Spiller - lost in the shuffle of this offseason

I'm not at all suggesting he is in or near "bust" territory but he certainly has played nowhere near his potential. I think more than any other player he may benefit from reps in the offseason. The guy has all of the physical tools but seemed to strugle with how to use his speed and the mental aspects of the game. Gailey will get more creative in finding ways to use him. However, Spiller may not have enough time and repetions given the likely loss of OTA's and even camp.

I hope to see him turn into the exciting player that his upside shows.

If Coach Gailey doesn't get more creative in finding ways to use him, it'll be more of the same. From what I saw last year, he does not appear to be a between the tackles runner in the NFL. I heard all last off season that he was a good pass catcher. Didn't see much of that. He needs to get the ball in a little space so he can use his speed. You just can't run away from everyone in the NFL like he did at Clemson.

Running the football is pretty much about instinct. This is why RB is considered the easiest position for a rookie to have an impact. Blocking assignments and rout running are only real issues a rookie RB needs to learn. Spiller was "seek the edge and out run the competition" in college. You’re not going to do this in the NFL. I had my doubts when we drafted him and I still do. Living in SC I saw a great deal of him.

The good news is that in 2 years Marcus Lattimore will be draft eligible. The Bills seem to draft a RB every 2 to 3 years so that would be right on course. :thumbsup:

If Coach Gailey doesn't get more creative in finding ways to use him, it'll be more of the same. From what I saw last year, he does not appear to be a between the tackles runner in the NFL. I heard all last off season that he was a good pass catcher. Didn't see much of that. He needs to get the ball in a little space so he can use his speed. You just can't run away from everyone in the NFL like he did at Clemson.

If he truly can't run between the tackles in the NFL then it likely causes him not to live up to his potential. Teams will find it easy to defend against him if they know he is always headed outside. I would agree that he is not going to touch the ball 30 times a game and run it up inside for the majority of the carries. He is likely to be split out more and would be a great threat on screens , draws or delayed plays.

In my opinion Spiller is going to have a break out year.

Contributing factors to his first year

- We had a incumbant starter in Fred Jackson. Keep in mind that Fred and CJ are essentially the same type of player so it isn't like you can use one of them as the "mash out the short yardage" like you would with Lynch.....Spiller did not have a clearly defined role

- Blitz pickup.....it seems like every rookie RB has a problem with this and CJ was no exception. Because CJ was behind the curve in blitz pickup it took him out of some packages that the bills like to run. Lets keep in mind that not only was CJ not productive....he also wasn't getting the PLAYING TIME to be productive either.

- CJ came into camp late.....I think this always hurts a rookie to do that in his first year. With a offseason and another training camp to figure out how to use CJ Chan will figure this out

- Improved OL......lets keep in mind that this line was in a constant state of flux last year.....Wood was coming off injury.....left tackle coming off injury......right tackle was a complete joke of a player and we played musical chairs there.....the only player that didn't have some kind of issue on the line was Levitre. I think the bills found some players they really like and will add more......we need the OL to stay healthy

- Lack of quality tight end.....the fact of the matter is while we might have had a couple of guys that could block....there was not a quality tight end on this roster.....a quality TE gives you an extra run blocker on the field.

And last but not least? CJ found out that he cant just run by everyone in the NFL....everyone is fast.......I personally think he will adjust....and be much better this year eventually taking Fred over as the starter.

If he truly can't run between the tackles in the NFL then it likely causes him not to live up to his potential. Teams will find it easy to defend against him if they know he is always headed outside. I would agree that he is not going to touch the ball 30 times a game and run it up inside for the majority of the carries. He is likely to be split out more and would be a great threat on screens , draws or delayed plays.

Towards the end of the year I thought I saw improvement from CJ in running between the tackles......

Believe it or not I think that running Gaily's pistol offense will actually help CJ in this area......spread everything out....make the QB a threat to run the ball as well.....create space a little easier in the middle of the field........make CJ a threat to both catch and run the ball from there......

BUT I do think I saw CJ get better between the tackles as the year went on....truth be told.....there just didn't look like a lot of space in there.

- We had a incumbant starter in Fred Jackson. Keep in mind that Fred and CJ are essentially the same type of player so it isn't like you can use one of them as the "mash out the short yardage" like you would with Lynch.....Spiller did not have a clearly defined role

- Blitz pickup.....it seems like every rookie RB has a problem with this and CJ was no exception. Because CJ was behind the curve in blitz pickup it took him out of some packages that the bills like to run. Lets keep in mind that not only was CJ not productive....he also wasn't getting the PLAYING TIME to be productive either.

- CJ came into camp late.....I think this always hurts a rookie to do that in his first year. With a offseason and another training camp to figure out how to use CJ Chan will figure this out

- Improved OL......lets keep in mind that this line was in a constant state of flux last year.....Wood was coming off injury.....left tackle coming off injury......right tackle was a complete joke of a player and we played musical chairs there.....the only player that didn't have some kind of issue on the line was Levitre. I think the bills found some players they really like and will add more......we need the OL to stay healthy

- Lack of quality tight end.....the fact of the matter is while we might have had a couple of guys that could block....there was not a quality tight end on this roster.....a quality TE gives you an extra run blocker on the field.

And last but not least? CJ found out that he cant just run by everyone in the NFL....everyone is fast.......I personally think he will adjust....and be much better this year eventually taking Fred over as the starter.

John I agree with all of your points except the suggest that FJ and CJ are the same type of back. FJ relies on a unique combination of strength, balance, speed and football smarts. FJ does not have world class physical skills - I think he uses what he has very well and with great toughness.

If CJ gets into the open field he has breakaway speed that FJ does not have. Sadly had Lunch played up to his potential he and CJ would have made for a very interesting set of backs. One that played beast mode between the tackles and one that could burn you with moves and speed. IMO FJ sits somewhere between the two.

John I agree with all of your points except the suggest that FJ and CJ are the same type of back. FJ relies on a unique combination of strength, balance, speed and football smarts. FJ does not have world class physical skills - I think he uses what he has very well and with great toughness.

If CJ gets into the open field he has breakaway speed that FJ does not have. Sadly had Lunch played up to his potential he and CJ would have made for a very interesting set of backs. One that played beast mode between the tackles and one that could burn you with moves and speed. IMO FJ sits somewhere between the two.

I guess the point I am trying to make is that neither of them are thumpers

As I said when Spiller was drafted it's like putting $2,000 rims on a rusted out car with no engine. Can he carry to rock 20-25 times a game? can he run between the tackles? can he pass block? and worst of all, something I thought he could do but saw no sign of, make plays catching the ball out of the backfield. I thought Buddy Nix was great saying " I'm going big you need big men in the trenches" I failed to catch the part when he said "right after I draft an undersized RB".

As I said when Spiller was drafted it's like putting $2,000 rims on a rusted out car with no engine. Can he carry to rock 20-25 times a game? can he run between the tackles? can he pass block? and worst of all, something I thought he could do but saw no sign of, make plays catching the ball out of the backfield. I thought Buddy Nix was great saying " I'm going big you need big men in the trenches" I failed to catch the part when he said "right after I draft an undersized RB".

He did go after big men in subsequent rounds. I'm not completely defending the Spiller pick but speed is also needed. Looking at the full 2010 draft right now I would grade it as a C. I know it is early but not one truly impact player has emerged from the group yet. Happily, I will say none are flops though Spiller probably at greastest risk of earning this distinction if he does not take a big step forward this season.

FJ's a year older so I'm guessing Chan will try to get CJ more touches. CJ's pretty good at catching the ball so maybe Fitz will throw some more his way

only if he can be trusted to pick up blitzes

Towards the end of the year I thought I saw improvement from CJ in running between the tackles......

Believe it or not I think that running Gaily's pistol offense will actually help CJ in this area......spread everything out....make the QB a threat to run the ball as well.....create space a little easier in the middle of the field........make CJ a threat to both catch and run the ball from there......

BUT I do think I saw CJ get better between the tackles as the year went on....truth be told.....there just didn't look like a lot of space in there.

when will that be installed?

Let's also not forget the Lynch factor. The Bills wasted entirely too much time trying to showcase Lynch in the preseason and through the first few weeks of the regular season. I believe that Gailey will have a better idea of how to best utilize Spiller this year in a manner in which he and Fred Jackson can co-exist. (See: Reggie Bush)

only if he can be trusted to pick up blitzes

when will that be installed?

Unknown.....but if Cam ends up being the pick sooner rather then later I would think

I do not understand the bashing of drafting linemen over the last two years.....

- In the 1st round they have been going after a player with a high ceiling (they were totally wrong on Maybin)

- But AFTER that pick....I thought they were true to their word

Eric Wood?

Andy Levitre?

Torrel Troupe?

Alex Carrington?

All big men.......

I'm not at all suggesting he is in or near "bust" territory but he certainly has played nowhere near his potential. I think more than any other player he may benefit from reps in the offseason. The guy has all of the physical tools but seemed to strugle with how to use his speed and the mental aspects of the game. Gailey will get more creative in finding ways to use him. However, Spiller may not have enough time and repetions given the likely loss of OTA's and even camp.

I hope to see him turn into the exciting player that his upside shows.

should have never drafted him, however hope he turns out great but just don't see it. He doesn't have the size for an every down back and will basically will be another Reggie Bush. :(

I tend to agree. What exactly a breakout year will be in terms of stats is another matter. I would like to think, based on what you laid out above 700yds rushing, 50receptions 7-10tds is totally reachable.

With that said, I think we'll have one 1000yd rusher on the team and that will be Fred Jackson.

I honestly believe that Chan will not overuse Spiller unless he's just killing it his 2nd season. He's got Freddy to use for another year and has the luxury of not having to pound Spiller 20+ times a game, something that would lead to a shorter career for CJ. Spiller in a sense is being held back for Chan's year three push for the playoffs. Totally hypothetical, yet a distinct possibility.