Losing our Draftees

Damian

Say we have the draft and the Bills pick whomever you thought was the best choice, but the court battle gets ugly and the season is cancelled/severely delayed. My worry is that the CFL (or some new startup league) pulls a Tom Cousineau, and swoops in on the top picks of the draft and starts offering contracts. The draftees would find it hard to say no to the money now versus money a year later (with a rookie wage cap looking likely). Imagine the outcry if the the top 10-15 picks go to the CFL. Teams would be demanding a redo of the draft or compensatory picks for the next year.

On a side note, did the Bills receive any compensation from the NFL for Tom Cousineau bolting to the CFL in '79 or Jim Kelly going to the USFL?

Say we have the draft and the Bills pick whomever you thought was the best choice, but the court battle gets ugly and the season is cancelled/severely delayed. My worry is that the CFL (or some new startup league) pulls a Tom Cousineau, and swoops in on the top picks of the draft and starts offering contracts. The draftees would find it hard to say no to the money now versus money a year later (with a rookie wage cap looking likely). Imagine the outcry if the the top 10-15 picks go to the CFL. Teams would be demanding a redo of the draft or compensatory picks for the next year.

On a side note, did the Bills receive any compensation from the NFL for Tom Cousineau bolting to the CFL in '79 or Jim Kelly going to the USFL?

This is an interesting, and very scary, thought. I also have been wondering, if there was no season next year, would the players drafted in 2011 be able to re-enter the 2012 draft? They wouldn't have signed contracts yet, so what would prevent them from doing so? I remember some discussion, during Michael Crabtree's extended holdout, that he could possibly re-enter the next year's draft if a deal was not reached before a certain date.

Anyone have knowledge of this?

There is no deal that the CFL would be able to offer the top draftees that wouldn't be bested by the NFL--even with a rookie cap.

The CFL does not have the resources to steal anyone of note. These kids all are rightly assuming they will be playing in he NFL very soon.

The Bills were never compensated for Cousineau or Kelly, for good reason: it was their own fault they didn't sign them. The NFL doesn't compensate anybody for players not in the league. It only compensates when players move within the league -- free agents for draft choices.

This is an interesting, and very scary, thought. I also have been wondering, if there was no season next year, would the players drafted in 2011 be able to re-enter the 2012 draft? They wouldn't have signed contracts yet, so what would prevent them from doing so? I remember some discussion, during Michael Crabtree's extended holdout, that he could possibly re-enter the next year's draft if a deal was not reached before a certain date.

Anyone have knowledge of this?

March of the year after they were drafted.

Basically you have 11months to sign the player before they go back in the draft.

That's the crazy thing if there is no CBA the entire 2012 draft would be both class years.

Or the players that got drafted by the Steelers and Patriots could choose not to renter and wait for a CBA and the players that got drafted by the Bills and the Briwns can re-enter and see if they land in greener pastures.

Crazy

March of the year after they were drafted.

Basically you have 11months to sign the player before they go back in the draft.

That's the crazy thing if there is no CBA the entire 2012 draft would be both class years.

Or the players that got drafted by the Steelers and Patriots could choose not to renter and wait for a CBA and the players that got drafted by the Bills and the Briwns can re-enter and see if they land in greener pastures.

Crazy

Some things to remember:

No 2012 draft without a CBA- I doubt a CBA would put everyone back in the draft

The 11 month rule isn't 11 calendar months, it's till the close of the league year I believe. Might be splitting hairs but big difference in perspective

The cfl has a salary cap of 4million for entire teams. They'd be hardpressed to target the last 15 players drafted, yet alone first 15. The economics of the NFL are just too different. This isn't the same game as the 80s.

I know there is some talk of a rival league stealing players but, seriously, it would have to get pretty bad for players to risk injury for chump change, which is what they would earn in the UFL or CFL. UDFA-types I can see, but if you are a sure NFL pick it's too big a gamble.

PTR

I know there is some talk of a rival league stealing players but, seriously, it would have to get pretty bad for players to risk injury for chump change, which is what they would earn in the UFL or CFL. UDFA-types I can see, but if you are a sure NFL pick it's too big a gamble.

PTR

Very true. The NFL has just outpaced pretty much any other... Well... Anything... When it comes to salary growth. By doing so they have created what amounts to a fiercely loyal pool of players (as ironic as that sounds given the current situation). You couldn't fill out a starting 22 in the cfl with paying guys the equivalent of the NFL league minimum - you'd be like 50% over the cap with just those 22.... Even though they are arguing over cash right now, the 10th draft pick will make a bigger signing bonus then entire team salaries in the cfl