Parent picket school over accomodations

Beerball

Saw this on Today last week..originally thought i was going to side with the picketing parents, but not so after seeing the report.

All these kids are being asked to do is wash their hands twice a day,wash around their mouths after lunch(that one is weird to me) and not bring any nuts to school. Or, the alternative is to have this kid be isolated in her home instaed of being in school. typical "me first" mentality thet pervades society today. BTW, some parents were actually pissed that their kids could not have peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for lunch..the said was an intgral part of being a kid.

Little darlins are missing out on 10 minutes a day of learning..yep that will make a bigger difference in their lives than teaching them tolerance and compassion :wallbash: .

Edited by plenzmd1

Who is going to accommodate them after they graduate from high school, assuming they graduate of course.

Darwin?

Seriously, I don't see a problem with making some accommodation for a kid with that kind of condition (though I refuse to get my 'news' via video so I don't know exactly what they talked about). Is teaching kids to have a little empathy really that distasteful to people?

I am not gonna take sides in this matter... Yet, the whole peanut thing kinda is screwy. Why weren't these incidents reported years ago? I have read reports where the dry roasting process is at the center of this allergy issue. Not so much in Asian countries as the problem dry roasting process is mainly in the North American market.

On that note... Read up on pine nuts and how the demand for them is causing problems for people who eat them regularly. It has to do with demand and how they are brought to market... "Pushing" seasons and whatnot. Almost a reverse of the peanut problem, where the ones in question come out of China and Russia. Humans have been eating pine nuts for 1,000's of years... And now a problem? Same with peanuts.

Saw this on Today last week..originally thought i was going to side with the picketing parents, but not so after seeing the report.

All these kids are being asked to do is wash their hands twice a day,wash around their mouths after lunch(that one is weird to me) and not bring any nuts to school. Or, the alternative is to have this kid be isolated in her home instaed of being in school. typical "me first" mentality thet pervades society today. BTW, some parents were actually pissed that their kids could not have peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for lunch..the said was an intgral part of being a kid.

Little darlins are missing out on 10 minutes a day of learning..yep that will make a bigger difference in their lives than teaching them tolerance and compassion :wallbash: .

Thanks, I couldn't watch the video from work and wondered what the restrictions were (other than what was stated in print). Washing hands/mouths doesn't seem too tough to me.

Here's one reader comment form further down the page:

I have this same severe peanut allergy, and I was this child's age in the early 90s. I am very torn about this story. I know what it is like to feel 'weird' because of this. My parents started teaching me to avoid peanuts very early in life. I never had any kind of special accomodation in school other than to let the teachers ands students know about my problem. I knew to not touch anything that might have peanuts in it and to not eat anything that I was unsure of. I think this girl is old enough to be taught to be safe and to protect herself. She should be carrying an Epi-Pen at all times in her backpack, and her teacher/school administration should be taught how to use her. Her classmates should also be taught to keep their hands to themselves (that should be taught anyways). I don't see a problem with the extra hand washing that will prevent the spread of germs anyways. I hope this girl can have a normal life with her allergy like I have had. Sometimes it's a pain and it's not always easy, but it's possible to live without it dominating her life. My brother and I both do it each day.

When I was a kid, we had someone with a peanut allergy in school...did we wash our hands, and around our mouths? No. We made the kid eat peanut butter cookies.

Our parents certainly didn't picket over her...probably because they were too busy picketing the kid with AIDS...

When I was a kid, we had someone with a peanut allergy in school...did we wash our hands, and around our mouths? No. We made the kid eat peanut butter cookies.

Our parents certainly didn't picket over her...probably because they were too busy picketing the kid with AIDS...

HAHA now that has me laughing nice one.

I do wonder where all these allergies have come from lately..

HAHA now that has me laughing nice one.

I do wonder where all these allergies have come from lately..

I wonder too... Digging around, I found the "dry roasting" theory. I am not sure what to believe... Take it for what it is worth. It sounds screwy... But read up on pine nuts too... Totally bizzare what people come down with.

Just to be "safe" we held off to about 3 years giving our children peanuts... Again, I know this is screwy... Yet, immune systems do take a bit to get established. No?

Just a quick Google:

Why Peanut Allergies are on the Rise Now?

"The prevalence of peanut allergy among children tripled between 1997 and 2008, researchers found.

Respondents to a telephone survey reported that 1.4% of children had peanut allergies, up from just 0.4% a decade earlier, Scott Sicherer, MD, of Mount Sinai School of Medicine in New York City, and colleagues reported in the May 12 issue of the Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology.

"Although the total population prevalence of self-reported peanut and/or tree nut allergy did not increase among adults since 1997, there was a significant rise in self-reported allergies among children," the researchers wrote."

"...Peanut and tree nut allergies are the leading causes of fatal allergic reactions and are not typically outgrown, the researchers noted..."

These two statements seem to go against each other:

"...Its increase could be attributable to the "hygiene hypothesis" -- the idea that less exposure to allergens and bacteria in childhood leave the immune system underdeveloped and vulnerable, the researchers speculated.

Or it could be the timing of when the food is introduced, or how the food is prepared, the researchers said. Roasted peanuts, for instance, have increased allergenicity because cooking changes the nature of the proteins in the nut..."

The blue part above is the reason we held off for a while introducing them to our children.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

I wonder too... Digging around, I found the "dry roasting" theory. I am not sure what to believe... Take it for what it is worth. It sounds screwy... But read up on pine nuts too... Totally bizzare what people come down with.

Just to be "safe" we held off to about 3 years giving our children peanuts... Again, I know this is screwy... Yet, immune systems do take a bit to get established. No?

Just a quick Google:

Why Peanut Allergies are on the Rise Now?

"The prevalence of peanut allergy among children tripled between 1997 and 2008, researchers found.

Respondents to a telephone survey reported that 1.4% of children had peanut allergies, up from just 0.4% a decade earlier, Scott Sicherer, MD, of Mount Sinai School of Medicine in New York City, and colleagues reported in the May 12 issue of the Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology.

"Although the total population prevalence of self-reported peanut and/or tree nut allergy did not increase among adults since 1997, there was a significant rise in self-reported allergies among children," the researchers wrote."

"...Peanut and tree nut allergies are the leading causes of fatal allergic reactions and are not typically outgrown, the researchers noted..."

These two statements seem to go against each other:

"...Its increase could be attributable to the "hygiene hypothesis" -- the idea that less exposure to allergens and bacteria in childhood leave the immune system underdeveloped and vulnerable, the researchers speculated.

Or it could be the timing of when the food is introduced, or how the food is prepared, the researchers said. Roasted peanuts, for instance, have increased allergenicity because cooking changes the nature of the proteins in the nut..."

The blue part above is the reason we held off for a while introducing them to our children.

It's Jimmy Carter's fault.

It's Jimmy Carter's fault.

Come on Tom.. I am being serious. You are a smart fella... What do you think? Do refute the research?... Again, what do you think about what I posted? If you wanna stay cute, then stay cute... But just let it go.

Maybe I took your comment wrong... Sounds like you are bitter... What seems to be the problem here?

Come on Tom.. I am being serious. You are a smart fella... What do you think? Do refute the research?... Again, what do you think about what I posted? If you wanna stay cute, then stay cute... But just let it go.

You're assuming I read your post. Why on earth would I do something like that?

Maybe I took your comment wrong... Sounds like you are bitter... What seems to be the problem here?

No problem...just making a joke, along "all things are the president's fault, and Jimmy was a peanut farmer" lines. But thanks for making me explain it and thus make it even less funny than it already was, you stupid bastard.

You're assuming I read your post. Why on earth would I do something like that?

No problem...just making a joke, along "all things are the president's fault, and Jimmy was a peanut farmer" lines. But thanks for making me explain it and thus make it even less funny than it already was, you stupid bastard.

...Because it is useful information.