How Long Before The Nuclear Power Plant Situation..

Dante

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we all know reactors get hot and need circulating water to cool them. Nether the reactor or the generator where damaged by the earthquake. The generators were taken out by the tsunami and that alone caused the current crises. I assume the plants are at or near sea level[first mistake]. The trillion doller question is why were the generators placed in a location that was venerable to a flood? Why were they not placed high in the structure of the plant?

I think we all know reactors get hot and need circulating water to cool them. Nether the reactor or the generator where damaged by the earthquake. The generators were taken out by the tsunami and that alone caused the current crises. I assume the plants are at or near sea level[first mistake]. The trillion doller question is why were the generators placed in a location that was venerable to a flood? Why were they not placed high in the structure of the plant?

Cost? But we in this country get lambasted for spending too much.

Puting the generators upstairs costs to much?

You wouldn't think... But I have seen crazier things... You know how heavy a big genset is... The one we have to power the lock and dam is is lifted by a derrick barge... I would imagine these nuclear facility ones are 3 times as big.

Also, I don't know how old the plant is... But our original one at the lock was built into our power house... An old circa 1950's Detroit-Allison diesel... The thing was a monster and was in service to about 10 years ago.. Engine cooling lines were actually run from the river.. Algea was always a problem.

Now... They are all self-contained gensets... The one we have is about a 12'x20" big encloser (Cummins diesel inside) on concrete foundation.. The fuel is taken from a 500 gallon underground tank... The genset itself has a fuel tank in the floor... You know how heavy that must be when it is totally full?

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

I'm pro nuclear power but I'm against their refusal to advance from their 1950s-1960s technology.

Which would make sense, but of course doesn't. Partially because this analysis is coming from you, and, partially because it is people like you who have been blocking every single nuclear facility project for the last 30 years.

How exactly are we supposed to improve technology that doesn't exist, because you won't let us build it anywhere?

Opposition to an excellent form of clean and efficient energy does not make any sense. I like to think of myself as a logical and rational person with a huge respect for science. Many of my views will counter conservative views because I think that modern day conservatives are generally anti-science to some degree or another - highly religious, anti-evolution, etc... I don't like people who try to force their arbitrary morals on others or who ignore truths that are staring them in the face just to keep in line with their ideology. It's very hypocritical from a personal liberties point of view and simply pathetic from a thirst-for-knowledge point of view. "Have responsibility for yourself until you want to do things that don't align with our code." That's disgustingly hypocritical. "The Earth is 6,000 years old because the Bible says so." That's pathetically and willfully ignorant. I also happen to have a heart when it comes to people who I see as downtrodden or who come from bad situations, especially because I think I was given a lot and was born into a situation where I was able to thrive. You see that as liberal and maybe it is, but I'm always going to be rational first. Anything less is just a self-deceiving load of crap.

1. Then apply that thinking to Obamacare, and tell me how in the hell you support it. It is something we are supposed to take fully on faith, with 0 supporting evidence, and is the most egregious violation of "have responsibility for yourself" by the government, ever.

2. I don't like people who try to force their arbitrary morals, or anything, on people either: this is why I reject this misguided "progressive" horsechit equally as much as I reject any bible thumper's delusions of grandeur, and you should too.

I think they're the zionists.

Yes, if Dexter is involved, somehow we have to make environtology just one more front for the Jews trying to take over the world.

The capitalized "FRAUD" really brings back memories...

Like when you realize that there are Lyndon LaRoche people in between you and the rental car booths, and there's no way around them, and they purposely obstruct you? :wallbash:

That's Dexter's new name: Dexter LaRoche.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

Hey Odoriferous Crazy I think you can actually help with research into safer nuclear power - your head should make a wonderful Spallation Neutron Source in a ADS subcritical reactor people are working on, as your head is both immensely dense and not reflective at all.

Edited by ....lybob

The Japanese are an impressive people in a lot of ways.

"You are the only ones who can resolve a crisis. Retreat is unthinkable," Japanese Prime Minister Naota Kan told them,(Fukushima 50)

Kind of reminds me of WWII Japan

It's difficult for westerners to understand their collective attitude. I think much of it has to do with saving face. That's why their failure to admit the problem was a helluva lot worse then they let be known has caused them more trouble than it should have. They are a very proud people.

"You are the only ones who can resolve a crisis. Retreat is unthinkable," Japanese Prime Minister Naota Kan told them,(Fukushima 50)

Kind of reminds me of WWII Japan

I suspect there's something of a "Bushido" attitude that's taken hold among the workers there.

The Japanese as a culture are very polite any will hide bad news from the public to a fault. We may never know until it's too late how bad things are in japan. Doctors in Japan will not even tell the patient that they have cancer. Link

All this reminds me of the statements and press releases from WWII. "We won a great victory over the Americans! And another one! And another one!" Our glorious kamikaze units have sunk the enemy fleet! The war situation has developed not necessarily to Japan's advantage..."

All this reminds me of the statements and press releases from WWII. "We won a great victory over the Americans! And another one! And another one!" Our glorious kamikaze units have sunk the enemy fleet! The war situation has developed not necessarily to Japan's advantage..."

A friend of mine is married to a Japanese girl. Told me she was taught in school in Japan that the US started the war on Japan during WWII. :lol:

Edited by meazza

A friend of mine is married to a Japanese girl. Told me she was taught in school in Japan that the US started the war on Japan during WWII. :lol:

I am not gonna disagree with you... BUT, I may take flak for this: We were NOT squeaky clean in pushing them over the edge either.

5:3

2,1,0 Fire away people!

Yeah...from their perspective, we did, with the oil embargo in early '41.

Of course, their perspective ignores their invasion of Manchuria, of China proper, their annexation of French Indochina, and their on-again/off-again war with the Soviet Union. The Japanese, at the time, felt they had a right to pursue western-style imperalism in Asia, and we infringed that right...if you accept the Japanese premise, it logically follows that the US started it.