drafting injured players

Marcus McNeil (spinal stenosis). I would count Crabtree too, although he ahsnt made the all pro team yet.

But with medical procedures these days the injuries are a lot less severe. Drew Brees should was torn to sheet and he came back fine. Wes Welker came back from an ACL in 8 months – and was in All Pro form too.

I say drafting injured players is the way to go. Target them. If you can draft a 1st round talent in the 2nd or 3rd because he tore his ACL or broke his ankle then take him. In 3 years he will have healed and be doing just fine.

Smart thing would be not to Draft Injured players. I don't remember anyone coming out of the draft injured being an all-pro...

Jim Kelly fell to us in the first round because he missed time in his senior year with a serious shoulder injury.

Nearly every player in the draft has suffered some sort of injury at some point in their career and will most likely suffer one or more in their NFL career.

More recently, Sam Bradford and Michael Crabtree were drafted early despite injury concerns.

The bottom line is that the team doctors have to decide how well they expect the player to recover from the injury. If the Dr's are OK with the player, I have no problem with him being picked.

**remember, every player in the draft is a crap shoot.

Smart thing would be not to Draft Injured players. I don't remember anyone coming out of the draft injured being an all-pro...

Admittedly, this is only the last few years, but:

Antonio Cromartie

Marcus McNeil

Adrian Peterson

Jonathan Stewart

Michael Crabtree

Sam Bradford

Rob Gronkowski

Not too bad...

Bowers' pro day was a harbinger. Thoner, you have a point, but while the surgery will fix the problem, it's always a loaded gun and are you ever really the same? I'd also say that when it comes to spines and knees, those are difficult injuries to fully recover from 100% and stay recovered.

One bad move and Marcus McNeil's neck becomes a career-ending injury.

With Bowers, the torn meniscus is the first stop in the unlucky triad. He might play a half season, full season or just one game before the ACL or MCL blows out. A gimpy knee on a pass rusher counters his immense talent. I can't see Buffalo investing a #3 and a ton of money and hope (of the team and the fans) into a gamble like that. It's too much risk when there are other equally talented players available without the serious injury concerns.

Bowers' pro day was a harbinger. Thoner, you have a point, but while the surgery will fix the problem, it's always a loaded gun and are you ever really the same? I'd also say that when it comes to spines and knees, those are difficult injuries to fully recover from 100% and stay recovered.

One bad move and Marcus McNeil's neck becomes a career-ending injury.

With Bowers, the torn meniscus is the first stop in the unlucky triad. He might play a half season, full season or just one game before the ACL or MCL blows out. A gimpy knee on a pass rusher counters his immense talent. I can't see Buffalo investing a #3 and a ton of money and hope (of the team and the fans) into a gamble like that. It's too much risk when there are other equally talented players available without the serious injury concerns.

Im not really sure what you mean by that. How did his pro day go? Did he struggle or do well? Did the injury hurt him? How was it indicative of his career?

And while these guys do have past injuries, that doesn’t make the injury prone. Bowers played most of the season on a bum knee. That’s a plus to me not a minus. Besides a Meniscus is pretty minor. Once its healed (which is prob mid May at the latest) its good as new. That wasn’t true 10 years ago but it is today.

Besides, anybody could tear their ACL on any play or walking to their car in the morning. Marcus McNeil is a good example. He has a spine condition but hasn’t suffered from any spinal injuries, yet many other players have had spinal injuries. Bowers knee shouldn’t be any more of a deterrent than anyone else’s knee.

The only guys teams should avoid are guys that are made of glass - Like Chad Pennington. One injury doesnt ruin a guy anymore, the only ones that can these days seem to be concussions. I can’t think of any players in this draft I would avoid because of injury concerns.

It's a very valid question. I was wondering the same thing. With it now coming out that Bowers pro day was poor and that he may be headed for microfracture surgery, I wonder how far he falls? If it's assumed that he will need additional surgery and won't be ready to play his rookie season, do the Bills pull the trigger in the 2nd round if he plummets that far? I think I would. Also, does the fact that we may not have a 2011 season factor into the decision of a team that really likes him healthy to take him early? Very curious. Can't wait for the draft!

POW!!!