards and DTs.

All the more reason to stop making these kids multi-millionaires before they do a frickin thing on the field.

Completely unscientific but a trade down with Arizona:

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2011/03/31/draft-countdown-pick-no-5

has 0 busts and 2 disappointments with a whole lot of studs

A trade down with San Francisco:

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2011/03/31/draft-countdown-pick-no-7

is almost all disappointments and busts with the exception of bookends 2001 Andre Carter and 2010 Joe Hadden

I could not agree more since it seems about half of them never really live up to the hype and potential. I still fins itnshockingnthat the vets never seem to make an issue of this.

I could not agree more since it seems about half of them never really live up to the hype and potential. I still fins itnshockingnthat the vets never seem to make an issue of this.

I think what happens is that the agents start bitching and whining about the thought of a reduction in the rookie contracts, and since they typically support the union, the union and the vets tend to be less interested in making the rookie cuts. But yeah, I totally agree that it would seem the vets would want the rookie caps in place since they'd have access to a larger portion of the pie...I dunno, this whole thing is so screwed up...

I hope so Hangman stinks and I think he played better at C than at G and I feel he fits there better.

Thinking about it in the simplest of terms, Wood always seemed to be a stout strong blocker who handled bull rushes well, btu struggled v quicker, lateral moving DTs. With him at C he can use his strnegth to take on big, less mobile NGs in the 3-4, and not have to block the smaller/quicker DTs in a 4-3 1v1 (likely helping a G with a double team). This is opposed to Hangman who got bowled over my nosegards and DTs.

This is all very true and exactly how I saw the two. Wood is a natural center and has made his feelings known about playing the position. Barring injury, he will be the Bills' starting center for the next 10 years...

The drafting of Wood is the best OL draft choice the Bills have made since they drafted Reuben Brown in 1995. However, they should have inserted him as their starting center from day one of his first practice as a rookie. His two years spent at guard were wasted - of course he will be their starting center beginning this season and hopefully for the next 10 after that. Look at Pouncey last year for the Steelers. They drafted him because he was the best center on their board coming out of college, they started him at center as a rookie, and all he did was make the Pro Bowl for them.

Levitre should also have a serious look at starting at RT this season, if they ever start it up. He was a RT his entire career at college, and the Bills have a need there, so now that they have played him out of position for two seasons, perhaps it's time to try him out back at his original position??

Just sayin'. :doh:

.. which is why I always wonder/complain: why does it seem the Bills always draft guys and then change their positions?

If this team takes Cam Newton they'll immediately announce he solves our problems at TE.

Edited by Ennjay