My New Blankie

ajzepp

Some of you guys know about and/or have participated in the Sleep Apnea thread we have going on here somewhere...I've had sleep issues all of my life, and a big part of the problem was my apnea issue. I've been using BiPAP (like CPAP) since around last July and it's completely changed my life.

Anyway, I've always been a believer in having a good mattress, especially since it's something you'll be using for 1/3 of your life for however many years you have it. I've always tended to go on the cheap when it came to bedding, however, mainly because I really didn't know anything about egyptian this or pima that...and it's really just not something most guys care about typically. Well, that's all changed.

I've made some bedding-related purchases lately that have me looking forward to going to sleep for the first time since I took a discus to the head back in the 8th grade. My usual M.O. is to stay up as late as possible until the very brink of when I can get the least amount of sleep possible and still function the next day. And since I've been on the BiPAP, that number is usually about 4.5 hr. Well, since I've upgraded my level of comfort significantly, I'm getting closer to 6.5hr each night and loving it.

I didn't get a lot of help from the TBD community last year when I was thinking about getting some better quality sheets, but you guys aren't really to blame since I'm sure most of you didn't know any more about them than I did. But through my research I eventually found a company called Thomas Lee. They had glowing reviews of their stuff all over the place, so I ordered a pair and love them. Recently I wanted to find something else to use as a bed spread other than a blanket, so I hit the web again in research mode and came across the perfect comforter. I tend to get hot when I sleep, so I wanted something that would not trap all the heat in, and something that was light enough to use in all climates. I came across some comforters that were 100% mulberry silk on the inside (i.e. the fill), but light cotton on the outside. I then went back to Thomas Lee and ordered one of their Duvet covers to go on the comforter.

The end result? I'm sleeping like a King. I spent far more on bedding than I ever figured I would, but considering how much use I'll get out of it, it's a great investment. This is an area of my life I will never take for granted again. I know some of you guys can pretty much sleep standing up, but I'm the exact opposite. So for all you guys (and gals) who are like me and tend to really not like bed time or the constant struggle to get sleep, consider going with a comfort makeover...you'll love it!

Here's some links to the stuff I got in case anyone is interested...

Best comforter EVER

Never knew what a "duvet" even was!

Pima cotton sheets rule!

1. I took a discus to the head back in the 8th grade.

2. I didn't get a lot of help from the TBD community last year when I was thinking about getting some better quality sheets,

1. It suddenly all makes sense.

2. You didn't ask me.

Nurses and sheets. There's a correlation. Wifey is an RN - though in a different career now. She makes up a bed that would put a Marine DI to shame. She thanks Martha Stewart for making America aware of 300 tpi sheets of Egyptian cotton a-la how Julia single handedly elevated American cooking from TV dinners of fish dicks, cole slaw and tartar sauce to sole meuniere, fresh asparagus and hollandaise sauce.

I'll pass along the info to your fellow alumna. :thumbsup:

1. It suddenly all makes sense.

2. You didn't ask me.

True on both counts :lol:

Nurses and sheets. There's a correlation. Wifey is an RN - though in a different career now. She makes up a bed that would put a Marine DI to shame. She thanks Martha Stewart for making America aware of 300 tpi sheets of Egyptian cotton a-la how Julia single handedly elevated American cooking from TV dinners of fish dicks, cole slaw and tartar sauce to sole meuniere, fresh asparagus and hollandaise sauce.

I'll pass along the info to your fellow alumna. :thumbsup:

The fact that she made beds look like that means she took a lot of pride in her job as an RN. Patients really appreciate that, so I respect the fact that she did that for them. :thumbsup:

"...Roll me in designer sheets

I'll never get enough..."

Nothing below 700 thread count (cotton) for this indifferent liberal! ;) ;) Then when I am on shift, I can sleep anywhere... :lol:

One of these days I'll have to try those 1800 tc egyptian cotton sheets to see what the fuss is all about...I've seen some of those things going for like $800 a set!

ok, I'll bite....

What is a Duvet Cover? Sounds like a drunken golfer asking for a head cover...

It's like a big pillowcase that you put the comforter into. One one side it buttons up and it helps keep the comforter in good condition. Just like sheets, there are all sorts of different levels of quality. This one from Thomas Lee is worth every penny, IMO...and I would have never considered spending $200 on a comforter, let alone a duvet! But I've seen the light :)

(Hmmmmmmmm, I wonder if this will fit into my suitcase.) :D

I'll have to keep a close eye on you... :devil:

I don't think you would enjoy overnight hiking trips.

I do like sleeping under the stars... Heck, winter tent camping is some of the best camping. And I love designer sheets too... Nothing but the high thread count cotton...Nothings beat it... AND believe it or not we have a duvet cover... I just never knew what it is called... Actually a couple of them to change the appearance.

Back to the hiking... I alluded to something similar earlier in the thread. I can sleep anyway, anytime of the day... Even in a mud hole...:D Yet, nothing beats designer seats... That is why I quoted the Blondie song... :D

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Over a comforter?... Is it like a comforter case?... You know, so you don't have to buy a whole new comforter. Wouoldn't a flat sheet be under the comforter?

Kind of like putting a condom over the comforter?

Kind of like putting a condom over the comforter?

Yes, except the comforter doesn't change sizes

Some of you guys know about and/or have participated in the Sleep Apnea thread we have going on here somewhere...I've had sleep issues all of my life, and a big part of the problem was my apnea issue.

I figured it was due to your massive intake of horrible television. ;)

ok, I'll bite....

What is a Duvet Cover? Sounds like a drunken golfer asking for a head cover...

Yup, it's a pillow case for a comforter. Basically something useless the linen industry sold women on concept of buying.