Mayor of New York takes deliberate cheap shot at Buffalo

All you do is keep rehashing the way YOU evaluate a city. Here you have the mayor of a city that's letting go 1,000 teachers because it's in a budget crisis saying "our problems are a product of success" and "at least we're not Buffalo." Does that sound like a responsible mayor to you? Laying off 1,000 teachers from already over crowded classrooms a "sign of success?" I dont have the stats, but I bet Buffalo has a better student - teacher ratio. For a lot of people THAT DOES MATTER. Not you of course, but you don't speak for 100% of the people.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All you do is keep rehashing the way YOU evaluate a city. Here you have the mayor of a city that's letting go 1,000 teachers because it's in a budget crisis saying "our problems are a product of success" and "at least we're not Buffalo." Does that sound like a responsible mayor to you? Laying off 1,000 teachers from already over crowded classrooms a "sign of success?" I dont have the stats, but I bet Buffalo has a better student - teacher ratio. For a lot of people THAT DOES MATTER. Not you of course, but you don't speak for 100% of the people.

As best I can tell with a quick search, the ratios are pretty close with buffalo having a slight (I'm talking about like 1 less student per teacher) edge. The flip side, while kids in buffalo read about immigration NYC kids have close access to Ellis island. If you want to make the most of your opportunities, NYC has infinitely more on the table for you. It's not an opinion, it's just true. That isn't an insult, but I get that given the context his comment is insulting.

I'm not saying it's perfect, without flaw and everyone would always choose city life but to compare the two? Buffalo isn't winning many battles, yet alone the war.

Just not true. A lot of people don't care for NYC. They think the people are cold, and the city is congested. Not saying that's true or not BUT you can't deny that a lot of people would choose a smaller "liveable" city like Buffalo over NYC. And heck if it's all that and more versus any other city on the planet, there's even less of an excuse for it to be in a budget crisis which requires gutting its teacher ranks.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Just not true. A lot of people don't care for NYC. They think the people are cold, and the city is congested. Not saying that's true or not BUT you can't deny that a lot of people would choose a smaller "liveable" city like Buffalo over NYC. And heck if it's all that and more versus any other city on the planet, there's even less of an excuse for it to be in a budget crisis which requires gutting its teacher ranks.

Joe - no one is saying NYC is for everyone but to say Buffalo has more gravity if you will, is... probably not true. Buffalo offers some alternatives but not near the volume of opportunities, niches, etc... Different strokes for different folks and NYC isn't for everyone by any means but there are a lot more different strokes to be found in NYC and in general you really are fighting just to be argumentative.

You are arguing against a point no one is making.

Edited by NoSaint

Oh really ..... then what do you make of: "NYC is a mecca for culture, the arts, sports, night life. Very few cities in the history of mankind can compare to what NYC has to offer on a daily basis"

Again, not saying Buffalo has the same draw as NYC ... the huge population differential says it's not ... however not everyone given a choice would opt for NYC. Many many people leave NYC for more "liveable" cities all the time. I know a successful businessman in Buffalo for example, who does more work in NYC than Buffalo, but chooses to live in Buffalo and spend more commuting time as a result.

Oh really ..... then what do you make of: "NYC is a mecca for culture, the arts, sports, night life. Very few cities in the history of mankind can compare to what NYC has to offer on a daily basis"

Again, not saying Buffalo has the same draw as NYC ... the huge population differential says it's not ... however not everyone given a choice would opt for NYC. Many many people leave NYC for more "liveable" cities all the time. I know a successful businessman in Buffalo for example, who does more work in NYC than Buffalo, but chooses to live in Buffalo and spend more commuting time as a result.

When you name a city that has more of those things, I'll listen. He's not saying everyone must choose to live NYC but that quite frankly on most measurable dimensions it is unmatched. It's not where I'd choose to start a farm either, but that doesn't mean that a farm town has more to offer. Nor does that insult a farmer. When it comes to arts, diversity, entertainment, opportunity.... Buffalo pales in comparison.

To be crude (and I'm sure you'll rip this), your kind of arguing a super model vs your average girl next door. Plenty of people are meant to be with girls next door, but to say she's winning the beauty contest is unlikely. There's nothing wrong with that, nor should there be. You find what makes you happy but if it's the things he listed- buffalo isn't the place for you really.

Edited by NoSaint

Pluck NY City.

<3 Davidson County!

And don't bother coming here if you don't speak english.

I'm in new orleans which marches to the beat of a pretty unique drum. It's a cool place to be and certainly a lifestyle I'd be hardpressed to find in NYC but I'm not kidding myself and saying there's more here. There's considerably less but what I have is different and works for me.

The only problem I have is the:

"...I don't think you do."

Part of his comment.

Why would he do that... I mean it is uncalled for. The mayor of NYC has a lot of influence. That comment hurts BFLO even more? Why be negative... It isn't like BFLO is doing anything bad... Both NYC and BFLO are in the same state and live by the same laws.

If anyting, you would think he would want people to lessen the burden on NYC and move upstate... No??

When you name a city that has more of those things, I'll listen. He's not saying everyone must choose to live NYC but that quite frankly on most measurable dimensions it is unmatched. It's not where I'd choose to start a farm either, but that doesn't mean that a farm town has more to offer. Nor does that insult a farmer. When it comes to arts, diversity, entertainment, opportunity.... Buffalo pales in comparison.

To be crude (and I'm sure you'll rip this), your kind of arguing a super model vs your average girl next door. Plenty of people are meant to be with girls next door, but to say she's winning the beauty contest is unlikely. There's nothing wrong with that, nor should there be. You find what makes you happy but if it's the things he listed- buffalo isn't the place for you really.

Thats not the point at all. Not everyone equates "more things to do" with "place I'd prefer to live." Plenty of other factors go into the decision .... climate, schools, jobs, people, location, "liveability", proximity to family, etc etc.

Anyway, none of this has anything to with the mayor of one city trying to deflect from his serious problems at home by taking a cheap shot at another city. Thats the real point, so let's say hypothetically we agreed 100% of the people would choose to live in NY over Buffalo. That it's an irrefutable fact ... so what? Again, how does that get Bloomberg and his massive budget crisis off the hook? I dont see Buffalo laying off a proportional number of teachers. He could have said an almost limitless amount of "true" statements and it wouldn't excuse the situation in NYC.

Thats not the point at all. Not everyone equates "more things to do" with "place I'd prefer to live." Plenty of other factors go into the decision .... climate, schools, jobs, people, location, "liveability", proximity to family, etc etc.

Anyway, none of this has anything to with the mayor of one city trying to deflect from his serious problems at home by taking a cheap shot at another city. Thats the real point, so let's say hypothetically we agreed 100% of the people would choose to live in NY over Buffalo. That it's an irrefutable fact ... so what? Again, how does that get Bloomberg and his massive budget crisis off the hook? I dont see Buffalo laying off a proportional number of teachers. He could have said an almost limitless amount of "true" statements and it wouldn't excuse the situation in NYC.

Exactly. He threw BFLO under the bus so he could deflect the attention. Gee... Thanks Mayor!

You're arguing (and I'm not sure why) about how NYC is run. How it's run has little to no bearing on what opportunities exist in NYC, which is the only point I'm making. I never said, nor meant to imply, that everyone on the planet would want to live in NYC. I did mean to state that while it's not for everyone, the fact is that if you compare the two cities in terms of what they offer their residents, well, there's no comparison really. NYC offers ten times what Buffalo does. That's not taking a shot at Buffalo -- hell, there are few (if any) cities in the world that can offer what NYC can. THAT'S the point I'm making.

You're upset because the mayor took a shot at Buffalo -- that's fine and justified. You read it as a shot, and maybe it was (it was certainly tactless) but really the point he was making was that despite it's flaws, NYC is still an amazing city. It was a shi**y choice of words, but trying to make it a big issue just, like what he said was an outrageous slander against the good name of Buffalo, is a battle you won't ever win.

This. :beer:

It seems that you are so hurt and offended by the comment that you just aren't reading any of the replies tgregg and I wrote. As I've said before, you are arguing against something neither of us said, and I'm not quite sure why. I dont agree with your hypothetical that everyone wants to live there. I don't know if you missed my post about being quite happy where I live.

I even agreed that the context of the comment was silly to have made....

Edited by NoSaint

Where's Simon when you need him? <_<

Send him a PM, he's sure to respond.

dumb comment, I don't even know his party affiliation. The only one injecting partisan into this is you. Get off the Faux-News enema.

Then you are sadly uninformed.

LA > NYC

IMHO

Having lived here now for a bit over 3 years, LA is certainly great. It has a ton to offer, you just have to look for it. In NYC, everything is right there because in terms of mileage, the city is small (hell, it's an island). LA has a TON of great things, they're just really spread out so you have to really want to find them/go to them to appreciate all it has to offer.

Still, LA is pretty rad.