Interesting read on former cosmonauts

Beerball

Don't you have something like one 20 inch TV with no cable?.....Come on, just give me one of your crazy buys! :devil:

Nice of you to be looking out for Simon like that.

Okay... YOU want a LAMP... Here goes:

Yes... I do have a 1990 20" TV... Always had extended cable... Now I have the dig converter... HAD TO GET IT or my set wouldn't work. Never lived without cable, except pre-1977 as a youth. Same with internet, cellphones, and sat radio... Phones are going on 5 years old... Verizon just loves me! ;) Older child has a fancier "Android"... Better than ours. Kinda got them it all... Been with Sirius since 2003ish. Just waiting for the tv set and old sat receiver to blow up. I like making things "last" ... Got new 2 new vehicles in 2006.... Drive my vehicles for 10-15 years. I hate throwing anything away "just because." We don't recycle in our village/town... But make half the amount of garbage than the regular family... I just cringe too at the throw-a-way mentality. Excess stuff we just donate and give away... So don't think I am a hoarder.

Right now... I am throwing a couple grand into my Jeep to boost it up and make it more off-roadable. I like to go wheelin' in the country. I don't waste money on crap like Hollywood and movies... Just gas! I spend it on other things like taking my family out skiing or what not... Dinner... Etc... Not really big vacations, just mini-trips here and there... Yet drove to Disney World (first time ever for everybody) back in 2009. We spend about 6k for our children to go to a Catholic school... My son is getting ready to go to high school which will cost about 9 grand alone a year... Yet, he constantly scores in the 99 percentile on standardized tests, so we are hoping he may score high on the enterance exam and get a "full ride." Coming up in May... we are taking him down state (Uof I) to spend the weekend to compete at the state science fair... I guess we could have just drove down Sat. morning... I figure we stay the whole weekend in a hotel... That is another 250 a night.

It isn't the mainstream we spend on... Just the stupid sh*t... Christmas is usually low key with a just one or two gifts because it is usually like Christmas year round. Oh, and we do all the things and spend what we want and still save for the future... We live in a small "new" 15 year old house, small lot, in-town, that we had built... Cut back there... Not very "house rich." But when we get something, we usually get something nice. We also go back to BFLO every other month to visit family... That kinda adds up.

You know... Nickel and dime kinda crap. I can't even begin to tell you what the wife drops the disposble income on! :wallbash: For this month alone, I got a pile of checkbook receipts a mile high!

Shhhhhh... Just don't tell the wife about the Jeep... She is waiting for me to install hardwood floors THAT I DO NOT WANT until the carpet is unusable! Right now the Jeep has a busted front sawy bar link (still on-road driveable, but I am cautious)... That is all she thinks I am getting... Yet, it is gonna be with the rest of the suspension and fancy sway bar disco's... Tires (has 50+ k and they are worn all the way down), etc... etc... I hope she doesn't notice the difference? If it clears making it into the garage, she won't. ;) ;)

Then there is the average household repairs and maint... Keeping everything up to snuff and running well there... Lot of "older" things.. But still in good running order... That is why I gotta get on that Jeep!

I may seem like a Luddite in my own special way... But I am far from it... I got high-speed and Wi-Fi... I am just slow to upgrade... Usually when things die.

You are making me cringe having to say this... And defend my honor to the consumer culture! :P

Sorry for the disorganized rant. I do feel blessed and very thankful! I really could leave it all behind, except the education part, tomorrow! Maybe go live in the woods or a hole in the ground. Nothing but trappings!

Does this change my image bbb? I am still a nut right?

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am still a nut right?

Pretty much. But, you're a good sport and a good guy!

And, my cheapass friend would never take his family skiing nor have satellite radio, so he still is cheaper than you!

9 grand year for high school? Is there a polo team?

Did I say too much? :bag: :bag:

And it isn't that we are running away from the public schools... I went to public schools (there is a joke in there)... We want more religion/spirituality... Cringe is you want. And for me specifically, we can afford it... Take the burden off the stressed public schools.

My niece's high school was at least double that.

Yikes! I am still hoping for a little something since my son score very high... I heard they give certain amounts off... One child last year scored so high, they gave him a full ride. He's in 7th now and will be attending math classes at the high school in 8th grade.