Japan repairs a destroyed highway in six days

"Melting pot" yes, "mosaic" no. I think you are confusing the two... We have always been a melting pot... Now we are more mosaic.

We are not, never have been, and never will be a "melting pot".

A stew maybe, an emulsion maybe, but not a melting pot.

What do you think the term "melting pot" really implies?

Tell me how you think this country was ever a "melting pot".

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are not, never have been, and never will be a "melting pot".

A stew maybe, an emulsion maybe, but not a melting pot.

What do you think the term "melting pot" really implies?

Tell me how you think this country was ever a "melting pot".

stew is a good analogy, keep your individuality but pick up a lot of flavor and the ingredients working together to make a whole greater than the parts.

stew is a good analogy, keep your individuality but pick up a lot of flavor and the ingredients working together to make a whole greater than the parts.

So have you recieved your rainbow farting unicorn pin yet? Try going to parts of Santa Ana and get directions in English or read the billboards. Try to walk into a store in certain parts of SF and try to buy something if you don't speak Chinese. The difference is people are not assimilating into the stew. We are the Sous-Vide of cultures if you're going to use a food analogy. Look it up.

That's why we have:

African-Americans

Chinese-Americans

Japanese-Americans

Mexican-Americans

Polish-Americans

Chinatown

Japantown

Little Italy

Etc...etc...etc.

So have you recieved your rainbow farting unicorn pin yet? Try going to parts of Santa Ana and get directions in English or read the billboards. Try to walk into a store in certain parts of SF and try to buy something if you don't speak Chinese. The difference is people are not assimilating into the stew. We are the Sous-Vide of cultures if you're going to use a food analogy. Look it up.

That's why we have:

African-Americans

Chinese-Americans

Japanese-Americans

Mexican-Americans

Polish-Americans

Chinatown

Japantown

Little Italy

Etc...etc...etc.

The rapid transit in San Jose has English, Spanish, Chinese, and Vietnamese signs on the trains.

Took my mom to Chinatown. We had to go into a Wells Fargo Bank to get someone to tell us where there was a place to by touristy stuff.

That's why we have:

African-Americans

Chinese-Americans

Japanese-Americans

Mexican-Americans

Polish-Americans

Chinatown

Japantown

Little Italy

Etc...etc...etc.

Stew doesn't cook in a minute- and it wouldn't hurt you to learn a little Spanish or Chinese and if that is beyond you they have phone apps.

That's why we have:

African-Americans

Chinese-Americans

Japanese-Americans

Mexican-Americans

Polish-Americans

Chinatown

Japantown

Little Italy

Etc...etc...etc.

That is the point Chef and I agree. Okay, stew pot then. YET, different that a moasic, which you explained as happening today.

Look my parents were a mix of 2nd and 1st generation Polish. They went to Polish schools, married in a Polish Church... Heck, my grandmother didn't stop saying her confession in Polish till she didn't have a Polish priest to say it to anymore... Early 1990's... My parent's wedding (1961) was even announced in an all Polish newspaper... YET melted or simmered in the stew as "Americans." Today it is a mosaic... We must have a common narrative again and return it to a stew. Education of the youth will benefit.

Stew doesn't cook in a minute- and it wouldn't hurt you to learn a little Spanish or Chinese and if that is beyond you they have phone apps.

That I also agree with. And everybody should be open to that.

The rapid transit in San Jose has English, Spanish, Chinese, and Vietnamese signs on the trains.

Took my mom to Chinatown. We had to go into a Wells Fargo Bank to get someone to tell us where there was a place to by touristy stuff.

And the same thing (except just Polish) would have happened on the East Side of BFLO 60 years ago.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Wouldn't hurt the immigrants to learn a little English, either.

****, if I wanted live where they speak Spanish or Chinese, I'd move to !@#$ing Spain or China. :wallbash:

****, if I wanted live where they speak Spanish or Chinese, I'd move to !@#$ing Spain or China. :wallbash:

That is the thing. It seems nobody wants to meet people halfway. Some group has always got to have the upper hand.

In my best southern accent:

Why can't be all be friends! ;)

I do speak Spanish you dip. And not because I wanted to so I could communicate with people. I learned it because I had to because many of my staff didn't speak a word of English and some after living here for 20 years or more. Sorry man, it doesn't take 20 years to cook a stew. Maybe you should get out and "experience" parts of this "great" country of ours.

you'd never do that, you'd make too many Americans happy- and you don't like to make anybody happy.

That is the point Chef and I agree. Okay, stew pot then. YET, different that a moasic, which you explained as happening today.

Look my parents were a mix of 2nd and 1st generation Polish. They went to Polish schools, married in a Polish Church... Heck, my grandmother didn't stop saying her confession in Polish till she didn't have a Polish priest to say it to anymore... Early 1990's... My parent's wedding (1961) was even announced in an all Polish newspaper... YET melted or simmered in the stew as "Americans." Today it is a mosaic... We must have a common narrative again and return it to a stew. Education of the youth will benefit.

But we're not all Americans in the way that the vast majority of the people inhabiting the island of Japan are Japanese hence the reason they work together. You know, that unity thing I was talking about that you found funny.

And that's not even the point. If they want to progress in life, it's in their interest to learn English, even if they are in Spain or China.

But we're not all Americans in the way that the vast majority of the people inhabiting the island of Japan are Japanese hence the reason they work together. You know, that unity thing I was talking about that you found funny.

It's because they are geographically blessed!

This concept is well beyond him.

You'd have the same success with trying to teach him Logic, Economics, or how to tie his shoes.

It's because they are geographically blessed!

Wow.. I am in stuck in the conservative craw for sure. For somebody (me) who doesn't make any "sense", people sure remember the points I make. The conservatives on these boards are really having a hard time with me. Let it go man!

So in other words there is no hope for America? Can you offer a solution where we can at least hold a candle to the superior Japanese. :rolleyes:

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Wow.. I am in stuck in the conservative craw for sure. For somebody (me) who doesn't make any "sense", people sure remember the points I make. The conservatives on these boards are really having a hard time with me. Let it go man!

Are you as careless in your work as you are in posting?

The only reason people remember the points you make is because they stand out for being so incredibly stupid.

So in other words there is no hope for America? Can you offer a solution where we can at least hold a candle to the superior Japanese. :rolleyes:

No there is none when it comes to us working together as one society as the Japanese do. And when it comes to working together the Japanese are far superiour to us. I'm sorry if you don't see or understand that.

Here in America you hear all the time

"I'm not working with that person beacuse theyr'e black"

"I'm not working with that person because they're white."

"I'm not working with that person because they're Chinese."

Etc, etc, etc

Now does that mean the Japanese are not racists? Hell no, they're the biggest racists there are. I had a Japanese friend I worked with. When I wanted to piss her off I'd call her Korean. :lol:

No there is none when it comes to us working together as one society as the Japanese do. And when it comes to working together the Japanese are far superiour to us. I'm sorry if you don't see or understand that.

Here in America you hear all the time

"I'm not working with that person beacuse theyr'e black"

"I'm not working with that person because they're white."

"I'm not working with that person because they're Chinese."

Etc, etc, etc

Now does that mean the Japanese are not racists? Hell no, they're the biggest racists there are. I had a Japanese friend I worked with. When I wanted to piss her off I'd call her Korean. :lol:

Really? No, I don't hear that all the time. Explain.