Government Jobs

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/16/us/16ohio.html?_r=1&ref=us

Interesting article on how the lack of private jobs over the decades has made government jobs look like the only way into the middle class

Nice way to take an article on a specific depressed area and make a generalized statement. Just think, if we all had government jobs we could all be middle class!

Ohio Town Sees Public Job as Only Route to Middle Class

Jodi and Ralph Taylor are public workers whose jobs as a janitor and a sewer manager cover life’s basics. They have moved out of a trailer into a house, do not have to rely on food stamps and sometimes even splurge for the spicy wing specials at the Courtside Bar and Grill.

So in one town in Ohio, government jobs are middle class jobs, if "middle class" is defined as "janitorial staff that can occasionally pay cash for chicken wings".

Just curious...what's "upper class"? Happy hour Bud Lights at Applebees?

So in one town in Ohio, government jobs are middle class jobs, if "middle class" is defined as "janitorial staff that can occasionally pay cash for chicken wings".

Well, it makes sense, since that's about as far as a good gov't education will take you.

Genny Light and a Mighty Taco.

You are from Western New York???

Oh, I forgot, its all the government's fault! :doh:

You are from Western New York???

Oh, I forgot, its all the government's fault! :doh:

So let me ask the obvious question. When there are no private-sector jobs to pay the taxes to support the public-sector jobs, where's the money coming from?

So let me ask the obvious question. When there are no private-sector jobs to pay the taxes to support the public-sector jobs, where's the money coming from?

I am a gov't worker and pay taxes... I am Fed and pay into social security... I pay state and federal taxes. The money I pay in offsets my own salary to a point... Sure it takes more... But the benefits to both public sector entities and private sector entities comes out in the wash. Like my line of work, the private sector is getting great bang for its buck and is not being charged for the service outside of my wage/salary. The problem is, it is hard to pin a set dollar amount on certain benefits the gov't provides.

There will never be a day when all private sector jobs are lost and same with gov't sector jobs. Of course there needs to be equillibrium. Your idea of equillibrium is not my idea of equillibrium.

PRINT MORE MONEY! duh geeze

Oh.. .On another note... I just had a nice talk with the general contractor @ work... They have been brought in to do some HVAC work... Seems he is not too hip on taxes, this and that. YET, this is the same guy that is gladly taking 300% more from the gov't by doing the contract they (gov't) has laid out. What is up with that? I just bit my lip... Hard to believe, I know...;) ;)

You know what, the work is crappy... I am no expert on HVAC... But if it was my house, I would be pissed only because spending that much (could have got other systems for way less)... One demands perfection. People out there are really going through the motions including the ones pissing and moaning how high their taxes are.

Back to your regularly scheduled program.

PRINT MORE MONEY! duh geeze

The public sector IS supporting the private sector with very valuable benefits... Well, at least in my line of work. And not just grossly overpaying for contract work.

That is such a good question! What are we going to do when all the jobs are moved overeseas or automated? Where will people work? And when it becomes necessary to create more government jobs how will it be paid for?

And of course there is this:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thelookout/20110316/ts_yblog_thelookout/chart-shows-low-tax-burden-for-rich;_ylt=AiV27KxAkaPsCSaVlP3_lzdH2ocA;_ylu=X3oDMTQ1czQ4ZmMwBGFzc2V0A3libG9nX3RoZWxvb2tvdXQvMjAxMTAzMTYvY2hhcnQtc2hvd3MtbG93LXRheC1idXJkZW4tZm9yLXJpY2gEY2NvZGUDbXBfZWNfOF8xMARjcG9zAzQEcG9zAzQEc2VjA3luX3RvcF9zdG9yaWVzBHNsawNjaGFydHNob3dzbG8-

:w00t:

Let me ask this obvious question. What the f does everybody think happened to Western New York, and everywhere else in New York that isn't NYC, other than public-sector unions, entitlement leeches and their corrupted politician enablers? Upstate New York has been in "recession" mode for 10 years.

Do any of you realize how this state got so many Medicaid people over the last 30 years? They moved here. From all over. Why? Because Federal law says Medicaid = Mac and Cheese. But, New York, in the infinite wisdom of it's mostly liberal leaders, decided to serve filet mingon. So, poor people form everywhere slowly started moving here.

Over the last 30 years we have taxed away all of our job creators and brought in legions of entitlement mouths to feed, based on hubris and sheer stupidity.

Now, we have all these non-functional people, out of control unions, 0 accountability for bad parenting, and some want to know why Medicaid is bankrupting the state, and we can't get our solid kids, or new businesses to stay here? :wallbash: Are you dense?

That is such a good question! What are we going to do when all the jobs are moved overeseas or automated? Where will people work? And when it becomes necessary to create more government jobs how will it be paid for?

And of course there is this:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thelookout/20110316/ts_yblog_thelookout/chart-shows-low-tax-burden-for-rich;_ylt=AiV27KxAkaPsCSaVlP3_lzdH2ocA;_ylu=X3oDMTQ1czQ4ZmMwBGFzc2V0A3libG9nX3RoZWxvb2tvdXQvMjAxMTAzMTYvY2hhcnQtc2hvd3MtbG93LXRheC1idXJkZW4tZm9yLXJpY2gEY2NvZGUDbXBfZWNfOF8xMARjcG9zAzQEcG9zAzQEc2VjA3luX3RvcF9zdG9yaWVzBHNsawNjaGFydHNob3dzbG8-

And there you have it, once again: we don't have a spending problem! We have a revenue problem!

And there you have it, once again: we don't have a spending problem! We have a revenue problem!

The pretty picture with all the colors really does make it seem legit, though.

Seriously, we already have thousands of underpaid daycare employees public school teachers. We have garbage men who make three times what a teacher makes, but they do handle our trash (the teachers that is). I guess the thing they have in common is public employees in a Union.

Oh.. .On another note... I just had a nice talk with the general contractor @ work... They have been brought in to do some HVAC work... Seems he is not too hip on taxes, this and that. YET, this is the same guy that is gladly taking 300% more from the gov't by doing the contract they (gov't) has laid out. What is up with that? I just bit my lip... Hard to believe, I know...;) ;)

You know what, the work is crappy... I am no expert on HVAC... But if it was my house, I would be pissed only because spending that much (could have got other systems for way less)... One demands perfection. People out there are really going through the motions including the ones pissing and moaning how high their taxes are.

Back to your regularly scheduled program.

Wow. You just made one hell of a case against the government and why our taxes are so high.

The public sector IS supporting the private sector with very valuable benefits... Well, at least in my line of work. And not just grossly overpaying for contract work.

Wow. You just made one hell of a case against the government and why our taxes are so high.

Edited by 3rdnlng