Obama makes a bold move durin these trying times

The criticism is as valid as that leveled at GW for heading to Crawford.

After all, Brazil is an unimportant banana republic, so why bother visiting the newly elected president there?

The criticism is as valid as that leveled at GW for heading to Crawford.

After all, Brazil is an unimportant banana republic, so why bother visiting the newly elected president there?

"The president is taking this trip because he is committed to growing the economy [and] rebalancing our national security posture,” White House press secretary Jay Carney shot back on Tuesday when an incredulous reporter asked if he would consider delaying the five-day swing through Brazil, Chile and El Salvador

Who's economy and security?

The "no leadership" narrative is being repeated very often these days, and it's taking a firm hold on both sides of the aisle. He's been getting creamed for stuff like his NCAA bracket and golfing during the peak of the Libyan battles. As a writer at NRO commented last week, “At least with Nero, Romans got to listen to music.”

Photos of him on sandy beaches in Rio will probably not a good backdrop to the body bags piling up in Japan.

Don't misunderstand. I'm not approaching this from a critical viewpoint, but rather from a strategic one. Anyone paying attention knows there is very little he can do about Japan. But that doesn't mean it's a good idea to specifically go someplace safe, warm and sunny where the world will see photos of him actually DOING very little...in relative terms.

The "no leadership" narrative is being repeated very often these days, and it's taking a firm hold on both sides of the aisle. He's been getting creamed for stuff like his NCAA bracket and golfing during the peak of the Libyan battles. As a writer at NRO commented last week, “At least with Nero, Romans got to listen to music.”

Photos of him on sandy beaches in Rio will probably not a good backdrop to the body bags piling up in Japan.

Don't misunderstand. I'm not approaching this from a critical viewpoint, but rather from a strategic one. Anyone paying attention knows there is very little he can do about Japan. But that doesn't mean it's a good idea to specifically go someplace safe, warm and sunny where the world will see photos of him actually DOING very little...in relative terms.

And had he gone, the right would've jumped on it as exactly that, a photo op.

Besides that, what about whats going on in this country? Housing down. Unemployment. Inflation. Hell, in his position I would be personally involved in the Japan situation. Just out of compassion. I guess his arrogance and confidence are limitless.

:lol: No, you wouldn't. The President doesn't have that kind of freedom or ability.

I'm not saying he goes there. Just make sure we are doing all we can. For moral support. Just me but I know thats what I would be doing. He's so concerned with global civil rights, health and so on,(if you read any of his past speeches before he was potus) you would think this would be a perfect opportunity for him.

I'm not saying he goes there. Just make sure we are doing all we can. For moral support.

I'm sure he is. Just like Bush did for Katrina. At that level, if you're smart, you get occasional status updates and leave the people under you alone to do their job unless there's something that desperately needs your attention (e.g. Bush putting NORTHCOM in charge of New Orleans). If you're stupid, you flutter around like a hyperthyroidic butterfly, accomplishing nothing and irritating the **** out of the people responsible and getting in their way. Quite honestly, Obama going to Rio is probably the BEST reaction he can take.

Anyone know where Bush I was when Desert Shield kicked off into Desert Storm? At Kennebunkport. Because there was nothing he could do other than make a nuisance of himself; all responsibility for everything was in-theater at that point.

Where in that post did he suggest the the Prez should be heading to Japan?

Just saying that he'll never please anyone who dislikes him no matter what. I agree with GG, same would happen when GW would take his vacations and people would piss on him.

Btw, you will hopefully appreciate this, I have a 48 inch Blue Star arriving tomorrow....

Anyone know where Bush I was when Desert Shield kicked off into Desert Storm? At Kennebunkport. Because there was nothing he could do other than make a nuisance of himself; all responsibility for everything was in-theater at that point.

That is in the USA right?

Maybe be he could "feel a little pain" and keep his travel domestic to "help the economy"

I'm sure he is. Just like Bush did for Katrina. At that level, if you're smart, you get occasional status updates and leave the people under you alone to do their job unless there's something that desperately needs your attention (e.g. Bush putting NORTHCOM in charge of New Orleans). If you're stupid, you flutter around like a hyperthyroidic butterfly, accomplishing nothing and irritating the **** out of the people responsible and getting in their way. Quite honestly, Obama going to Rio is probably the BEST reaction he can take.

Maybe your right. I should be thankful he's out of the country.

Just saying that he'll never please anyone who dislikes him no matter what. I agree with GG, same would happen when GW would take his vacations and people would piss on him.

Btw, you will hopefully appreciate this, I have a 48 inch Blue Star arriving tomorrow....

Sorry I had to look that up. Very nice and congrats. When I was a professional chef we just called them a stove. :lol:

College life must be good.

Looking at the Blue Stars or Capitol myself. But probably can only swing the 36 model :)

College life must be good.

Looking at the Blue Stars or Capitol myself. But probably can only swing the 36 model :)

As a former professional cook, and given that it will (most likely) be my last range--and definitely last kitchen renovation--ever, I decided to go for it.

(I was leaning toward Capital initially because they have a rotisserie in the oven, which would've been cool.)