Interesting read on former cosmonauts

Beerball

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't remember which Soyuz it was, but there was another accident later in the program where the capsule depressurized in orbit and killed all three cosmonauts before reentry even began. While the early Soyuz craft had many engineering issues, this rocket can be considered the "Safest" man-rated launcher on Earth. Soon to be the "only" man-rated launcher...

Did they just float into space forever?

Indeed the right stuff. Heroes all who ventured there in the early days.

It was an amazing time in history as others have expressed here. I've never been prouder to be an American as I was during the Mercury, Gemini, and Apollo programs. It seems like every month we were doing something amazing. It's sad that the many Russians who lost their lives to space exploration were never publicly honored.

Along with these signs. Our town's was posted on the outside fo the school and we never thought anything of it. I wonder when they took those down.

At my work, the lock and dam was built in 1960. At each control house there is pit... All poured concrete, thick walls/foundation of the control house... Which leadsdown 6 feet, then to about 25 or so feet down... Leads to the sump area below and under the river and lock chamber... Where all the electrical wiring accesses both sides of the lock chamber. Each of those 4 control house areas was designated a fallout shelter with that type of sign you showed. Those signs stayed up on the side of the control houses near the bilco doors to about 2005, when we took them down and replaced them with no sign at all. I wish I would have grabbed one, I think they took them for scrap??... I grabbed the a few other types of signs (dangerous current, no swimming, no wake) and have them hanging in my garage. I really wish I had an original Cold War fallout shelter sign... :wallbash: :wallbash:

At my work, the lock and dam was built in 1960. At each control house there is pit... All poured concrete, thick walls/foundation of the control house... Which leadsdown 6 feet, then to about 25 or so feet down... Leads to the sump area below and under the river and lock chamber... Where all the electrical wiring accesses both sides of the lock chamber. Each of those 4 control house areas was designated a fallout shelter with that type of sign you showed. Those signs stayed up on the side of the control houses near the bilco doors to about 2005, when we took them down and replaced them with no sign at all. I wish I would have grabbed one, I think they took them for scrap??... I grabbed the a few other types of signs (dangerous current, no swimming, no wake) and have them hanging in my garage. I really wish I had an original Cold War fallout shelter sign... :wallbash: :wallbash:

Pretty cheap on ebay

What a great era to be a young child. I loved it and soaked up all I could. I remember I had a Saturn 5 Rocket model that was the coolest thing. I still remember you could separate the command module from the rocket and open up the landing module and remove the LEM. I was terrible at making models but this once came out perfect.

First time I ever saw Wernher Von Braun - yes, THAT Wernher Von Braun was on Walt Disney's Wonderful World of Color. Walt was mesmerized by the space program. It was contagious.

Did they just float into space forever?

No, what happened is that when they undocked from thier space station, the explosive bolts holding the capsule (Soyuz 11) to the station which should have fired in sequence fired simultaneously, causing a valve to open and exposing them to the vacuum of space. The capsule landed normally and when the recovery team opened the hatch, all three cosmonauts were dead. Autopsy and investigation revealed the cause of death and the mechanical problems, and the Soyuz underwent massive redesign. These still remain the only deaths which occured in "space" which is defined as above 100km...

Indeed the right stuff. Heroes all who ventured there in the early days.

It was an amazing time in history as others have expressed here. I've never been prouder to be an American as I was during the Mercury, Gemini, and Apollo programs. It seems like every month we were doing something amazing. It's sad that the many Russians who lost their lives to space exploration were never publicly honored.

Hey come one we still do something amazing every month. I hear there's a new ithing coming out soon.

First time I ever saw Wernher Von Braun - yes, THAT Wernher Von Braun was on Walt Disney's Wonderful World of Color. Walt was mesmerized by the space program. It was contagious.

Barber Conable, my congressman and neighbor when I grew up, wanted to be on the NASA Committee when he was first elected to Congress in the early 60's. He too was fascinated wtih NASA and space flight. Unfortunately he was assigned to the Ways and Means. He came back to is office and told his secretary that he had bad news. They had to learn the tax laws. :lol:

You may be the cheapest of cheapos. You can something that you said "I really wish I had an original Cold War fallout shelter sign" for about $20, and you want it free!......Then again, you told me that when I bought my pocket tunes app, which has now served me great since I got it, that it was too expensive for $7.99. Not a month - a one time fee!

You may be the cheapest of cheapos. You can something that you said "I really wish I had an original Cold War fallout shelter sign" for about $20, and you want it free!......Then again, you told me that when I bought my pocket tunes app, which has now served me great since I got it, that it was too expensive for $7.99. Not a month - a one time fee!

:blush: :blush: :blush:

I suppose... There are things I overspend on. I am sorry for offending you a while back. The nice thing about getting something from a place other than EBay... Say work... At least it had a story behind it. That story is important too... Just as much as cost. I suppose, if I wanted it really as much as implied... I could just get it. What is the thrill/intrique there? Maybe I am just not articulating myself well. ;) ;) Nice to have the piece with a story behind it too. Again, sorry for not really explaining what: "I really wish I had an original Cold War fallout shelter sign" meant to me. I over simplified it and being a complicated person, that was probably not the best way to articulate what I meant. Just not the same having to buy, spend even such a little bit of dough, and then have no story behind it that I can personalize.

I suppose... There are things I overspend on. I am sorry for offending you a while back. The nice thing about getting something from a place other than EBay... Say work... At least it had a story behind it. That story is important too... Just as much as cost. I suppose, if I wanted it really as much as implied... I could just get it. What is the thrill/intrique there? Maybe I am just not articulating myself well. ;) ;) Nice to have the piece with a story behind it too. Again, sorry for not really explaining what: "I really wish I had an original Cold War fallout shelter sign" meant to me. I over simplified it and being a complicated person, that was probably not the best way to articulate what I meant. Just not the same having to buy, spend even such a little bit of dough, and then have no story behind it that I can personalize.

What's the story behind your Simon Pure tray?

BTW, that would make a nice Christmas gift for a certain mod who's not so Simon Pure. ;)

You're a self-admitted tightwad. You've said it before in other threads. I just think it's funny - one of my best friends is the same although you might put him to shame.

You're a self-admitted tightwad. You've said it before in other threads. I just think it's funny - one of my best friends is the same although you might put him to shame.

Maybe... Where as people brag about spending, taking vacations, lifestyle... To a certain point, I may be like that... But it makes me cringe speaking about conspicuous consumption. I would rather brag about more positve things like cutting back, that keeps me focused.

I not really tight... I waste a ton of money that I should not... I become indfferent at times and spend unwisely... I really wish at times I didn't. It really boils down to what people choose to spend their money on. You would be surprised bbb... But then I would cringe if I said where the dough goes.

All is bragging or LAMP on my part.

Maybe... Where as people brag about spending, taking vacations, lifestyle... To a certain point, I may be like that... But it makes me cringe speaking about conspicuous consumption. I would rather brag about more positve things like cutting back, that keeps me focused.

I not really tight... I waste a ton of money that I should not... I become indfferent at times and spend unwisely... I really wish at times I didn't. It really boils down to what people choose to spend their money on. You would be surprised bbb... But then I would cringe if I said where the dough goes.

All is bragging or LAMP on my part.

Don't you have something like one 20 inch TV with no cable?.....Come on, just give me one of your crazy buys! :devil:

What's the story behind your Simon Pure tray?

BTW, that would make a nice Christmas gift for a certain mod who's not so Simon Pure. ;)

Nice of you to be looking out for Simon like that.