Mayor of New York takes deliberate cheap shot at Buffalo

In a question-and-answer session with reporters in New York, he said the problems facing the Big Apple are "problems of success." He referred to a shortage of classrooms, roads and housing. Bloomberg went on to say that other cities don't have these issues, but he didn't stop there.

"Buffalo would love to have our problems," he said. "There's an awful lot of free space in Buffalo, New York, if you want to go there. I don't think you do."

http://www.buffalonews.com/city/article368554.ece

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i like buffalo. i like new york city. if i was 25 with no ties, i'd likely move there.

and if i was 48, as i am, but also with say plenty of money at hand, i'd likely move there, too.

i like living in buffalo. if i could, i'd enjoy living in NYC.

to quote Stevie Johnson: "Why so serious?"

jw

Different strokes for different folks.

What's disgusting is that he's trying to rationalize NYC's problems by saying NYC > Buffalo.

Which essentially divorces him from taking responsibility for his city's problems provided more people would rather live in NYC than Buffalo.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

OK so the Buffalo Politicos get "upset," they get over it, and nothing else happens.

I like neither Bloomberg nor New York City BUT New York City has J-O-B-S and Buffalo does not. Neither do Rochester, Syracuse, Albany etc.

If Buffalo and all the other major cities in New York State would cut taxes, offer business incentives, and do a lot more to encourage more and new business to locate here, perhaps Bloomberg would envy us rather than take cheap shots which, while they are cheap shots, have a ring of truth to them.

NYC had better look at it's own situation rather than slandering others. It has to ask why it's budget is failing and they have to lay off 1,000 teachers, even though Wall Street firms --- who pay NYC taxes -- are earning record profits.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

How does he know that no one in NYC wants to relocate to Buffalo? Is there no one every year that doesn't move from NYC to Buffalo? How does he know that no one in Buffalo chose to live there vs NYC?

I love hometown pride -- but let's not compare Buffalo (or Rochester where I'm from) to NYC. For good or bad, you'll lose every time. NYC is one of, if not the best, city in the world. Not just the state.

I love hometown pride -- but let's not compare Buffalo (or Rochester where I'm from) to NYC. For good or bad, you'll lose every time. NYC is one of, if not the best, city in the world. Not just the state.

You think YET a lot of people making the choice to move out of there every year. Explain please ...

You think YET a lot of people making the choice to move out of there every year. Explain please ...

That's not how you quantify it, Joe and you know it. Of course people move out. When you have a population of close to 14 million, that happens. Should he have said it? Probably not, it was a cheap shot but that doesn't mean it's not true.

NYC is a mecca for culture, the arts, sports, night life. Very few cities in the history of mankind can compare to what NYC has to offer on a daily basis. I love WNY. But NYC has more opportunities to expand your mind, your soul and your bank account than nearly any other city on the planet.

Saying that isn't true because people move out of NYC every day makes you look silly.

Again, different strokes for different folks. A lot of people move out of NYC every year because of the education system: private costs a fortune, $30K/year, and public is an over crowded mess. How's that a superior city in every way?

The Met, The Guggenheim, Lincoln Center, MoMa, Carnagie Hall, Radio City Music Hall, Broadway, The Garden, Chinatown, Little Italy, NYU, Columbia, some of the best public, private and charter schools in the country, Central Park, the Yankees, The Mets, The Knicks, The Statue of Liberty -- do I really need to go on?

Of course it's different strokes for different folks. But an OBJECTIVE view of the opportunities NYC presents in comparison to Buffalo ... come on. Like I said, I love home town pride, but be reasonable. NYC is one of the best cities in the history of mankind. Buffalo and Rochester are nice. But can't compare.

Edited by tgreg99

The Met, The Guggenheim, Lincoln Center, MoMa, Carnagie Hall, Radio City Music Hall, Broadway, The Garden, Chinatown, Little Italy, NYU, Columbia, some of the best public, private and charter schools in the country, Central Park, the Yankees, The Mets, The Knicks, The Statue of Liberty -- do I really need to go on?

Of course it's different strokes for different folks. But an OBJECTIVE view of the opportunities NYC presents in comparison to Buffalo ... come on. Like I said, I love home town pride, but be reasonable. NYC is one of the best cities in the history of mankind. Buffalo and Rochester are nice. But can't compare.

I fully agree with your argument that people do this.

I just fundamentally disagree that having more gilded distractions makes ones life more meaningful, somehow.

NYC brings with it many costs, few of them monetary.

I fully agree with your argument that people do this.

I just fundamentally disagree that having more gilded distractions makes ones life more meaningful, somehow.

NYC brings with it many costs, few of them monetary.

But they're not distractions -- they're opportunities. You have more opportunity to learn first hand about culture and the arts in NYC than you do Buffalo. There are certainly tremendous differences and trade offs, there always will be when you're talking about a population that is nearly 14 times the size of the city you're trying to compare it to.

Again, I don't want to trash my hometown either. I love Rochester and Buffalo. They provide a far different lifestyle than NYC. But they also have trade offs. If I want to go see a world class museum I have to drive 7 hours. In NYC you walk down a few blocks. To think NYC somehow has less to offer than Buffalo or Rochester is just false. It has more to offer in every way -- good and bad -- than almost every other city in the world.