Wisconsin Judge temporarily blocks Walker bill

Oh! Oh! Mr. Kotter... Oh! Oh! Mr. Kotter pick me!

Because the 12% union members and the respect and unity that their union predecessors fought for?

Wow, I'm surprised it took this long for someone to say this. It's not the 20's anymore. The unions have done their job and they're not needed anymore. They can run along now.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, I'm surprised it took this long for someone to say this. It's not the 20's anymore. The unions have done their job and they're not needed anymore. They can run along now.

Wow, I surprised it didn't take somebody faster to say this.

So the answer to your question:

"Why do a vast majority of the 88% of non-union workers have fair wages, benefits and safe working conditions?"

Answer: Unions.

And yes unions are still needed. Of course in diminished capacity, but they are still needed to keep what they won from being lost.

Just heard from a teacher friend that some WNY schools are closed today. I asked if it was a snow day and she said no. Teachers are "complaining" (not sure if that means they're striking or all calling in sick) that they're working too many days in regard to their contract. How can someone who works 10 months out of the year complain about working too many days? And then take another day off. And of course this is a paid day off I'm assuming. So the kids are not learning anythingn today. Yup, it's all about the children isn't it.

Ten months?

Try 180 days a year, Jim. A full year's salary for a half a year's work.Only in education!

Wow, I surprised it didn't take somebody faster to say this.

So the answer to your question:

"Why do a vast majority of the 88% of non-union workers have fair wages, benefits and safe working conditions?"

Answer: Unions.

And yes unions are still needed. Of course in diminished capacity, but they are still needed to keep what they won from being lost.

IF that was all the unions wanted: stability and maintenance of the status quo, then fine. But, they have yet to prove this to anyone.

And, the Federal Government has taken over almost all of the union's job: OSHA, FDA, DoD, FTC, NLRB, etc. We have institutionalized the jobs unions used to do, so why are they necessary?

IMHO, you need to make a choice: either get rid of these Federal institutions, or, get rid of the unions.

I am for getting rid of the institutions, because I want unions to have the flexibility of working to reward people in good times, and tighten up in bad, and to be able to negotiate things specific to the businesses with whom they are dealing. It does neither labor, or management, any good to have a third class of people, i.e. "government OSHA employee" who can cost both money and time, without adding anything to the equation for anybody. You will find this same issue in many forms, in many different industries.

I am pro-"old school" union. Where you had to earn your card, and not everybody was allowed to join. I am also for "right to work". IF the union isn't doing the job, then the best workers should have the right to leave the union, and make their own separate deal with management, without fear of reprisal.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

[rant]

I am so !@#$ing sick of the whole "teachers are underpaid" bull ****. Teachers are valuable...and they should be rewarded for their work..and its certainly a noble profession. But lets STOP this faux outrage about howw they are taken advantage of, shall well?

Teachers get a good salary for working 10 months a year. FREE healthcare. FREE pensions...and oh....after working a grand total of three years....a guaranteed job for life.

They get rewarded plently.

[rant]

I am so !@#$ing sick of the whole "teachers are underpaid" bull ****. Teachers are valuable...and they should be rewarded for their work..and its certainly a noble profession. But lets STOP this faux outrage about howw they are taken advantage of, shall well?

Teachers get a good salary for working 10 months a year. FREE healthcare. FREE pensions...and oh....after working a grand total of three years....a guaranteed job for life.

They get rewarded plently.

On that note i'm going to interject with a rambling story about me... a ways back I considered going to school to be a teacher..even took a few education classes. Besides realizing that I didn't actually want to teach but instead wanted the "teacher lifestyle". While after looking around and realizing that; wow...there sure are a lot of other people just like me getting pumped out of college to be "teachers" that all have the same idea of how great this job is. and how few job openings there were... moral of the story is in supply and demand there were tons of recent graduates and few jobs for them to go into. If the current teacher pay/benefits are enough to generate that type of demand in the job market, its probably an over valued career and can afford to take pay/benefit cuts just the same as any private sector job.