FBI needs publics help

Just Jack

FBI asks public for help breaking encrypted notes tied to 1999 murder

In what seems like a throwback to the still-unsolved Zodiac killings that terrorized the San Francisco Bay Area in the 1970s, the FBI has sent out a public appeal for amateur sleuths to help solve a key cryptographic clue in a 1999 murder case.

On June 30, 1999, police officers in St. Louis, Missouri found the body of 41-year-old Ricky McCormick, who'd been murdered and dumped in a field. The only clues investigators recovered from the scene were two encrypted notes stuffed into the victim's pockets.

The sad reality is that it is probably some sort of jibberish written by some guy on meth. I suppose this is not unlike many of the posts I've put up. :D

Maybe, but I doubt it. More likely it is jibberish written by some kind of psychopath. I'm sure that they (FBI) are farely certain this isn't a drug murder. The FBI doesn't think that someone might break the code, and decipher the message, they are hoping that someone might recognize the jibberish (ala "hey my brother writes like that") and report it to the FBI. This is exactly how they managed to catch the Unibomber. They agreed to publish his Manifesto, and his brother recognized it and reported it.

FYI, the jibberish was written by the victim, not the subject. They're hoping that deciphering the msgs will give them insight into his (the victims) activities (shortly) b4 the murder. His parents indicated that he often wrote stuff like this, but they never knew what it meant.

Maybe, but I doubt it. More likely it is jibberish written by some kind of psychopath. I'm sure that they (FBI) are farely certain this isn't a drug murder. The FBI doesn't think that someone might break the code, and decipher the message, they are hoping that someone might recognize the jibberish (ala "hey my brother writes like that") and report it to the FBI. This is exactly how they managed to catch the Unibomber. They agreed to publish his Manifesto, and his brother recognized it and reported it.

I wasn't trying to make light of the police work or circumstances of the investigation. I do hope they find the person.

I wasn't trying to make light of the police work or circumstances of the investigation. I do hope they find the person.

Didn't mean in that way. Just making a point. :D

FYI, the jibberish was written by the victim, not the subject. They're hoping that deciphering the msgs will give them insight into his (the victims) activities (shortly) b4 the murder. His parents indicated that he often wrote stuff like this, but they never knew what it meant.

Clearly I should have read the article all the way through......... I though the jibberish was left by the evil person........or maybe it was..... who knows......:P

so much for free speech. I asked for FBI, CIA, and Homeland successes. If you don't like the question, then try and justify this waste of our tax dollars. I tell you what. Ask me for FBI, CIA, and Homeland failures and I will list plenty

so much for free speech. I asked for FBI, CIA, and Homeland successes. If you don't like the question, then try and justify this waste of our tax dollars. I tell you what. Ask me for FBI, CIA, and Homeland failures and I will list plenty

Unabomber

Aldrich Ames

Robert Hannsen (one of thier own (FBI))

1993 WTC Bombing

USS Cole Bombing

John Gotti (LCN Cases)

Joseph Pistone LCN Cases

Civil Rights Cases of the 1960's (Mississippi Burning)

CIA was first in in Afganistan after 9/11 and with assistance from SF was able to bring down the Taliban.

CIA dissabled the Iraqi Air Defence network prior to Gulf War 1.

CIA had a number of plans to capture/kill Bin Laden however the then President (guess who) would not approve the missions.

DHS is a huge department in the Government so you will have to narrow it down a bit. But, the successes of some of the agencies with DHS are way to long to even begin to list them here.

Sure there have been some failures, but there have also been some great successes. You never hear about the case that results in a capture/disruption of a crime, you only hear about the ones that actually happen.

Unabomber

Aldrich Ames

Robert Hannsen (one of thier own (FBI))

1993 WTC Bombing

USS Cole Bombing

John Gotti (LCN Cases)

Joseph Pistone LCN Cases

Civil Rights Cases of the 1960's (Mississippi Burning)

CIA was first in in Afganistan after 9/11 and with assistance from SF was able to bring down the Taliban.

CIA dissabled the Iraqi Air Defence network prior to Gulf War 1.

CIA had a number of plans to capture/kill Bin Laden however the then President (guess who) would not approve the missions.

DHS is a huge department in the Government so you will have to narrow it down a bit. But, the successes of some of the agencies with DHS are way to long to even begin to list them here.

Sure there have been some failures, but there have also been some great successes. You never hear about the case that results in a capture/disruption of a crime, you only hear about the ones that actually happen.

Thank you for your response.

Unabomber- turned in by his brother. FBI was clueless before the brother gave the feds the info

Aldrich Ames- CIA traitor. This is supposed to be about CIA, FBI, and Homeland Security successes- not turncoats

Robert Hannsen (one of thier own (FBI))- see above.

1993 WTC Bombing- um- how is this considered a success? Ramsey Yusef entered the US on a Iraqi passport and eluded the FBI for years. The only way he was apprehended was because he accidently set his Manilla apartment on fire- and the Filipinos seized his computer. If you consider the Filipinos serendipitiously crack the case years after the fact an FBI success, you grade on the curve

USS Cole Bombing- again- how is this a success? The suicide bombers accomplished their goal and we had piss poor intelligence.

John Gotti (LCN Cases)- ok- they have had some success with the Mob. But it took a rat to bring down Gotti.

Joseph Pistone LCN Cases- see above, I am not that familiar with this case.

Civil Rights Cases of the 1960's (Mississippi Burning). Ok, there is one. But what about Hoover harrassing MLK and trying to blackmail him to kill himself. FBI and civil rights is almost mutually exclusive

Homeland security receives 50 times the budget of the FDA- and pursue such security issues as file sharing. Tell me the name Homeland Security is not straight from an Orwell novel. Our civil rights have been trampled and for what?

Some other failures and blowbacks-

Lockerbie

Iran

Guatemala

Cuba

Congo

Brazil

Indonesia

Vietnam

Laos

Cambodia

Greece

Chile

Afghanistan

El Salvador

Guatemala

Nicaragua

Iraq

I wish we would quit meddling with other countries affairs and that we become the benevolent country we market ourselves as

Thank you for your response.

You clearly have no idea how an investigation is run, or how you catch someone. And you clearly have no idea what agencies are under the Department of Homeland Security.

I should have listened when they told me to never feed the trolls.....:wallbash:

You clearly have no idea how an investigation is run, or how you catch someone. And you clearly have no idea what agencies are under the Department of Homeland Security.

I should have listened when they told me to never feed the trolls.....:wallbash:

thank you for the brilliant response. What are your opinions of how Buffalo local Steve Kurtz has been treated by FBI?

I am looking for return on investment. And I am not impressed with the past 75 years ROI