Japan repairs a destroyed highway in six days

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1369307/Japan-tsunami-earthquake-Road-repaired-SIX-days-destroyed.html

The picture of gaping chasms in a Japanese highway demonstrated the power of the March 11 earthquake. Now the astonishing speed of reconstruction is being used to highlight the nation’s ability to get back on its feet. Work began on March 17 and six days later the cratered section of the Great Kanto Highway in Naka was as good as new. It was ready to re-open to traffic last night.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1369307/Japan-tsunami-earthquake-Road-repaired-SIX-days-destroyed.html

The picture of gaping chasms in a Japanese highway demonstrated the power of the March 11 earthquake. Now the astonishing speed of reconstruction is being used to highlight the nation’s ability to get back on its feet. Work began on March 17 and six days later the cratered section of the Great Kanto Highway in Naka was as good as new. It was ready to re-open to traffic last night.

i remember that first picture. the thought of fixing that didnt come to my slow mind. one kind of imagines that with the nuclear thing, the rescues, etc... this would have stayed like this for a while.

very proud of the human race.

Takes us longer than 6 days to form a committee to perform a study to appoint a panel to perform a cost analysis of preparing a request for bids to conduct an estimate

funny. all that thought just for an estimate. lol.

probably killed many overtime hours in doing so as well.

http://www.dailymail...-destroyed.html

The picture of gaping chasms in a Japanese highway demonstrated the power of the March 11 earthquake. Now the astonishing speed of reconstruction is being used to highlight the nation's ability to get back on its feet. Work began on March 17 and six days later the cratered section of the Great Kanto Highway in Naka was as good as new. It was ready to re-open to traffic last night.

NASCAR pit crews change 4 tires in 15 seconds.

Takes us longer than 6 days to form a committee to perform a study to appoint a panel to perform a cost analysis of preparing a request for bids to conduct an estimate

No unions in Japan.

I also question the long-term stability of that fix, too. Looks like they scraped out the hillside, buttressed it, and poured a shitload of fill into it. That's not a stable base for a road. Still, if you've just had a 9.0 earthquake, and you need trucks of food moving quick, it'll work. And it's still damned impressive.

NASCAR pit crews change 4 tires in 15 seconds.

Please tell me you were joking, and you're not really this stupid.

No unions in Japan.

I also question the long-term stability of that fix, too. Looks like they scraped out the hillside, buttressed it, and poured a shitload of fill into it. That's not a stable base for a road. Still, if you've just had a 9.0 earthquake, and you need trucks of food moving quick, it'll work. And it's still damned impressive.

Please tell me you were joking, and you're not really this stupid.

Kee rist Tom, you having a bad day?

In the 5+ years that you have been here, how often have you noticed Tom not having a bad day?

Right. Just because you're all morons, means I'm always having a bad day.

If I am, it's becaue I'm dealing with all you morons.

You gotta really hand it to the Japanese! Such a good story.

What gets me is the gratuitious ballwashing... Like a PR machine.

I know people got their digs in here and all... I give the benefit of doubt to others if the same situation happened... I am not taking anything away from the Japanese, they did a wonderful job... That road needed to get up and online... FAST! Same would happen here in a pressing situation.

Tom is right... In 6 days what can they possibly do to make it really stable? 6 days is a feel good story... It can't possibly be "as good as new" from an engineering standpoint. I just hope they evaluate the structure before the next big quake may hit.

Look... How long did they estimate the Iraq oil fields, after the first Iraq war, to be burning? How long did they actually take to complete the job... Same situation here... When there is a will, there is a way.

The important thing is... The road is online. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

We can do stuff like that here. At the McArthur Maze (the eastern approach to the Oakland-Bay Bridge), a tanker truck crashed and burned on one ramp with another ramp over it. The upper ramp melted (hey Rosie, it does melt) and collapsed onto the lower ramp. It was open 26 days later. Same company repaired a bridge after the Northridge quake (SoCal) in about 3 weeks. The same company was in charge of moving new parts of the new Bay Bridge into place over two separate Labor Day weekends. The first one took one day less than scheduled and the second one opened one hour earlier than planned. That one would have been done one and a half days early, but they found a crack in another (old) part of the bridge that had nothing to do with the closure work.

PCH closed for a month for repairs caused by a landslide.

I know, I know. Not comparable. Probably three orders of magnitude more traffic on the GKH at any given time than on the PCH.

The fast repair is likely an indicator of the sense of urgency by the Japanese to get a major artery working whereas the PCH repair, well it's being done by Californians to a pretty and scenic road.

In my part of the world, I measure civil engineering projects by the US Civil War standard.

Any road or bridge project should not take more than four years from commencement to completion.

It's surprising to me how many projects I've seen that take/took longer than that.

You gotta really hand it to the Japanese! Such a good story.

What gets me is the gratuitious ballwashing... Like a PR machine.

I know people got their digs in here and all... I give the benefit of doubt to others if the same situation happened... I am not taking anything away from the Japanese, they did a wonderful job... That road needed to get up and online... FAST! Same would happen here in a pressing situation.

Tom is right... In 6 days what can they possibly do to make it really stable? 6 days is a feel good story... It can't possibly be "as good as new" from an engineering standpoint. I just hope they evaluate the structure before the next big quake may hit.

Look... How long did they estimate the Iraq oil fields, after the first Iraq war, to be burning? How long did they actually take to complete the job... Same situation here... When there is a will, there is a way.

The important thing is... The road is online. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

we are talking about a road right? i think it is as good as new. maybe even better.

dont agree with the 6 days is a feel good story.

if it were some crazy ass bridge fixed in 6 days, then i would believe your theory.

their people are so awesome!

You forgot about the sub-committee to study the environmental impact of issuing the RFP.

lol. and we are barely talking about the estimate.

another 32 days for the approval process.

Don't forget the three years of lawsuits by the environmentalists because "nature didn't want a highway there, so it destroyed it".