Buffalo population: 261,000

This sums it up well:

"...She said an "older town" like hers has seen seniors pass away and family homes converted to rental properties or demolished. She remembered living in a Walden Avenue house with her grandmother upstairs and brother and sister downstairs.

"It was a different world," she said. "Now people want bigger lots, they want bigger yards, they want bigger houses [and] space to build."

"...Take Buffalo out of the equation, in fact, and Erie County -- propelled by the suburban growth in Amherst, Clarence, Grand Island and others -- held its own, McMahon said..."

Guest three3

This sums it up well:

"...She said an "older town" like hers has seen seniors pass away and family homes converted to rental properties or demolished. She remembered living in a Walden Avenue house with her grandmother upstairs and brother and sister downstairs.

"It was a different world," she said. "Now people want bigger lots, they want bigger yards, they want bigger houses [and] space to build."

"...Take Buffalo out of the equation, in fact, and Erie County -- propelled by the suburban growth in Amherst, Clarence, Grand Island and others -- held its own, McMahon said..."

orchard park and amherst gained population. no surprise. why would you want to live in downtown buffalo except to avoid the southtowns snow? :crickets:

we need young people to stay in the wny area. we need them to reproduce here and have the offspring stay. how can this happen? jobs by any means. i swear, if i ran into the woman who threatened to sue verizon for blocking her precious view with the data center they had planned on putting here, well, let's just say it would get nasty and would be well worth it

This sums it up well:

I am sure the suburbanization of WNY has had a huge affect on the city proper but I think the policy's of the city government going back to the 70's has a lot to do with it also.

The city actually had people living and working in the city all at the same time. Now, with most business that produced something, having left, that equation no longer fits.

Couple that with the low income housing boom for over 75% of the city and viola, everyone leaves. Buffalo used to be a gem with alot to offer it's residents but now it only can offer affordable housing for everyone and the opportunity to see crime up close and personal.

I am sure the suburbanization of WNY has had a huge affect on the city proper but I think the policy's of the city government going back to the 70's has a lot to do with it also.

The city actually had people living and working in the city all at the same time. Now, with most business that produced something, having left, that equation no longer fits.

Couple that with the low income housing boom for over 75% of the city and viola, everyone leaves. Buffalo used to be a gem with alot to offer it's residents but now it only can offer affordable housing for everyone and the opportunity to see crime up close and personal.

True.

Most buisness that produced something were always HQ'd in some far away place other than BFLO... That was BFLO's weakness. It was always a labor town. Even if labor made more concessions, it was still doomed.

I work for the Corps of Engineers.. I started in survey and dredge ops in BFLO... BFLO at one time was the center for all of the Great Lakes dredge ops until the early 1980's... Just think how that hurt a bunch of local business' that fixed and supplied the Corps fleet... It was getting small by then though... But it did start in 1959 with the completion of the Seaway... BFLO being made a dead-end... No longer a hub. Shift to places like TOR in the last 50 years. Go back that 30 years and see what the opening of the Seaway did to start the slow bleed... Slowly as buisness and transportation became streamlined, even the fleets that would normally winter in BFLO left. Again, slow bleed disguised by a lot. Cheap world steel being floated into the Lakes.

What I am saying is it is bigger than local policy... It was national policy that forever altered BFLO. Even the strict fed work restrictions during WWII that saw the population artificially swell. And I am not playing the victim role here, it is what it is. Finally now, the population is correcting itself... But very painfully 65 years later.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

we need them to reproduce here and have the offspring stay. how can this happen?

Sometimes, when a man and a woman love each other very much.....er.....oh, I can't do this.....hey kid - go tell your folks it's time for "the talk" - they'll understand....:blush:

we need young people to stay in the wny area. we need them to reproduce here and have the offspring stay. how can this happen? jobs by any means. i swear, if i ran into the woman who threatened to sue verizon for blocking her precious view with the data center they had planned on putting here, well, let's just say it would get nasty and would be well worth it

That was my reaction last week regarding that woman and Verizon, but the more I thought and read about it, I don't think she really had much if anything to do with it........Verizon was going to build a $4B data center. They were also toying with Laramie, Wyoming with it, too........So, in December, Verizon buys a data company for $1.4B. No need for any of these new data centers when the problem is solved for now.

If they really wanted to be here and build a $4B datacenter, I would think it would be nothing to throw her enough money to buy her property and get rid of the lawsuit. It would peanuts compared to the rest of the project.

The fact that we were going to be spending $3.1M for every job created was a little ridiculous, too.

What if she said no? She didn't sell out for anything? Just saying.

Why would she do that?

edit - In case you didn't know, she doesn't even live there. She just rents out the property, so obviously that property is just for financial purposes. Give her enough money to go away, and everybody is happy.

Edited by bbb

It's tough in WNY to be in your 20s to early 30s and find jobs. I am from Rochester and love that city and the people. But there just weren't opportunities for someone like me in the town. The way I always describe Rochester to my friends here in LA is that it's a great place to grow up and a great place to live and raise a family when you're in your mid 30s/40s -- but everything that comes between those years it's a wasteland. Socially and job wise.

Why would she do that?

She likes her view and is content in life? I don't know? She is happy? Money isn't everything to many people... But then again, give me a half million more and I would say no... But man, if they start throwing the millions around I may even sell out! :devil:

This doesn't mean I agree with the lady... I haven't read the facts and what the issues are about. I really have to see what she has to say... And that really means sitting down with somebody like that (which would never happen).

Depends on what the situation is all about.

She likes her view and is content in life? I don't know? She is happy? Money isn't everything to many people... But then again, give me a half million more and I would say no... But man, if they start throwing the millions around I may even sell out! :devil:

This doesn't mean I agree with the lady... I haven't read the facts and what the issues are about. I really have to see what she has to say... And that really means sitting down with somebody like that (which would never happen).

Depends on what the situation is all about.

You must have replied before I put my edit in:

edit - In case you didn't know, she doesn't even live there. She just rents out the property, so obviously that property is just for financial purposes. Give her enough money to go away, and everybody is happy.

It's tough in WNY to be in your 20s to early 30s and find jobs. I am from Rochester and love that city and the people. But there just weren't opportunities for someone like me in the town. The way I always describe Rochester to my friends here in LA is that it's a great place to grow up and a great place to live and raise a family when you're in your mid 30s/40s -- but everything that comes between those years it's a wasteland. Socially and job wise.

Used to be never like that. That is why I like this part of the MidWest... It is a throwback... Best of both worlds.

You must have replied before I put my edit in:

:oops: :oops:

Thanks for the update... Yeah, she is scum then! She would bite! :D

:oops: :oops:

Thanks for the update... Yeah, she is scum then! She would bite! :D

Yeah, no doubt.

But, really my original point is that I no longer thought of this lady as the scum, but Verizon. She would have easily been bought out. They are full of crap about the whole thing. Sen. Maziarz is the one with the biggest mouth about the whole thing, and it turns out he got a lot of campaign cash from Verizon.

The whole thing didn't add up after thinking about it for a few minutes. Then, it turns out that Verizon bought a data company, and I'm sure they are using this lady's lawsuit as an excuse. Why aren't they going to Wyoming then? I suppose another lawsuit?!?

orchard park and amherst gained population. no surprise. why would you want to live in downtown buffalo except to avoid the southtowns snow? :crickets:

She should move to Lackawanna. Lots of waterfront and Lake views! :flirt:

I've gotten 2 calls from Buffalo-area recruiters in the last week - maybe things are turning.

My wife and I looked at moving there (back for me ... new city for her). The friggin tax situation is just so oppressive. Until Albany and the local governments get this it will be hard to attract people there. Out of curiosity were the jobs "good ones?"

My wife and I looked at moving there (back for me ... new city for her). The friggin tax situation is just so oppressive. Until Albany and the local governments get this it will be hard to attract people there. Out of curiosity were the jobs "good ones?"

I am not trying to start a pissing contest. What numbers are we looking @? And compared to what other place? Now factor in other services that may have to be paid out of pocket... For me in Illinois, it is water and garbage disposal that goes to a private contractor untop of taxes. Then mix in all kinds of other things... Like quality of life, travel times, schools situations, etc...

What kind of numbers are people really talking about when they say what you said above? I am trying to be honest here and give a "fair shake." What are really the bottom line numbers here?

5K, 10K, 20K a year??

Is it really about paying taxes or "paying the man?" Have you factored in all the + and -?